• Last Reply

10:00am 07/27/04 U.S. JUNE NEW HOME SALES DOWN 0.8% TO 1.33 MLN UNITS

10:00am 07/27/04 U.S. JULY CONSUMER EXPECTATIONS 105.8 VS. 100.8

10:00am 07/27/04 U.S. JULY PRESENT SITUATION INDEX 106.5 VS. 105.9

10:00am 07/27/04 U.S. JULY CONSUMER CONFIDENCE INDEX AT 2-YEAR HIGH

10:00am 07/27/04 U.S. JULY CONSUMER CONFIDENCE INDEX 106.1 V. 102.8

10:00am 07/27/04 U.S. JUNE NEW HOMES SALES DROP NOT AS SHARP AS FORECAST

Guest yobob1
I've looked at at a lot of the information as to why the twin towers collapsed and I'm afraid I have to go with, what you see is what you get.

Rube.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

No, I've just stayed further away from the halucinogens. No purple haze for me.

:lol:

I've looked at at a lot of the information as to why the twin towers collapsed and I'm afraid I have to go with, what you see is what you get.

Rube.

Yobob you might be right, but the disturbing thing about it is that there were no forensic analysis on the steel members after the collapse. The same company that scrapped the Okalhoma City Federal building without forensic analysis also shipped all of the World Trade Center scrap to India for recylcing. Why no forensic analysis at the worlds largest crime scene?

Rube.

Then, "unexperienced" rube!!

:lol: :lol:

Have you ever been experienced?

About your productive ore thesis, which I think is a good one, it occurs to me that one of the themes that the pro-commodities bull crowd makes is that "stuff" has been the object of underinvestment during the past 20 years... which one would expect as the result of a secular bear market.

In contrast, technology has been the object of massive overinvestment (in the sense that gross capital investment has exceeded the NPV of that investment), inspired by the delusion that every company a possible Microsoft, and every innovation a "killer app."

Here's the question: how much of the technology, which I believe will be available on the ever-more cheap during the next ~10 years has been applied to the dirty work of resource extraction _outside_ the energy patch? I know nothing of ore mining, sadly, except that it probably hasn't enjoyed a lot of capital investment, and therefore possibly not yet attracted the interest of entrepreneurs seeking to marry technological innovation to it.

But as the secular bull in commodities traverses its phases, and attracts capital, a wealth of technology currently available, but as-yet not applied, will come on stream, thereby driving down production costs in, say, the next 5 years.

I would suggest, finally, that such a development would be part & parcel to the secular commodity bull, since it would feed the investment story, as short-horizon anal cysts come to build overoptimistic cash flow models (sound familiar? :lol: :lol:) that rely on the recently-observed ROI that is not sustainable, because, essentially, what is being observed is a one-time surge from the application of cheap technology with abruptly abundant capital.

Archived