B4 The Bell Thursday November 4

I've taken IQ tests - several.  They are very dependent on education. Mostly vocabulary and problem solving but based on  principles one learns in a good all around educational system.  I am not surprised that states with the poorest rated schools would score lowest on IQ tests.

Butters.. I agree

After moving from San Diego to Alabama (average IQ of 90) , I'm not surprised AL is at the lower part of the list. Their school system inhibits advancement of brighter students. No advance courses (English, Math) for gifted students until high school. Now I do wonder how the AL school board expects a high % of AP capable students without preparing them during elementary and middle school years. Having 2 gifted children, I'm disgusted with the lack of focus the Southern states place on education. No wonder most of the Bible Belt region have the lowest IQ of all. Not a coincidence that they're all red, Republican, GeeDubya states. I suppose it serves the Neocons purpose to maintain ignorance in the mass. How else do you sell blind faith?

• Replies 378
  • Created
  • Last Reply

agreed shebear, and not just ignorance, but indoctrination too. We are raising some -confused- kids....

huh....I forgot about this jerk...blech...

"As the House majority leader, Tom DeLay, celebrated his election victory in Texas Tuesday night, the theme song playing in the background...."

Why couldn't he have gotten booted out with Daschle? That would've been so poetic. :lol:

We need term limits. No...we need term -prevention- ! :lol:

g'night all....I'm hittin' the hay too....good profits to all tomorrow...

I've taken IQ tests - several.  They are very dependent on education. Mostly vocabulary and problem solving but based on  principles one learns in a good all around educational system.  I am not surprised that states with the poorest rated schools would score lowest on IQ tests.

Butters.. I agree

After moving from San Diego to Alabama (average IQ of 90) , I'm not surprised AL is at the lower part of the list. Their school system inhibits advancement of brighter students. No advance courses (English, Math) for gifted students until high school. Now I do wonder how the AL school board expects a high % of AP capable students without preparing them during elementary and middle school years. Having 2 gifted children, I'm disgusted with the lack of focus the Southern states place on education. No wonder most of the Bible Belt region have the lowest IQ of all. Not a coincidence that they're all red, Republican, GeeDubya states. I suppose it serves the Neocons to maintain ignorance in the mass. How else do you sell blind faith?

IQ and education are two different things.

liberals/democrats/unions OWN the educational system. If they are concerned they will fix the problems. Here in CA we now average $9,500 spent per student. Close to $300k per classroom. Still, the kids don't learn. and people are crying for more money. There is more than enough. It's the system that is corrupt. I believe the only fix is to abolish public schooling entirely.

Butters.. I agree

After moving from San Diego to Alabama (average IQ of 90) , I'm not surprised AL is at the lower part of the list. Their school system inhibits advancement of brighter students. No advance courses (English, Math) for gifted students until high school. Now I do wonder how the AL school board expects a high % of AP capable students without preparing them during elementary and middle school years. Having 2 gifted children, I'm disgusted with the lack of focus the Southern states place on education. No wonder most of the Bible Belt region have the lowest IQ of all. Not a coincidence that they're all red, Republican, GeeDubya states. I suppose it serves the Neocons to maintain ignorance in the mass. How else do you sell blind faith?

IQ and education are two different things.

liberals/democrats/unions OWN the educational system. If they are concerned they will fix the problems. Here in CA we now average $9,500 spent per student. Close to $300k per classroom. Still, the kids don't learn. and people are crying for more money. There is more than enough. It's the system that is corrupt. I believe the only fix is to abolish public schooling entirely.

md.. The problems with our public school system are many faceted. Social problems, not enough financial funding, high administration costs, little pay for teachers, bureaucracy BS like the "leave no child behind" bill are some of them. I don't believe by abolishing the public school system will fix the problems. It would further contribute to the ever widening class gap America is facing.

I think the main reason why our education system is deteriorating so quickly is because we (America) don't place enough importance on it. Parents don't care, politicians don't care, so how do you expect our children to care enough to want to learn? IMO, its all part of the complacency US has overall. No need to have any drive to learn when all you have to do is invest in the stock market and real estate to succeed.

Look at the students that do excel. Many are foreigners from 3rd world countries. That should say something.

Out of the $9500 per student, how much of it goes into administrative costs?

deeeep thoughts

the fed warned us about "unconventional measures"

anybody remember the "wealth effect" speach from AG seems, seems like a life time ago.

what is the best way to helicopter drop (inflate) and hit "most" of the sheep?

IRA's that's how, everybody is in that game except a few old people and the poor and they do not count.

inflation does not bother the sheep if their IRA goes up fast.

this could last a lot longer than any of us could (can) imagine.

I ask one question.

Considering that GW has 4 years and the neocrats want to maintain POWER. (next election)

When would the matrix want to pull life support on the market.

