B4 The Bell Moonday November 1

Guest Icky Twerp

My Stepdad lives in Los Alamos, arguably the smartest city in the world (by measuring PHDs per capita -- I don't wanna argue about that, just accept the premise, please...8^)...)

They vote with optical scanners: fill in the little circles and put it thru the scanner -- if there's a problem with the ballot it kicks it back out and the voter can remedy it.

Paper trail, automation, ergonomics, simplicity, what's not to like?

• Replies 267
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Ickster -the other night I watched an interview with the Goobenor of N.Dakota an affable oaf whose office was located across the street from his favorite restaurant "Arbys". He was asked if his electoral votes were in demand I forget they either had 3 or 4...his retort was "Hell if either candidate landed in my State it would be Pilot error." A good Goobenor methinks. ;)

;) ;) ;)

hey, that reminds me....about the Dakota's...what the heck happened to the Daschle-fight headlines? Hot and heavy for days, but suddenly went away completely. Nothing this weekend or today.... :huh:

I read that it's the most expensive campaign per-head in history. Something like 27 million bucks for just 275,000 voters. :P

Just seems weird that such a tight race, and involving Daschle, shouldn't have simply disappeared from the news like that....

Dunno if anyone has seen the latest Eminem video but it's rather good.

As a 50+er I'm amazed at myself for having just said that but here's some of the lyrics;rest in link.Video(no link) is spooky and threatening(by design methinks).

Let the president answer a higher anarchy

Strap him with an Ak-47, let him go, fight his own war

Let him impress daddy that way

No more blood for oil, we got our own battles to fight on our own soil

No more psychological warfare, to trick us to thinking that we ain't loyal

If we don't serve our own country, we're patronizing a hero

Look in his eyes its all lies

The stars and stripes, they've been swiped, washed out and wiped

And replaced with his own face, Mosh now or die

If I get sniped tonight you know why,

Cause I told you to fight.

http://www.azlyrics.com/lyrics/eminem/mosh.html

"They" control the US Postal Service?

Holy guacamole, Doc! Where do I send the thank you card?

You're making me look centrist and rational by comparison!

This was one office in one county, not the entire US Postal Service.

I think "they" counted on the US Postal Service to do what they are famous for... leaving envelopes containing the absentee ballots with too little bulk rate postage sitting in the dead letter file collecting dust until it was too late to matter.

The US Postal Service in that particular office can surely take the credit for being dispassionate about their job, no?

Dunno if anyone has seen the latest Eminem video but it's rather good.

As a 50+er I'm amazed at myself for having just said that but here's some of the lyrics;rest in link.Video(no link) is spooky and threatening(by design methinks).

Let the president answer a higher anarchy

Strap him with an Ak-47, let him go, fight his own war

Let him impress daddy that way

No more blood for oil, we got our own battles to fight on our own soil

No more psychological warfare, to trick us to thinking that we ain't loyal

If we don't serve our own country, we're patronizing a hero

Look in his eyes its all lies

The stars and stripes, they've been swiped, washed out and wiped

And replaced with his own face, Mosh now or die

If I get sniped tonight you know why,

Cause I told you to fight.

http://www.azlyrics.com/lyrics/eminem/mosh.html

Kid's no dummy huh?

My prediction:

The junta wins. It does not matter who votes for whom.

What matters is that the junta controls the election machinery in Florida and Ohio, and the Federal Courts where all the challenges wind up.

Then mass marches. Millions of people in the streets. Anti war protests. Problems with military. Some Repubs begin to get nervous, and bolt the party. Major parts of the country become nearly ungovernable. Media uproar.

Bush declares martial law. Some national guard troops refuse to fire on civilians.

Chaos. My prediction:

That means civil war. Gold to $1000.

Martial law? Hah.

I think the poopulation would roll over just like they did 4 years ago. There aren't that many of us who would say no to tyranny. At best, 60% of eligible voters will vote. The rest don't care. Thus, only about 30% of the poopulation would be upset. Of the 30%, at least 2/3 are weenie anti-gun losers who wouldn't know how to fight for their lives if their lives depended on it. Of the remaining 10%, a few percent would immigrate. The remainder is not enough. See Shay's rebellion...etc...any of the other populist rebellions in U.S. history. All crushed. This is facist police state 2004. Suck it up. Get used to it.

If it goes down that way...

:ph34r:

"They" control the US Postal Service?

Holy guacamole, Doc! Where do I send the thank you card?

You're making me look centrist and rational by comparison!

This was one office in one county, not the entire US Postal Service.

I think "they" counted on the US Postal Service to do what they are famous for... leaving envelopes containing the absentee ballots with too little bulk rate postage sitting in the dead letter file collecting dust until it was too late to matter.

The US Postal Service in that particular office can surely take the credit for being dispassionate about their job, no?

I think you are right Plunger. It is not a postal problem.

But funny how the same thing happened in my county in NJ. The person in charge here is a Republican in a Democratic area.

