B4 the Bell, Freedomday, Aug. 13, 2004

Guest yobob1

Rumsfeld was the weak link in the strategy. The whole plan will fail because of his hubris and arrogance...not to mention an Arab population who don't seem to take to kindly to ultimatums.

Also like to mention that the whole thing was just plain EVIL.

Real Dark Ages stuff that has little place in a "civilized" world and should cetainly have never emanated from a civilization as the United States.

• Replies 361
  • Created
  • Last Reply

More bullish news.

In the United States police reported a large blast at BP's 420,000-barrel-a-day Whiting, Ind., refinery, the nation's third biggest. There were no immediate details of the damage caused although police said the fire was under control.

Production stateside has also been disrupted by Hurricane Charley brewing in the Gulf of Mexico. Several oil companies have pulled workers from Gulf rigs and halted or slowed production.

The U.S. government also reported an unexpected drop in crude stocks earlier this week.

The oilmen know who butters their bread.

If gas prices do not climb on this news, the fix is in.

Consider it a 'soft-money' donation to their favorite candidate.

The "Mea Culpa" from the Washington Post on their failed pre-war coverage leaves me cold.

The pre-war coverage is a black mark on most of the fifth estate that could last for decades. It competes with the McCarthy era for hysterics. They bought the whole deal without the usual double checking of sources. They embraced the demonization of Saddam, the terrorists are everywhere all the time scenario, the weapons issue, all with only limited debate.

Now we can watch them as they try to clean up the mess and restore their place in the republic.

The "Mea Culpa" from the Washington Post on their failed pre-war coverage leaves me cold.
We parked in an alley about 100 yards from the main entrance of the Post. As soon as George had disarmed the guard, Henry blasted a huge hole in the pressroom window with his sawed-off shotgun. Then I pulled the pin on the grenade-mine contraption I had rigged and heaved it into the rollers of the nearest press, which was just being plated up for the night's run.

We ducked behind the masonry parapet while the bomb exploded, and then Henry and I hurriedly threw half-a-dozen thermite grenades into the pressroom ...

We had substantially damaged only one press with our bomb and smoked things up a bit with our incendiary grenades, one of which set a barrel of ink afire, but the Post had lost virtually none of its capacity for spreading its lies and venom as a result of our efforts.

- Andrew Macdonald, The Turner Diaries

American Reportedly Detained in Iran

By ALI AKBAR DAREINI

Associated Press Writer

August 13, 2004, 9:45 AM EDT

TEHRAN, Iran -- Security forces have detained an American man for illegally entering Iran from Pakistan, state television reported Friday.

An Iranian police officer confirmed to The Associated Press the Tuesday arrest of the unidentified American, saying his motives for crossing the border had not been determined.

The American was being interrogated, the officer said, speaking on condition of anonymity.

Iran has tightened security on its eastern border with Pakistan and Afghanistan to prevent infiltration by supporters of the al-Qaida terror group and the former Taliban regime in Afghanistan.

State television said the man was Jewish but did not identify him further. It said he was arrested in Sistan-Baluchestan, a southeastern province that borders Pakistan.

http://www.newsday.com/news/nationworld/wi...world-headlines

Interesting observation from Ed Hyman of ISI regarding yesterday's 10 year Treasury auction:

"The news (foreign central bank participation at a new high of 55%) underscores the low quality of US financing of the current account deficit - the US is relying less on private sector lenders and more on a rich uncle to keep us in the style to which we've been accustomed, but at least the uncle is well and still sending the checks."

ISI does solid analytical work, but lately I have detected a slant towards the "Matrix"; this comment about the "rich uncle" is surprising if one considers what happens IF Uncle stops sending the checks. An early POR by a "mainstream" economist perhaps?

ISI does solid analytical work, but lately I have detected a slant towards the "Matrix"; this comment about the "rich uncle" is surprising if one considers what happens IF Uncle stops sending the checks. An early POR by a "mainstream" economist perhaps?

For many years I regarded Ed Hyman as a quality source of economic work. He still is. However, since he started managing mutual funds, I find a good deal of editorializing and cheerleading in his pieces.

Color him matrix-ized.

But Plunger, According to Karl Rove and Cheney, the upper 1% are the entrepreneurial driving force of the economy. Why should they be taxed? Bush is only following the dictates of his heart and gut instincts and the suggestions of the brain implant. When that fails, the neuralizer is always handy. I hear it's so effective that whenever he feels common sence creeping into the forefront of his dim mental processes, he grabs it himself and self administers!

So now you know why we seldom see this mythical upper 1%. They're busy tinkering away in their garages coming up with new products and services for the greater good. Popeil's pocket fisherman, that was the creation of a reclusive billionaire who enjoyed fly fishing, when he wasn't donating time to some local charity. The vegematic--an aging oligarch who enjoyed bolstering his rice and beans diet with pureed vegetables, when he wasn't reading to blind children or repairing wheel chairs for polio victims.

I get so tired of anyone suggesting that this lot should be taxed like the rest of us.

Archived