B4 The Bell, Frieday, Jan 30

No offense taken, Howl. As several others pointed out, labels have become almost meaningless.

In Europe, the most conservative parties call themselves 'liberals'. The label 'liberal' here means something like 'libertarian' in the USA.

I like the realistic kind of conservatism of not making debt and remaining competitive. But I hate the dogmatic 'government is bad' and 'big business and the rich are good' ideology.

• Replies 399
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Powell's Case, a Year Later: Gaps in Picture of Iraq Arms

http://www.nytimes.com/2004/02/01/internat.../01WEAP.html?hp

Other officials, including some still serving in the administration, argue that Mr. Powell presented a case that paid too little attention to information that might have undermined the worst-case conclusions the administration was highlighting.

Advertisement

"They took every piece of information that proved their point and listed it," a former senior intelligence official who took part in the prewar debates said, referring to the senior C.I.A. officials whose analytical conclusions formed the basis of Mr. Powell's presentation. "They would disregard or make fun of any contrary evidence. They forgot they were making mere guesses, and even guesses have to be taken with caution. They didn't hedge or caveat. Instead they would say we're right and you're wrong and it's a matter of national security."

After the war, however, American weapons inspectors visited the suspected chemical sites, including one known as Al Muthanna, west of Baghdad. Dr. Kay reports that they found no significant evidence of chemical weapons production or stockpiles, and he says he believes that any pre-existing chemical weapons had probably been gradually destroyed through the 1990's. Congressional officials involved in inquiries into the intelligence community findings say they believe that the suspicious activities were indeed legitimate, and they say that what Mr. Powell described as decontamination vehicles may have been nothing more than fire trucks.

One former senior government official cited the episode as an example of an underlying flaw in the administration's working assumptions. Across the board, he said, the prewar assessment was based on "an analysis of Saddam that if he didn't have something to hide, he wouldn't have been behaving the way he did."

"That's a dangerous assumption for any intelligence agency to make," he said, "but that's what

Uh Oh !!!

Sunday February 1, 6:04 PM

Human transmission "possible explanation" for two Vietnamese dead: WHO

Human-to-human transmission of bird flu is a "possible explanation" in the case of two sisters who died from the disease in Vietnam, the World Health Organization revealed.

The pair, who fell ill on January 10 and died on January 23 in a Hanoi hospital, could have contracted the lethal H5N1 strain of influenza from their dead brother, the UN health agency said Sunday.

"The investigation has not been able to conclusively identify the source of infection for the two sisters," it said in a statement.

"However, WHO considers that limited human-to-human transmission, from the brother to his sisters, is one possible explanation."

The WHO has warned that H5N1 could combine with a human influenza virus to create a lethal new virus that could kill millions of people across the globe through human-to-human transmission.

http://sg.news.yahoo.com/040201/1/3hod1.html

This is a "way too hot topic"

I posted on the message board of Free Republic, and it got about twenty immeditate responses...then they pulled the posting.

I just tried to post the article from Ameritrade, and they pulled that too.

Me thinks some doth protest too much.

The moderator over there said:

"Why would it be a bad thing if they acted to prevent a market crash?"

Your comment about the margin issue at Ameritrade is VERY significant. If there ever is a crash, those who were margined long and have no ability to cover their debt will wipe out Ameritrade, leaving even those who happened to be short with no money at the end of the day.

What the hell are we doing trusting our money to these firms?

I'm suprised, Plunger.

Aside from bigotry, violence or overthrow of the government FreeRepublic is usually wide open.

They don't have advertising, so no econ incentive involved.

Do you suspect that Robinson is afraid of igniting a panic?

(Come to think of it, I haven't seen the shutdown mentioned on any of the major blogs.)

Uh Oh !!!

Sunday February 1, 6:04 PM

Human transmission "possible explanation" for two Vietnamese dead: WHO

Human-to-human transmission of bird flu is a "possible explanation" in the case of two sisters who died from the disease in Vietnam, the World Health Organization revealed.

The pair, who fell ill on January 10 and died on January 23 in a Hanoi hospital, could have contracted the lethal H5N1 strain of influenza from their dead brother, the UN health agency said Sunday.

"The investigation has not been able to conclusively identify the source of infection for the two sisters," it said in a statement.

"However, WHO considers that limited human-to-human transmission, from the brother to his sisters, is one possible explanation."

The WHO has warned that H5N1 could combine with a human influenza virus to create a lethal new virus that could kill millions of people across the globe through human-to-human transmission.

http://sg.news.yahoo.com/040201/1/3hod1.html

Uh-Oh! is right.

My daughter leaves for Bali on Tuesday by way of Taipei.

MH - I opened a thread on the tax code because the way it is currently structured, everybody gets screwed. I take an either /or position. Either get rid of that filthy payroll tax, or give me what I am paying for - medical care and a guaranteed pension. Right now we have the worst of both. 50% taxes and no benefit from them. Just as the boomers retire, the well will run dry.

I'm suprised, Plunger.

Aside from bigotry, violence or overthrow of the government FreeRepublic is usually wide open.

They don't have advertising, so no econ incentive involved.

