Mark To Market Memorial Forum

Gold. Dollar. Gold. Dollar. Gold. Dollar. Gold. Dollar. Gold. Dollar. Gold. Dollar. Gold. Dollar. Gold. Dollar. Gold. Dollar. Gold. Dollar. Gold. Dollar. Gold. Dollar. Gold. Dollar. Gold. Dollar. Gold. Dollar. Gold. Dollar. Gold. Dollar. Gold. Dollar. Gold. Dollar. Gold. Dollar. Gold. Dollar. Gold. Dollar.

If you listen carefully, you can almost hear something whispering in the breeze...what's it trying to tell you?

I think it's saying... "Panic now! Avoid the rush!!!" (PD trademarked saying)

Just hope the exits aren't blocked when you try to leave ... GLOBEX last week give anyone else the willies? What if that was a trial run to figure out how to screw you rather than a cute way to stem a waterfall?

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What a difference a few days makes . . . talk about bipolar :lol:

Meanwhile . . . some people are calling it as they see it . . .

Bearish Economic Outlook Looms As Yen Rises, U.S. Stagnates

Friday, May 9, 2003 (The Nihon Keizai Shimbun Friday morning edition)

TOKYO (Nikkei)--The yen's rapid appreciation over the past several days and the stagnating U.S. economy are causing concerns about the outlook of the Japanese economy to spread rapidly.

Also worrisome is the first downturn in five months in the index of leading economic indicators for March.

The Cabinet Office announced Thursday that the preliminary figure for the March index of leading economic indicators was 20%, plunging below the 50% boom-or-bust line. The level was the lowest since November 2001, when the index was 0%. Indicators for new job openings, housing starts, consumer confidence and the Topix declined.

The yen continued to rise Thursday in Tokyo, finishing the day at 116.32-36 to the dollar. The Japanese currency has risen 2.50 against the dollar so far this week.

The sudden appreciation is generating fears over the earnings of export-dependent companies.

If the U.S. economy fails to improve, the Japanese economy will likely deteriorate further.

The Cabinet Office announced Thursday that the preliminary figure for the March index of leading economic indicators was 20%, plunging below the 50% boom-or-bust line. The level was the lowest since November 2001, when the index was 0%.

:lol:

Bi-polar? ?

Good traders change on a dime with the market. I figured you wouldn't know that. :)

I was jokingly referrring to the board sentiment . . . all that talk about ledges . . .

Hit a nerve mentioning bi-polar, did I? :lol:

Yes- YES you did!

The net Feed today was $3.5 billion. They can't jam the dollar by printing more of them. Quite the opposite. In order to boost the dollar, central banks have to buy dollars, taking them out of circulation. The Fed, BoJ and EUCB have to buy dollars, which means selling other currencies, and/or gov paper, doing reverse repos etc. That means draining Feed. It's been my argument all along, the more they Feed, the more they will collapse the dollar, and eventually the bond market.

Hasn't happened to the bonds yet, but we may have seen a shot across the bow today with the near failure of the 10 year note auction. They came within a whisker of not selling the whole thing. Sooner or later Al will have to drain and tighten. Probably sooner.

These are the prerequisites for a crash in the stock market ala 1987. More in tonight's Anals, to be posted around 7:00 ET. To subscribe, click here.

I would have to think that some of the more sexist remarks here would be a real turnoff to our female stoolies. Perhaps we could tone them down just a wee bit please.

Muchass grassyass!

Archived