IDS World Markets Fri 21st September 07

By the way, I bought my home in mid 1991 at the virtual bottom of the market. Sold it within 3 months of the statistical price peak in 2005. I'm pretty good at timing real estate. I've worked through and studied bubble-bust cycles long enough to have a pretty good feel. Real estate is pretty easy in that regard because the cycles and the conditions that accompany them are so consistent.

• Replies 263
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If there are any good deals that the Florida RE situation has uncovered, it's slightly used 2005/2006 luxury autos.

These were mostly bought by one of the trillions of "realtors" with their newfound or imaginary "wealth", and are probably being sold, repo-ed, or auctioned off en masse.

Probably some good deals out there with low mileage. :lol:

Northern Rock Shares Drop After U.K. Limits Guarantee

Northern Rock Plc stock fell 28 percent after the U.K. Treasury said it won't guarantee deposits into new accounts at the lender, which was bailed out by the Bank of England.

The U.K. Treasury won't protect new accounts set up at Northern Rock after midnight on Sept. 19, it said. The exception is re-opened accounts that were closed between Sept. 13 and 19. The Treasury also declined to protect debt instruments including covered bonds, subordinated and other hybrid capital, it said.

609520[/snapback]

Why on earth would people open new accounts in an institution that is in such dire straits?

Northern Rock Shares Drop After U.K. Limits Guarantee

Northern Rock Plc stock fell 28 percent after the U.K. Treasury said it won't guarantee deposits into new accounts at the lender, which was bailed out by the Bank of England.

The U.K. Treasury won't protect new accounts set up at Northern Rock after midnight on Sept. 19, it said. The exception is re-opened accounts that were closed between Sept. 13 and 19. The Treasury also declined to protect debt instruments including covered bonds, subordinated and other hybrid capital, it said.

609520[/snapback]

Why on earth would people open new accounts in an institution that is in such dire straits?

609587[/snapback]

Because the government first said it would guarantee them 100%. The government then realized its mistake, not wanting to suck deposits from otherwise healthy institutions to one on its deathbed, thereby increasing the hefty burden they had guaranteed. But you're right, I doubt that many people would have rushed in to move their money IN to Falling Rock. :lol:

DJ Fed Accepts $3 Bln In 3-Day RPs

Type of transaction: 3-Day RPs

Total accepted: $3 Bln

Total submitted: $36.8 Bln

Agency Collateral Operation

Total accepted: $141 Mln

Total submitted: $11.05 Bln

Stop-Out Rate: 4.73%

Weighted Average: 4.73%

High-rate submitted: 4.73%

Low-rate submitted: 4.62%

Treasury Collateral Operation

Total accepted: $2.859 Bln

Total submitted: $13.65 Bln

Stop-Out Rate: 4.62%

Weighted Average: 4.63%

High-rate submitted: 4.67%

Low-rate submitted: 4.58%

Mortgage-Backed Collateral Operations

Total accepted: None

Total submitted: $12.1 Bln

Stop-Out Rate: N/A

Weighted Average: N/A

High-rate submitted: 4.76%

Low-rate submitted: 4.65%

(Data was provided by the New York Federal Reserve Bank).

Radio Free Wall Street I have posted a free 6 minute snippet of this week's podcast, along with a free sample podcast of the entire September 12 program, which is still timely. This will be the only delayed free sample podcast for the foreseeable future. So listen while the listening is good, and then subscribe!

Loonie getting to par makes the front page in almost every paper in Canada

LOL

609595[/snapback]

I had heard a couple months ago that well healed Canadians were buying USD hand over fist when it hit 1.05 in preparation for their annual southern migration. Suckers. How they gonna feel this winter when it's at .80. Nice little haircut that'll be.

Archived