$46 billion in Cash

MRVL found some sellers i dont like the candle but i am a glutten for punishment.

and

Mesa's venture is expected to be operational in time for the 2008 Olympic Games, which will be hosted by Beijing.

and SLW got bid up ... heading to 14 ?

Bullish on this Electronic billboard maker ... I spotted another one in town...

post-3007-1178581343_thumb.jpg

post-3007-1178581383_thumb.jpg

post-3007-1178581471_thumb.jpg

post-3007-1178581511_thumb.jpg

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Legendary investor says he'd be willing to sell other stocks in order to make a major $5 billion to $20 billion investment.

May 7 2007: 6:23 AM EDT

OMAHA, Neb. (Reuters) -- Warren Buffett on Sunday said he would like to buy a "huge" business for his Berkshire Hathaway insurance and investment company, and would sell other investments to buy it.

"I would hope that something would come along that would force us to sell something that I like to buy (something) huge," Buffett said at a press conference. "We have plenty of things to sell if we needed to, but the cash is coming in faster than the ideas."

Charlie Munger, Buffett's second-in-command, added: "If it happens, I think we'll recognize it."

Omaha, Nebraska-based Berkshire (Charts, Fortune 500) has long said it would like to make a $5 billion to $20 billion acquisition. The company ended March with $46.03 billion of cash, and nearly $90 billion of cash and fixed-income securities on its balance sheet.

At Saturday's annual Berkshire shareholder meeting, Buffett said Berkshire would like to make more acquisitions. "The entire world is definitely on our radar screen, and we hope to be on its," Buffett said.

With a cash horde like that, Mr. Buffett could easily buy Apple Inc. and get in on the iPhone and iPod craze, before it's too late!

580749[/snapback]

:lol:

Warren already has the iBerk......actually a fresh 7 billion of 'em!

Shlock market margin at its finest....at zero percent!

post-565-1178581375_thumb.jpg

post-565-1178581399_thumb.jpg

Still long this beast...

post-1110-1178575066_thumb.jpg

580781[/snapback]

is there a AMEX symbol for this i think someone pointed out that many of the .TO stocks have amx symbol albeit less volume ...

580786[/snapback]

I'm guessing you are referring to the uranium play....u.to? I think Schwab has something called urptf.pk that is similar...

The dow being up 25 out of the last 28 sessions must be taking a toll here.

I haven't seen this site so dead before.

At this rate, i might need to move to a different site.

580776[/snapback]

Couple other sites that I frequent are also dead. I think that this market must be taking a heavy toll on retail traders. Predicting market is tough enough, but then trading against Pigmen makes this even tougher game to win on consistent basis despite unidirectional market.

Take a look at SLW, it finally ramped up and there is nothing you can do. You can own it and just wait for the Pigmen shank and ramp. They shanked it before disappointing earnings, they shanked after disappointing earnings, and than ramped it up afterwards.

Sow Piggy ShowDOWgs smacked into the 161.8% retracement of the Feb highs and March lows.

What can can the Sow do next?

I'm going to ....

post-1110-1178567379_thumb.jpg

580763[/snapback]

Disney Land? Maybe you mean BS Land in China.

http://www.bs-amusement-park.com/

fake-minnie-donald.jpg

"Some have claimed that the park is illegally copying Disney?s Minnie Mouse. However, the park?s operators have insisted that the character on the right is not a mouse. It is a cat with very large ears!"

http://www.japanprobe.com/?p=1678

to fellow frustrated bears,all I can say is try living in OZ for awhile. :ph34r: :ph34r:

This market is on steriods and from the look of things,it is only going higher.

If the US follows the lead of the ORBS,then 17000 on the DOW is a monty.

We have been in a T/O frenzy for nearly a year.

It looks like it is just beginning over there... :ph34r: :ph34r:

smallest range on the spy in awhile

GS stalled out

580761[/snapback]

Great day for scalpers like me.

ES on a 1.25 point range all day.

1515-1513.75.

I was In and Out..In and Out...In and Out...In and Out...In and Out...

Might be the same tommorrow.

