IDS World Markets Thurs 4th October 07

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

*DJ Trichet: 3-Month Money Mkt Rates Signaling Tension

(MORE TO FOLLOW) Dow Jones Newswires

If Doc is right with some of the money market instruments, tension will be an understatement, off course all Central banks understate the bad which in turn overstate the good....

party on

*DJ Trichet: 3-Month Money Mkt Rates Signaling Tension

*DJ Trichet: Confident Money Mkt Tensions Will Be Surmounted

*DJ Trichet: Mkt Tensions Were "Very Acute" On Aug. 9

*DJ Trichet:ECB Reacted Immediately In Wake Of Aug. 9 Tensions

*DJ Trichet: Reason For Money Mkt Tension Not In Our Jurisdiction

If Doc is right with some of the money market instruments, tension will be an understatement, off course all Central banks understate the bad which in turn overstate the good....

party on

612540[/snapback]

*DJ Bear Stearns Pres: Tension In Market Easing In Past Month

Dow Jones Newswires

I guess you can add "tension" to your pigman dictionary

tension - describes a situation in which you can not get your money back

This all leads to me developing some context for you of the automaker reports out this week.  Ford was the largest decliner, but even Toyota - which I consider a global bellwether - was down 4%.  If consumer confidence declines further, and if consumers aren't willing to step up and continue buying at the frantic pace, the US 'consumer economy' could be in serious trouble.

Still, if I look at Armstrong's history, where auto stocks peaked around March 1929 - some seven months before the Crash, I have to look at the big carmakers, like GM whose stock hyas peaked this year in late June, Ford, which peaked on July 1st, and even Toyota, which peaked at the same time, and wonder "Hmmm...what happens 6-7 months from those old highs if the autos don't make new highs and darned quickly?"  Honda peaked two weeks after the pack.

http://urbansurvival.com/week.htm

612521[/snapback]

Toyota is one heck of a company. They have been steadily gaining market share in the US market this year, even as their number of units sold in the last few months are a bit lower than they were in the same period last year. Where the entire industry has sold almost 4% less units this year compared to 2006, Toyota has sold 3% more (Big 3 has sold about 11% less YTD vs. 2006, while Asian brands have grown 4% on average). In the last quarter, the place where they saw the biggest decline in units sold was Japan, not he U.S., due to the consumer retrenching there. But the interesting thing is the growth in units sold in Europe, Asia and the rest of the world, was much more than the downfall in Japan and in the U.S. And on top of that, even in the U.S. and Japan, where they sold less, they managed to earn more money in the quarter due to expense reductions, marketing efforts, and FX management. Even with all the volatility of the past few years, they haven't had an FX loss in any single quarter. Impressive. And the part I like most is that they make some really, really well made and nice looking cars.

(Yes, I own some :P )

It looks like the FED is draining $-25.25 billion today.

612548[/snapback]

They may do another repo. Last week and the week before they did a 7 day. The third action came at 9:50. IF they let this stick, it would be truly stunning.

DJ Fed Accepts $24 Bln In 7-Day RPs

Type of transaction: 7-Day RPs

Total accepted: $24 Bln

Total submitted: $94.15 Bln

Agency Collateral Operation

Total accepted: $5.04 Bln

Total submitted: $26.35 Bln

Stop-Out Rate: 4.76%

Weighted Average: 4.78%

High-rate submitted: 4.8%

Low-rate submitted: 4.65%

Treasury Collateral Operation

Total accepted: $18.32 Bln

Total submitted: $23.2 Bln

Stop-Out Rate: 4.63%

Weighted Average: 4.67%

High-rate submitted: 4.7%

Low-rate submitted: 4.5%

Mortgage-Backed Collateral Operations

Total accepted: $640 Mln

Total submitted: $44.6 Bln

Stop-Out Rate: 4.81%

Weighted Average: 4.81%

High-rate submitted: 4.81%

Low-rate submitted: 4.73%

(Data was provided by the New York Federal Reserve Bank).

Archived