B4 the Bell, Pre Friday April something 200?

Guest yobob1

• Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Dow Chemical to Cut 3,000 Jobs This Year

By SARAH KARUSH, Associated Press Writer

DETROIT - Dow Chemical Co. plans to cut 3,000 jobs, or 6.5 percent of its global work force, this year in a continuing push to boost productivity, company officials said Thursday.

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/a...ns_dow_chemical

Moving on, did anyone note that the general market weakness is being blamed on doubts about China's growth rate going forward?? Look at the commods.? A little blurb stated China cancelled soy bean orders with Brazil also.? A lot of weakness popping up? And yes this AM silver is headed for 5.50 as predicted.? Anything below that is a gift from the gods for those wishing to buy the real thing - which at this point is all I would consider buying.? You can play the miners for a bounce but be beary, beary careful as the downside could get nasty in a liquidity crisis.? Remember when the SELL cry goes out they sell what they CAN sell or to put it another way anything they can get a bid on.? Core holdings purchased long ago are likely fine but you may be in for a bumpy ride.? The good ones will have their day when it's time.? Also noted Newmont reported increased costs affecting profit.? I think if that's properly translated, what it really means is when gold was at $270 they had to run their best ore through to show any profit or stay afloat.? Considering how many years gold languished they ran a lot of their best ore.? That means they are now running a lot more rock through to get the same amount of gold.? I think you'll find most of the miners in that same position.? I think this has longer term implications on the total amount of gold produced going forward.

Someone also lamented, when in the hell are we going to make any money on this stuff (Precious metals).? Sorry you missed the point altogether.? They don't make you money, they are the only time tested real money that is not someone elses's debt.

Ok how about another cup of coffee? :lol:

I mentioned recently that I thought that the marginal cost of getting oil out of Iraq, if you count the cost of maintaining troops there, at about $100 a barrel. It may even be higher than that. And to think that Saddam in his last days actually ramped up production and sent most of his oil exports to the US - but that is another story.

I think if one took a hard look at the gold industry, when you add in all the exploration and development companies, the marginal cost of new gold sources may be $1000. I am not predicting that oil or gold will reach anywhere near these levels, but making the point extracting new stocks of natural resources has become a low profit adventure for most in the 21st century.

The Fed - As we have seen on many a Thursday, they cut back the size of the repo pool. We dropped back to Defcon 3 from Defcon 4 yesterday - but beware some financial disaster may still be around the corner.

DJ US To Sell $33.0 Bln T-Bills Monday (Vs $31.0 Bln)

WASHINGTON (Dow Jones)--The Treasury plans to pay down about $2.78 billion on the federal debt with the sale Monday of about $33.00 billion in short-term bills.

Maturing bills outstanding total $35.78 billion.

The sale amount is up from $33.00 billion sold at the previous weekly three- and six-month T-bill auction.

The offering will include $18.00 billion of 13-week bills, and $15.00 billion of 26-week bills, which will be dated May 6 and will mature Aug. 5 and Nov. 4, respectively.

The Federal Reserve holds $16.09 billion of maturing bills for its own account. It will likely roll over its holdings into new bills at either Monday's three- and six-month bill auction or Tuesday's four-week bill auction.

Noncompetitive tenders for the bills, available in minimum denominations of $1,000, must be received by noon EDT (1600 GMT) Monday.

Competitive tenders for the bills, available in minimum denominations of $1,000, must be received by 1 p.m. EDT (1700 GMT) Monday.

The CUSIP number for the three-month bills is 912795QW4, and the CUSIP number for the six-month bills is 912795RK9.

-By Rebecca Christie

Dow Jones Newswires

DCX

=DJ UPDATE: DaimlerChrysler 1Q Net Profit Falls 33%

By Chris Reiter

Of DOW JONES NEWSWIRES

BERLIN (Dow Jones)--Automaker DaimlerChrysler AG (DCX) Thursday posted a 33% drop in first-quarter net profit, burdened by losses at ailing Japanese partner Mitsubishi Motors Corp. (7211.TO).

The woes at Mitsubishi Motors and a charge related to the problem-ridden Toll Collect project offset a near doubling of Chrysler profits, while cash-cow Mercedes suffered a dip in earnings as it rolls out new models.

Archived