B4 The Bell Election Day November 2

I had expected the Supreme Court to at least hear the arguments about Ohio, but agian they are letting their biases show. :(

If it had been voted on with the full court, with Rehnquist out of action any vote of the Supreme Court which results in a 4-4 tie affirms a lower Court decision. Therefore any Court of Appeals decision may stand the way it is anyway.

• Replies 550
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I too will abstain, as Idaho is 80% plus mindless Republicans, 19.9999% independents (Perot almost won in Idaho) and 3 Democrats. :lol: Hitler would win here if he ran as a Republican.

Should Kerry win there is a small possibility of some "healing" in this country. If Bush wins we can all kiss our ass good-bye. This country will rip right down the center. This isn't a Bush - Kerry contest, it is a either you're with us or you're against us vote. Those of you in the key states will decide the anti-Bush vote

Hope Brian gets that guest room all spiffed up. Now where did I put my American to Canadian phrase book?

There are no quick fixes for America. Yet political campaigns are designed to give voters just such an impression. The day after tomorrow, this charade should come to an end. And just in time, I might add. In my view, 2005 could well be a year when many of America?s imbalances reach their tipping point. A failure to act would be the greatest tragedy of all. Looking at America?s problems through the lens of subpar saving suggests that deficit reduction and a weaker dollar should be at the top of the list of potential remedies -- remedies that, by the way, will have critical implications for world financial markets. Certainly, more can be done. But I can?t think of a better place to start.

On a personal note, I have to add that I have found this election campaign deeply disturbing. The tone of the debate is what troubles me the most. It has fanned a polarization in America and around the world that is right out of some of the darkest pages of history. It didn?t have to be that way. Out of the devastating tragedy of September 11 came a remarkable spirit of bipartisan solidarity. America was united and the world came together -- not just in grief and sorrow but also in hope for collective renewal. I remember being stuck in Europe in the days immediately after the attack on America, unable to return home at a time when I wanted nothing more. I was warmly embraced by our long steadfast allies, with a compassion and sincerity that deeply touched me. Their hearts were open and caring. Their home was my home.

That spirit has been squandered. Americans are at odds with one another, with a deep and worrisome intensity. And the world sees us in a stark, adversarial light. The cynics say this is just politics -- that such divisiveness is the norm, especially during times of war. I beg to differ. Today, polarization is playing on the character of America -- in the end, any nation?s most precious asset. Sadly, that character is now at risk, both at home and abroad. As dawn breaks the day after tomorrow, that will be the first thing on my mind.

Stephen Roach (New York)

Fox 'News' just reported that a Supreme Court justice declined to hear an appeal of the Sixth Circuit Court of Appeals decision mentioned by Hiding Bear. So apparently, poll challenges will be possible in Ohio today.

FUR the first time since voting in the Nixon-McGovern contest at age 18, I'll sit out this election.

I flatly refuse to endorse the Skull and Bones warmonger clowns on offer from the Depublicrat party.

Eff Bush ... eff Kerry ... eff the media ... and eff democracy. :blink: :lol: :lol:

thesun voted

thesun could never understand how Germany became an agent of hell in the 1930's and the 1940's

by taking no action you, are letting the USA slip deeper into the gates of hell.

thesun agrees that both are skull and bones. yet, one has control of the three parts of the goverment. and he is doing what ever he want to the people in the name of G_d.

Move your money from $USD to $CD

Buy CEF.

Didn't Kerry at least state that he thought the Patriot Act needed some changes?

Doc, your memory may be playing you false on that one.

He's spoken favorably, a few times, of suspending DoJ's power to demand people's book purchase and library withdrawal records, without a court order, as well as the power to bind librarians and bookstore clerks to silence on pain of felony prosecution.

That's the extent of his criticism of the USA PATRIOT Act, so-called. Some idea of his sincerity may be gathered from the fact that that he waited until after this was enacted ever to speak against this particular provision of the act. I'm not impressed by his election to defer criticism until a time when he knows it won't do any good.

Aside from that, he's said, publicly and repeatedly, there's nothing wrong with the USA PATRIOT Act that can't be fixed by getting a new Attorney General.

In other words, there's nothing wrong with tyrannical legislation, as long as we have wise, benevolent officials (himself and his appointees) to administer them.

Sen. Kerry helped write the provisions of the USA PATRIOT Act dealing with compulsory reporting of financial transactions.

Some people are appalled by the Bush administration's antagonistic attitude toward liberty. They hope or assume that Sen. Kerry has to be an improvement in that regard. They are mistaken.

Warning: Off Topic

WHY ARE THE WORLD OIL RESERVES SO LOW?

Check this out. Maybe Easy Al wasn't Easy enough in '96 - '97

The decline in the gold price from 1996 to 2001 preceded the decline in the world oil price from 1997. Instead of a dollar inflation, the US Federal Reserve - it's de facto central bank - was unwittingly presiding over monetary deflation!

It seems clear in hindsight what happened, but in early 1997 I foresaw what was going to happen and warned both Federal Reserve Chairman Alan Greenspan and the Clinton administration that the decline in the gold price was evidence of the beginnings of deflation, and that we would soon experience a decline in the dollar price of oil and all other commodities.

New capital investment in the infrastructure required to lift oil out of the ground and get it to the hands of consumers practically stopped dead.

...from 1998 to 2001, the world energy oil industry went on vacation.

Why did that happen? It was of course because it was not economic to make investments when the price of oil had fallen from $25 bbl, where infrastructure investment could make a profit, to $10 bbl.

By Jude Wanniski

(Busy server, but works)

It is surprising that the polls have Kerry carrying NY, given that the gov and mayor of NY are both part of the junta. They may not be able to counter the sheer volume of the numbers coming out of NYC.

Good luck to all of us who have spoken out on this board against what we see going on. We are going to need it. I feel a particular sense of risk, but I will continue to write what I think.

Good luck, and God bless, Stoolies. A time of great struggle and hardship lies ahead.

I know you don't want it discussed here, but the answer to your question about New York voters lies with the 9/11 issue. A vast majority there believe that Bush knew in advance. What could be a hotter issue for New Yorkers than that?

I went to vote at 8:0a.m.I was number 277. over 300 voters before I got out of there.

I am in western Michigan.

Hell I have voted in elections here 300 didn't show up all day. Busy day here in michigan.

Wonder what time it will be when Dan Rathernot will start telling us John Kerry won the state.

Guest libertas

A failure to win today means the practical end of the Democratic party in national politics in the US. The Democratic party has been weakening for years with the substantial loss of its Southern roots to the Republicans. The Republicans now dominate the state governorships, both federal houses and the presidency. While the choice of candidates is pathetic (as the Economist put it, the incompetent or the incoherent), the longer term consequences are very significant. A loss today will further weaken the Democratic party's ability to deliver benefits to its clients, resulting in further defections from its base of support. I do not think that even Hillary in 2008 would be able to salvage this defeat. Welcome to the single-party state.

Mars voted as did Mrs. Mars (aka she-who-must-be-obeyed). This was my first experience with the Dibold machines and they worked well. What they did with my vote after I cast it I don't know. Nor will anyone ever know because we do not have a paper trail nor a possiblity of a paper trail. Only a digital trail that will mean whatever it means.

I prefered the old optical readers. At least there was a paper record of the vote just in case.

A lot of folks have been talking about this election not being over for a long time. If there is no paper record (and there is not in many states) there is nothing to "recount" so the election is over when the polls close.

Archived