Unpaid postage bill delays Passaic ballot requests   

Friday, October 29, 2004

By KATHLEEN CARROLL

STAFF WRITER

About 1,150 applications for absentee ballots sat in postal limbo until Monday because Passaic County hadn't paid a postage bill - leaving those voters little time to take part in a tight presidential race.

"I'll rely on overnight mail or FedEx," said Brian Murphy, a graduate student at the University of Virginia who still hadn't received his ballot on Thursday. "How many people are going to do that?"

County Clerk Ronni Nochimson said Thursday that she didn't learn until Monday that the applications sent to her office with postage due sat in the city's main post office for six days because of an outstanding $540 postage bill.

So she hand-delivered a check and retrieved the applications. Employees worked past midnight to prepare the ballots, and put them in the mail on Tuesday, she said.

"We took care of the problem," Nochimson said. The last day for voters to mail in absentee ballot applications was Tuesday; the clerk's office had processed all of the detained ballot requests by then.

But, for worried absentee voters, hearing "the ballot's in the mail" is cold comfort. The real question is: Will they have enough time to receive their ballots, fill them out and mail them to the Passaic County Board of Elections? All absentee ballots must be received by 8 p.m. on Tuesday, when the polls close.

http://www.northjersey.com/page.php?qstr=e...UVFeXk2NjA1OTI4

This gets sweeter -

Nov. 2 (Bloomberg) -- Toyota Motor Corp.'s shares declined, after the world's second-biggest automaker had an unexpected quarterly profit drop. The maker of Camry sedans may have to spend more on incentives to maintain sales, anal cysts said.

This is why Japan will intervene.

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=100...YCI&refer=japan

SEG - no, we won't fight. we will leave.

Butter, I think SEG's analysis was spot-on, but your statement of intent made me very curious....and I'm not being facetious at all...I'm sincerely interested.

1) Where do you plan to go?

2) When you say "we", what sort of numbers would you expect to accompany you? Across the whole spectrum of dem's, i.e. white, black, rich academics, poorer factory workers, etc.; or is there only one of these subsets that you think likely to emigrate?

3) If K-co wins instead, but it sadly turns out that he continues the war, and his admin turns out to also be controlled by mega-corps and elite just like bushco, will you still go ?

By the way, I'm still thinking about your post earlier today, imploring Libertarians etc. to vote Dem. It was extremely well-written and moving. But the unfairness of it troubled me enough that I went out and split wood for an hour :lol:

I'm still not sure how to respond; or if you're even interested in how libertarians feel about such entreaties, so I've not said anything....but I did want to tell you how nicely written I thought it was. :D

Fugly. :( :angry: :ph34r: SUB-ROSA TRADE WAR

In the summer of the year 2003, Jay was made aware of a US Congressional delegation which made a month-long tour across several major machine tool plants in China...

Members touring the sites had clung to the glow of cooperative trade, and its certain mutual benefit. In all, seven sites were on the schedule to be toured. They proceeded, and the topic of debt was raised. Then came the shock. The businesses producing machine tools in China have almost zero debt. They pay as they go with cash for their equipment in a step by step fashion, earned as profit from ongoing operations and considerable profits. A few concluding dinners were assembled for the delegation, which had taken a more subdued tone, best described by outright dejection, defeat, and despair. A few members actually said ?China is going to bury us. The USA cannot compete with this? to each other, as well as to their hosts. Lost was the confidence and excitement, if not the good will. These are chilling words which bring a tingle down my spine as they stream onto the page. Our Chinese competitors are building their plant with export surplus, largely funded by our growing federal debt and consumer debt. This is an enormously dangerous pattern. These machine tool firms in China accumulate no debt. They have much lower labor costs. They have equipment more advanced than ours.

Comparative advantage? Are you daft, blind? Is your brain plugged into a video game? Where have you been in the last few years? No way. The Chinese advantage is universal. The biggest recent threat is the migration of the penultimate design function, highest on the food chain. We give away our only advantage (technology), as they slowly wrestle away the design function. See the Dell Computer summertime announcement of their design teams now working in Taiwan. A tragedy unfolds of epic proportions. Political leaders and their economic advisors encourage the ongoing gutting of our nation?s manufacturing and information based service economy. Our national economic policy is utterly incompetent, absent, void, vacant, empty, and emanates from numb skulls actively executing backward thought process and policies totally in conflict with established economic theory and precedent.

Our entire Global National Newscast was obsessed with your Election and yep Canada is biased toward Kerry not because he is a Dem but because he is not Shrub who up here is regarded as a Simpleton who thinks the earth is flat and war is the answer to everything. Your Northern neighbors are mightingly concerned and I can tell you if he is re-elected relations will continue downhill! ;)

Optimism Protects Against Death

Forbes - 1 hour ago

now that's what I call -bullish- ! :lol:

Dozer;

When Mrs. Dozer shoots from sitting position, tell her to bring up the right knee and use it to brace the right elbow.

Much more stable that way.

Archived