Long Weekend Discussion

• Replies 298
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A new toy for notebook geeks. $489 at Newegg and they are out of stock. It's a

high-speed flash drive that holds 32 GB of storage but uses very little power,

generates very little heat, is more durable than a hard drive and is lighter. The

memory is probably just those four chips. $500 is a lot of money for a measly 32 GB

but I'm sure that these are flying off the shelf.

In Q2 there will be 64 GB drives for hopefully much less money.

20-147-015-06.jpg

I wish I were joking, received a multi million dollar assessment from the I R S.  This is lunacy.  Is this common? It is obviously a mistake, please tell me these are easy to fix.

574140[/snapback]

Just call 'em and tell them to eff off. Say you're gonna blow up the nearest IRS building.

That usually works.

Subprime loans accounted for about 13% for first time buyers. It was mostly used for refi purposes, here is a good example from our favorite source thehousingbubbleblog:

The Denver Post reports from Colorado. ?Since it was established five months ago, the state?s foreclosure hotline has received more than 11,000 calls from people in jeopardy of foreclosure, said Zachary Urban, the administrator of the hotline. ?The majority of people don?t even know what kind of loan they have,? Urban said. ?That in itself is scary.??

?A big surprise was that 75 percent of those surveyed were refinancing, rather than purchasing, said Kathi Williams, director of the Colorado Division of Housing and co-chairwoman of the Foreclosure Prevention Task Force.?

??It?s very obvious that people were inspired by ads to pull cash out to pay off higher-interest credit cards,? she said.?

Keep that ATM machine busy until you can't...

Off topic...

Rather Stoolish picture from the Masters golf tourney of Phil Mickelson holding his nose with the caption: "The wind is making it more difficult."

Lesson learned: go easy on the burritos before playing in a major.

post-2169-1175825846_thumb.png

WASHINGTON (AP) -- The Global Positioning System, relied on for everything from navigating cars and airplanes to transferring money between banks, may be threatened by powerful solar flares, a panel of scientists warned Wednesday.

"Our increasingly technologically dependent society is becoming increasingly vulnerable to space weather," David L. Johnson, director of the National Weather Service, said at a briefing.

GPS receivers have become widely used in recent years, using satellite signals in navigating airplanes, ships and automobiles, and in using cell phones, mining, surveying and many other commercial uses.

Indeed, banks use the system to synchronize money transfers, "so space weather can affect all of us, right down to our wallet," said Anthea J. Coster, an atmospheric scientist at the Haystack Observatory of the Massachusetts Institute of Technology.

The cause for their concern, Johnson said, was an unexpected solar radio burst on December 6 that affected virtually every GPS receiver on the lighted half of Earth. Some receivers had a reduction in accuracy while others completely lost the ability to determine position, he said.

Coal stocks today remind me of the steel stocks back in December 2005 and January 2006.

Spectacular collapse from a peak.

Nice rally that failed.

Then another big selloff.

Then another huge volume breakout.

Nobody bought it because nobody believed it, after being burned so many times trying to pick a bottom.

574136[/snapback]

I wouldn't be a bit suprised. I keep buying support and selling resistance with 1/3 of the position (actually an extra 50% so the position at bottom is 150% of intended position, if that makes sense) until the breakout - then I would be perfectly happy to let it ride.

San MexDiego Foreclosures Bonering

During the month of February, San MexDiego homoaners were slapped with 1,386 new notices of default (NODs), which are filed when homoaners neglect to make their mrotgouge payments. As the first graph shows, this is more NODs than were delivered in any month during the housing downturn of the early 1990s.

The number of adjustable-rate loans subject to reset is expected to rise throughout 2007, according to asset management firm Credit Suisse. Many borrowers with reponer los pr?stamos carecer?n las ganancias esperadas de la equidad de hogar, y todo encarar? las condiciones circulantes que son m?s apretadas que ellos han sido para bastante alg?n tiempo. Espere m?s defectos adelante, y con ellos m?s debe vender el inventario.

post-2457-1175828677_thumb.jpg

BTU - 5 year daily

Support has been just at/above to 5 year uptrend line. Resistance at 200 dma. Today, BTU broke through, and then pulled back to the 200 dma.

post-1680-1175830563_thumb.jpg

Wndy: We need to know what your future in-law is about. See if he'll put 10% of the portfolio in precious coins. I doubt anyone in a 2 block radius of your neighborhood holds any.

574135[/snapback]

He's an 80-year old Jewish lawyer from Long Island. Ultra stubborn, impossible to have any meaningful discussion with him. He looks exactly like the deposed Shah of Iran. I call him the "Retired Dictator". He watches CNN 24/7 and is heavily immersed in politics. Doesn't really follow the stock market that much.

Got hosed big time by some brokers many years ago, so he refuses to take any stock tips or advice from anybody, including me. Only buys stocks in companies he knows, and thinks are "safe".

I suppose that if he lived in Houston instead of Long Island, he would have had all of his money piled into Enron.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

574137[/snapback]

Wyndy

I know these stubborn immovable tyrannical octagenarians with rhino scarred hides, so impervious to any form of rational narrative about anything....they hold onto what has helped them stand their ground during what ,Im sure ,was a very rough life..

To really argue with them,and alter their behaviour, is a form of emotional suicide--your brain will be torn to shreds when you finish banging yours against his. Stop turning your brain into a coral reef.

So what to do?

Turn him into a hobby! Imagine him as the anthropomorphisation of one of Dok's ever whirling cycles, a naturaly irresistable force that can

only be moved by something on the order of a metaphorical immovable object. Or better yet, a cycle of somewhat greater or lesser power impinging on him...

The human will when supported by financial success and augmented when someone close to him has been proven momentarily wrong is unalterable,irreparably beyond any human effort targeting him for change.

Even the Gods throw there hands down in despair----

Now for the last act to keep these remarks to a reasonable size---Imagine youself as sitting in a theatre as an audience of one--and Imagine that the Play you are about to see is a production of youurs, and yours alone: And voila! Imagine the play as being Wyndy's interpretation of "KING LEAR"!

Now sit back and relax and enjoy your f-in=laws Rendezvous with destiny.

beardrech :ph34r: :ph34r: Naturally you've got to have a heavily annotated copy 0f theplay in hand at all times. Andd use some of the lines, extrapolating the courtiers in the play along with youur G''friend playing Cordelia????

At some point in time You'll find yourself standing up at dinner with future F-in-Law staring in amazement as you burst out shouting" Shakespeare you sonofabitch I know you like a book"..........

Archived