The Russian Revolution

Looks like another record cold night in store here in L.A.

Too cold for me to ride MX today.  Yesterday was brutal.

That's never happened before.

Weather in NYC have been 20 degrees above normal. We got 70 degrees 2 weekends back. Hmm...maybe it's time to buy that beach house in jersey shores. :lol:

• Replies 326
  • Created
  • Last Reply

we might be near KWs low in Copper if this bearish report is anything to go by??

Copper under pressure, aluminum market nervous

LONDON (Reuters) - Copper prices slipped on Monday as stocks rose further, while the aluminum market became more nervous as a squeeze tightened ahead of a key date later this week, anal cysts said.

Aluminum <MAL3> for three-month delivery closed slightly down at $2,700 a ton on the London Metal Exchange from Friday's $2,705 close.

Copper prices lost $120 to $5,630 a ton as stocks in LME warehouses rose 2,600 tonnes to 199,450 tonnes, more than twice their level at the start of 2006 and nearing 200,000.

"The market could get slightly rattled once we cross over that (200,000 ton mark)," anal cyst Edward Meir at Man Financial said.

http://today.reuters.com/news/articleinves...C1-ArticlePage3

Not from some "conspiracy site"...

ING Wholesale Banking issues long memo re: Attacking Iran:The market impact of a surprise Israeli strike on its nuclear facilities.

Conclusion

The financial markets are assuming that an attack on Iran by Israel or the US is unlikely. However, bellicose rhetoric from Israel and an imminent build-up of US forces in the Gulf suggest that they could be in for a shock.

Israel is concerned that Iran may have acquired nuclear weapons capability by the time the Bush administration leaves office at the end of 2008, and is determined to prevent this. With a diplomatic solution apparently still far off, Israel may take the opportunity to attack with the cover of two US aircraft carrier strike groups due to be in place in the Persian Gulf within weeks.

Given that risk assets are currently richly priced, they would suffer a dramatic reversal in the event of such an attack. This would involve sharp falls for stocks, corporate and emerging debt and emerging currencies. Safe havens such as government bonds, the euro, gold and oil would benefit.

How long these effects would persist would depend on the extent of any Iranian retaliation. The threat of a massive US military counter-strike might persuade the Iranians to limit their reprisals, in which case the financial market effects might quickly reverse their initial panic reactions.

most likely it will start with a Gulf of Tonkin angle -- hey Iran attacked us! we gotta defend ourselves, might as well take out their nuke projects at the same time

most Americans don't even know what Gulf of Tonkin events were

hell 20% of college students today couldn't even answer what MLK did, they thought he fought for abolition of slavery back in the 1800's!

so the same old ruses can be re-used by gov't with impunity because the maSSes are so ignorant

of course that is purpose of gov't run screwels

and BIG GAMES

adults running around in LT jerseys like 12-year-olds

keep 'em stupid and unproductive

jack their ARM's and taxes and insurance

Here's a fun map from Barry Ritzhold's blog "The Big Picture".

Equates each U.S. state GDP with the country it matches most closely.

Rather amazing really.

For example, the GDP of Rhode Island ($43B) is the same as the GDP of Vietnam. Only Rhode Island has 1 million residents while Vietnam has 83 million people. And Lousiana's GDP ($168B) is roughly the same as Indonesia. Only Louisiana has 4.4M residents while Indonesia has 246M.

Maybe the emerging market boom could last a while.

http://bigpicture.typepad.com/comments/

post-2169-1168917242_thumb.jpg

Winter arrived today in NH. Sort of. It got down to the mid-20s. And we had freezing rain. Which is something that I avoid driving in.

Usually we've already had mid-single-digits by now. So this is really nothing.

I sprinkled ice-melt for the first time since last winter. And have been wearing jackets instead of coats. I could get used to this for winter. It's cold enough to get rid of the bugs but no scraping ice and snow off windshields, slipping and sliding, cleaning the salt off the car and wearing heavier clothes all the time.

I haven't even put on boots this season.

BTW, LeeWhee, could you put up a few prison charts? Just curious how they've done as you posted a bunch on these in December.

why, I'm shocked! shocked I tell ya! :P

$1.2 Billion Fraud Scheme in Southern California

The operators of the Jovane Investment firm of Murrieta, and related businesses, including Stonewood Consulting, Inc., Pacific Wealth Management LLC (Nevada), Oetting Enterprises, and Sunburst Financial Systems, Inc., engaged in a real estate scheme involving perhaps as many as 5,000 home loans in the Southern California region.

watch now......here comes another 5,000 foreclosures dumped on the market :ph34r:

"most Americans don't even know what Gulf of Tonkin events were" :unsure:

Your assertion Mr Shorty assumes there were, in fact, events to be known!

I remember the news anchors breaking into evening TV shows with the breathless announcement of the "attack" on our ships. Pretty good evidence that absolutely nothing happened that evening.

Of course, today no such facade of legitimacy appears necessary. Johnson, at least, needed a vote to go to war. :ph34r:

Archived