We Don't Need No Green Shoots

Mmmm. I don't think that's right. The $200 billion SFP funds on deposit at the Fed are borrowed short term. If they don't pay it back, they have to keep rolling it over. Only if they pay it back would there be no Treasury auctions for a brief time, but the revenue shortfall continues to grow, so it would only be a month or so before they would have to start borrowing heavily again. By telling everyone that they are not going to pay off the TARP, they are, in effect saying flat out that there will be no respite from the debt deluge.

That's my initial reaction.

Regardless, there is no respite from the debt deluge, right? Debt on top of debt.

TARP funds will never fully be repaid?

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Starting to think we have a shot at a tradeable top this week. Also could imagine 1100 by expiry. Or both.

I've been rabbiting on more than usual about astro stuff lately, but this week contains an absolute welter of potential reversal signatures.

All we need now to round things out is some Car People.

Mmmm. I don't think that's right. The $200 billion SFP funds on deposit at the Fed are borrowed short term. If they don't pay it back, they have to keep rolling it over. Only if they pay it back would there be no Treasury auctions for a brief time, but the revenue shortfall continues to grow, so it would only be a month or so before they would have to start borrowing heavily again. By telling everyone that they are not going to pay off the TARP, they are, in effect saying flat out that there will be no respite from the debt deluge.

That's my initial reaction.

Guess your right to the extent that so much Treasury debt is crammed into the short end. If you can allocate what borrowed dollar goes where, as in these 90 day bills are funding SFP I don't know.

Some Treasury flack said in hearings maybe 6 weeks ago there was $300 something billion in unused TARP money. The SFP acronym escapes me. The difference between 200 and 300 billion is pretty significant. That was only half my point however. Forgetting what the deficit impact is there is still the politically impossible fact that Geithner is sitting on a slush fund that he can do anything with. Anything. They are saying for if there is another problem. Do they have a particular problem in mind right now? Probably several. If there are 200 hundred billion sitting around somebody has their eye on it.

Instead of having 5000 economists on staff what the Fed needs is 5000 anthropologists, clinical psychologists, and historians.

Criminologists.

Don't forget the Criminologists.

And everyone of them should have a stable of FBI trained forensic accountants.

Archived