Do you suspect that Robinson is afraid of igniting a panic?

(Come to think of it, I haven't seen the shutdown mentioned on any of the major blogs.)

I have no idea of the motives of Free Republic. The decision to pull my posting was obviously very knee-jerk, and likely just made by one individual moderator.

That single paragraph in CBS MarketWatch regarding the Ameritrade failure is literally the only press report I've been able to find on this subject...and as is evident by reading it, was a begrudging (and wholely inadequate) response to a reporters inquiry...and not a voluntary press release.

A company with the responsibility for 3 million investors money has a major system failure on a critical day in the markets (a key reveral day at a potential top) yet provides virtually no explanation. Ameritrade's own executives literally admitted to me by phone that the down move in the markets on that day would logically have been worse had their systems not been down.

They also admitted to me that they "had heard" of other online trading firms that were impacted as well, though despite my repeated demands for names and numbers-of-investors affected, they refused to give me that information.

Nothing to see here...move along please.

Welcome to the Truman Show.

Yours Truly,

The Lone Ranger

I have no idea of the motives of Free Republic. The decision to pull my posting was obviously very knee-jerk, and likely just made by one individual moderator.

That single paragraph in CBS MarketWatch regarding the Ameritrade failure is literally the only press report I've been able to find on this subject...and as is evident by reading it, was a begrudging (and wholely inadequate) response to a reporters inquiry...and not a voluntary press release.

A company with the responsibility for 3 million investors money has a major system failure on a critical day in the markets (a key reveral day at a potential top) yet provides virtually no explanation. Ameritrade's own executives literally admitted to me by phone that the down move in the markets on that day would logically have been worse had their systems not been down.

They also admitted to me that they "had heard" of other online trading firms that were impacted as well, though despite my repeated demands for names and numbers-of-investors affected, they refused to give me that information.

Nothing to see here...move along please.

Welcome to the Truman Show.

Yours Truly,

The Lone Ranger

Sounds like class action material to me. If interested in kicking something up, then use the "Email" button (please, please don't PM me) and we'll discuss setting something up. I have good securities counsel who I trust and who, if not willing or able to take the driver's seat, could certain refer us to someone with the ability and honesty to do so.

The fact is that none of these firms is going to say squat due to the risk of just this occurring. Lettuce run with it, if you're truly interested.

Repeat after me.

Law SUIT!

Law SUIT!

Law SUIT!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

We could set up a company to fund the suit. Fokker, Sphinxter, Plunger, Stool & Ass. LLC

Fokker isn't a litigious person, but his practice could use the biz, even if just assembling the names, taking the depositions, etc. Seriously- this shit is big, and it's precisely the shit that we've been ranting about for years. Let's put their money where our mouth is.

A very Baaaaad day in Iraq-but no one notices anymore-the violence escalates-the strategies employed by the bad guys become evermore sophisticated. It is obvious that some very well trained terrorists are involved in the ongoing carnage. The festering sore is getting bigger and uglier. The current troop rotation replaces the first line military with weekend warriors and the beat goes on. Over in Afghan land there is semi peace in Kabul but no where else. The point being how many lives and how many $'s and how many years will the public put up with this??

A very Baaaaad day in Iraq-but no one notices anymore-the violence escalates-the strategies employed by the bad guys become evermore sophisticated. It is obvious that some very well trained terrorists are involved in the ongoing carnage. The festering sore is getting bigger and uglier. The current troop rotation replaces the first line military with weekend warriors and the beat goes on. Over in Afghan land there is semi peace in Kabul but no where else. The point being how many lives and how many $'s and how many years will the public put up with this??

people are noticing - more and more each day

my daughters, brother-in-law, is there and just lost his two best freinds yesterday. now it has finally touched me, that is the way it works, slowly a critical mass will form, just like NAM, ( which I was a vet of)

many of those retuning will not support it and will be vocal ( just as I did upon my return from NAM)

they need only keep up the preasure and just like NAM the US will become more and more polorized.

this will end badly too.

ne

When you sign a NASD/NYSE customer agreement, don't you essentially sign away your right to sue?? You agree all disputes settled by binding arbitration?

So don't file the suit as an investor, but as a citizen of the United States of America. Screw the NASD and the Matrix. The damage done to this country by hijacking the markets extends far beyond individual investors. How do you think the giant offshore hedge funds who are trying to make money on the short side would view such a manipulation, if one in fact occured?

I doubt that all investors from around the world are subject to the NASD arbitration regulations.

Amertrade has literally admitted that this outage logically prevented the market from declining more than it would have otherwise on REVERSAL WEDNESDAY. That logically means that those of us who just happened to be loaded up on short positions on that day made less money than we would have otherwise.

What would the markets have doene on that day had this not occurred? What would they have done on the subsequent days? We'll never know. But unless somebody at Ameritrade or ComStock answers some very simple questions with some very comprehensive answers, we're all kidding ourselves about calling this thing a market.

As for a class action suit...I'm in no rush to get litigious, as the only people who make money from those things are the lawyers. This is not about a single occurance or Ameritrade or ComStock. This is about the truth. No, not that truth...THE REAL TRUTH.

Archived