580772[/snapback]

the good old in and out, trading the spooz like a cheena, hard way of making pretty polly, maybe ded Bernanke'll tolchock the market on wednesday.

580784[/snapback]

CLOCKWORK ORANGE MARKET

post-2479-1178584435_thumb.png

Sow Piggy ShowDOWgs smacked into the 161.8% retracement of the Feb highs and March lows.

What can can the Sow do next?

I'm going to ....

post-1110-1178567379_thumb.jpg

580763[/snapback]

Disney Land? Maybe you mean BS Land in China.

http://www.bs-amusement-park.com/

fake-minnie-donald.jpg

"Some have claimed that the park is illegally copying Disney?s Minnie Mouse. However, the park?s operators have insisted that the character on the right is not a mouse. It is a cat with very large ears!"

http://www.japanprobe.com/?p=1678

580792[/snapback]

Gotta admire their honesty: BS Land, fun for young and old.

"Disneyland is too far away. Please come Beijing Shijingshan Amusement Park!"

Sounds dang swell:

"Volume of stable tourists is between 1.1-1.5 million annually". Even more when you count the unstable ones.

BS Land was awarded the coveted government title of "Advanced Unit for Spiritual Civilization" three years in a row and "Civilized Tourist Spot" in 2000. Not to mention the "Advanced Unit in Implementing Birth Control Policy" and "Advance Unit in Voluntary Blood-Donation", likely due to the poor safety controls on its "thrill" rides which render riders sterile and unwitting blood donors.

"Brave visitors" won't want to miss the Gothic Cinderella Castle and the UFO Bicycle.

Here's a pic of four such "brave" children who have apparently been hurled from the roller coaster and are now paralyzed but very happy.

post-2169-1178585384_thumb.jpg

post-2169-1178585394_thumb.jpg

post-2169-1178585415_thumb.png

Bear boards everywhere are in bad shape.

I am holding cash and some dividend paying energy trusts. not too much time to play with stocks because I am actually working during my day job right now. :) I got a good break at work and am the project manager for all the IT at my company's next trade show in vegas, which is 30 days away.

Paulson is really going for it. Wonder how long these guys can keep the levitation going.

the outer areas of LA are starting to get hammered:

Henderson said that one major loan servicer, EMC, has a special customer service unit called The Mod Squad.

In a corporate world in which customer service personnel are pushed to handle as many calls as humanly possible, Henderson said, The Mod Squad's mandate is to talk to just three people a day and "do whatever it takes to get them back on track, to get them performing again."

If the borrowers are three payments of $2,000 behind, he said, a Mod Squad representative might offer to add $6,000 to the balance, enabling the borrower to start fresh.

The adjustable interest rate resets can be devastating.

A subprime rate of 6?% for two to three years, Henderson said, reset according to the financial index spelled out in the mortgage contract, "can go to 10%, putting the payment up $300, $400, $600. That will wipe somebody out. And it can adjust every six months. They keep floating with the Libor index or whatever it is tied to."

"When those things reset they get hammered."

If the borrowers are surprised when they get hammered thus, perhaps they were not paying attention when they signed the loan documents.

"It's always explained to them," Henderson said. "Everybody who's bought houses, they think it doesn't matter. 'The market has gone up $100,000 a year, so what could go wrong?' "

Henderson said that when offered the option of a two-to three-year fixed loan at a lower rate or a 30-year loan at a higher rate, "Everybody wants the shorter time. When the period is up, they need to refinance or the rate is going sky high. People say they are willing to take the chance."

Some people, he said, would take out equity every six months.

"They never expected to keep the loan more than two or three years. I'll try to talk them out of it."

He said that he has bailed out clients, advising them to "make your house payment and be happy. Then they would run up their cards again. I would talk them out of refinancing again."

Then, he said, a telemarketer would talk them into refinancing.

Henderson said that subprime loans have a place in the mortgage industry, and they give people the opportunity to move up from being renters.

"You can't build equity until you own it. You have to own it first. If you are renting you're going the other direction. Subprime loans allow people to enter the market and become homeowners," he said.

big trouble in little palmdale

The dow being up 25 out of the last 28 sessions must be taking a toll here.

I haven't seen this site so dead before.