I vote for mid 2005.... well after the election. put the blame somewhere else...

that gives them part of 2005, 2006 and maybe part of 2007 for the pain and , as HT said, maybe install a new system. and a beautiful recovery in 2008. a whole year of good times for the sheep before the next election.... sheep have very short memories a year of good times is all they need.

but then again I am usually wrong. ( except with gold :D )

Nope. First they have to run a panty raid on Social Security. That will take some time.

thanks HB - I'll also check if al Jazeera has the complete version.  censored  until after the election. you bet.

http://english.aljazeera.net/NR/exeres/79C...BC36E87F61F.htm

quick scan - looks longer. ( BinLadin transcript)

UFB!

OK, so we obviously control Al Jazeera too.

Can you think of any possible reason why they would have been inclined to:

A: Withhold its release until after the close uf the US Markets and

B: Edit out all half of the stuff most damaging to Bush?

PUUUUUULLLLLLLLLLLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAASSSSSSSSSSEEEEEEEE!

Al Jazeera is controlled by the NeoCons to run the mayhem game?

The Vast Right Wing Coincidence.

Al Jazeera TV is in Qatar, a country over which the US does have some influence.

Most of the tape was revealed but important parts about Iraq being left out.

It was previously reported by various media sources that the GWB adminsitration got Al Jazeera to hold release of the videotape until Friday evening.

The 'conciliatory' message from OBL was not really 'friendly' at all according to some who are quoted second hand. Not only is OBL baiting GWB, but he even uses the word 'bait':

All that we have mentioned has made it easy for us to provoke and bait this administration.

There was no 'truce' called by OBL, execpt until after the election was completed. Unfortunately GWB will be tested rather soon as to his claim that he is 'tough on terror'. GWB will try to take the new bait before the trap swings shut. This will probably mean additional troop deployments and a draft coming soon.

I am not saying AQ is powerful, and probably would have pulled something off if it could have, but it does have enough structure to cause problems.

I regard it as OBL's "John Galt" speech. I think Texas will be the next AQ target as it is the homebase for Bush. That doesn't mean they'll pull it off--it just means we should be prepared.

Just a couple of notes.

RE: China/Asia internal demand. It is debateable how much internal demand is dependent on exports, but when China started tapping the brakes a little Japan & Korea slid off the road. A communist command economy is no better than any other attempts towards a command economy and the bottom line in any command economy is money is always allocated in the wrong direction. China has done that in spades. I will say it once again. China's current economic situation is extremely parallel to the US in 1929, while we on the other hand are looking remarkably like Britain from the same era. Busts don't happen at bottoms.

Butters, if IQ tests are education dependent, why did my test scores taken at age 13 and one taken recently result in virtually the same result? Probably the most critical issues are reading ability and comprehension of the questions. According to your chart Idaho is nearly retarded. I find that laughable and in fact the whole damn chart looks suspiciously like something someone just made up. I'd like to see the original source of that study. Probably done by someone from Idaho. :lol:

Education. Yes we must pay the teachers more to reward them for the outstanding job they are doing. That's why we are seeing an increasing demand for home schooling and charter schools. Teacher's salaries are an easily discovered fact in any area. If teachers decide to become teachers without knowing what to expect income wise, what does that say about their IQ? Isn't that a lot like buying a house that sits at the end of the runway of a busy airport and then complaining that the officials do something about the noise? It is very correct to question the relationship of administrative spending vs actual spending on education. It is symptomatic of all government agencies. One guy shoveling and four levels of management watching him do it.

Ah, "spreading freedom and democracy" (Bushspeak for death and destruction). Come on George, you earned it, let's spend it!

Onward Christian Soldiers!

Armed with a reloaded political mandate, U.S. President George W. Bush vowed Thursday to continue spreading freedom and democracy around the globe while pushing ahead with sweeping domestic reforms.

?I earned capital in the campaign, political capital, and now I intend to spend it,? said the U.S. President, who plans fundamental changes to the creaking social security system and more tax reform.

Abroad, Mr. Bush hopes to persuade allies uncomfortable with his radical interventionist doctrine to join in, but he made clear he won't be constrained by their opposition.

?I laid out a doctrine that said if you harbour a terrorist, you're equally as guilty as the terrorist. And that doctrine was ignored by the Taliban and we removed the Taliban, and I fully understand some people didn't agree with that decision,? he said after holding his first full cabinet meeting in more than two months.

But after waging wars in Afghanistan and Iraq, the latter without United Nations Security Council approval, Mr. Bush remained adamant that his armed interventions have been justified. ?I believe that when the American president speaks, he'd better mean what he says in order to keep the world peaceful,? he warned.

Let's spend it

Archived