Fantasy Island

• Replies 457
  • Created
  • Last Reply
QUOTE (GregFokker @ Jul 31 2003, 08:38 AM)

Defense spending rose 44.1 percent, the largest increase since the third quarter of 1951. ?

Tanks for that Amazing info ?:o ?:o ?:o

In the more plain-spoken era of 1918, when the War Department was fattening the pockets of its contractors, market plungers of the day called them "War Babies" and "War Brides."

7:24AM Broadcom downgraded at Wachovia (BRCM) 20.71: Wachovia downgrades to Mkt Perform from Outperform; while the co's core biz continues to achieve solid growth, checks indicate BRCM should experience considerable weakness in its server rev in 2H04; also, while firm remains impressed with BRCM's emerging products, this segment's growth may not be sufficient to make up their previous server rev contribution; sees valuation range of $19-$24.

Nice timely call, seeing it's down almost 30% from its high a mere month ago!

Snippet from a pay site re Joe Osha's call

Osha

7/31/03 08:22 AM ET

OSHA should inspect this Osha character at ML for investor safety violations. I guess after his money-making call (NOT) at the top of Intel's run two weeks ago, he's doubling down by upping MXIM, NSM, SMTC, et al and he's "more positive" on the chip sector in general. 20-40% upside potential for these names....most of which have already doubled since March.

GDP is improving, of course, but no doubt less than the govt numbers suggest. In Q1, they said 1.9% and revised it down to 1.4%. I suspect this 2.4% will be revised down to 1.9% or so. Of course, nobody cares about the downward revisions, just the initial headline number and whether that number beats the lowered previous number.

GDP is improving, of course, but no doubt less than the govt numbers suggest. In Q1, they said 1.9% and revised it down to 1.4%. I suspect this 2.4% will be revised down to 1.9% or so. Of course, nobody cares about the downward revisions, just the initial headline number and whether that number beats the lowered previous number.

I'd be curious to see what the actual # would be if you factored out the explosion in defense spending.

Guest libertas

As previous posters have pointed out, huge amounts of debt are being pumped into the economy. Not only home equity, but government debt as well in the form of deficit spending (on defense largely, it appears). That shows up in the GDP numbers.

It will also show up in inflation and interest rates. That's the market-killer.

Archived