At this rate, i might need to move to a different site.

580776[/snapback]

Couple other sites that I frequent are also dead. I think that this market must be taking a heavy toll on retail traders. Predicting market is tough enough, but than trading against Pigmen makes this even tougher game to win on consistent basis despite unidirectional market.

Take a look at SLW, it finally ramped up and there is nothing you can do. You can own it and just wait for the Pigmen shank and ramp. They shanked it before disappointing earnings, they shanked after disappointing earnings, and than ramped it up afterworlds.

580791[/snapback]

thats exactly when i bid on SLW, on the shank earnings down.

This thread needs something bearish...

Robert Shilling sees the subprime market as the burning fuse that'll ignite an explosion, pushing the economy into recession in 2007:

1. Stockholders earlier believed housing was "safe, until interest rates skyrocketed, but then came deflation in subprimes, the soft extrusion of the housing bubble."

2. "Now stockholders and most economists continue to believe subprime mortgage woes won't sink the rest of housing and the economy."

3. They even ignore "leaping subprime problems as teaser rates reset and the spreading difficulties" infecting Alt-A (lesser risk) mortgages.

4. As the contagion spreads, "lenders retrench and are pressured by regulators and the likely downgrades by rating agencies."

5. Next comes "the capitulation of housing speculators."

6. Add to that "procrastinating homeowners as the spring selling season bombs" and prices drop further.

7. Creating an "immense housing inventory overhang" of 2 million homes.

8. Meanwhile, "hopes that capital spending will replace housing as a growth engine have also faded."

9. "Foreign economic growth won't be a replacement."

10. And "rapid U.S. job growth won't offset faltering housing" ...

11. Because historically "residential activity falls before business cycles peak."

12. Next, the "declining construction employment and spending spread to the rest of the economy and overall jobs."

13. Finally, Shilling expects a 25% fall in house prices that "will mushroom these negative effects" as America's problems drag the world economy into a recession.

Also, CBOE equity put/call ratio very low today ...

gallery_3606_14_1178585508.png

Some more info. on my comments about today's young being debtors by design, rather than choice.

We've been talking about the mortgage debt bubble. Have you all considered a potential mass default on student loans?

False promoters of the "American Dream" like to push education as the silver bullet, except that education seems more inaccessible than ever. Consider also that some countries like the Philippines have tons of unemployed college graduates.

Some loan tactics resemble the subprime madness. The credit industry is truly out of control and out to enslave us.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/05/08/us/08def...&pagewanted=all

?Top Chef? Dreams Crushed by Student Loan Debt

Erica Reichlin at CatFish Max in Seaford, N.Y., on Long Island. She owed nearly $84,000 as a graduate of the California Culinary Institute.

Rick Park started working at a Jack in the Box in Austin, Tex., when he was 18. He moved on to sub shops, pizza parlors and chain restaurants, turning out hundreds of meals during a shift.

But Mr. Park wanted to be a chef. So like tens of thousands of other young people who grew up in the age of kitchen celebrities like Bobby Flay and Emeril Lagasse, he enrolled in culinary school.

Two years after graduation, all the ?Bam!? has been drained from the dream. Mr. Park makes $10.50 an hour at a bistro in Austin best known for its French fries, trying to pay down his student loans. While he dodges phone calls from the bank, his mother helps him make his $705 monthly payments, almost twice his weekly take-home pay.

?I wouldn?t wish this on anyone,? Mr. Park, 29, said before starting another night shift at the Hyde Park Bar and Grill. ?I put my degree on applications, and they make fun of me for it.?

Mr. Park said that when he and his mother met with a financial-aid counselor at the school, they were told that his payments on his private loan, from Sallie Mae, would be about $250 a month. But his first bill after graduation was for more than twice that, said his mother, Elise McClain, an English professor in Florida. They twice requested payment deferments while he looked for a job but when they began repaying the loan, both his principal and his monthly payment had risen again. The balance is now $46,198.88 at just over 16 percent interest.

?They had us sign a pack of papers,? Ms. McClain said. ?Of course, it was as big as a phone book and maybe I should have paid more attention. I just feel so stupid.?

Archived