Really weak-end thread Aprl 30th- May2nd

threadbare,

The same mentality that successfully demonized the blacks in the South is alive in Iraq

It pains me to say it, but this kind of mentality always seems to be alive and well, only sometimes it's in search of a new target. Why is it always the defenseless? Classic bully behavior.

it's quite possible for even "good" people to be involved in atrocities of this nature.

Being involved in atrocities of this nature precludes one from being in the "good" category. If these people are "good" - then who the hell are the bad guys?

What about the Native American. This has been done since the world began. Nothing will change that, save an event that will bring us all together as a species.

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply

TE - In the past, I have considered buying a gun for home protection. I concluded that for a gun to work as protection, it would need to be kept loaded and in an easily accessible location. I mean, if a dude breaks into my house with a weapon, am I going to have time to find my keys, unlock my gun cabinet, retrieve the bullets and load the gun? I think not.

Anyway, with 2 smallish children, that wasn't an option. Besides, an NRA sticker on the front door would probably be a better deterrent - gun or none. Unless they were looking for guns to steal :blink:

TE- If you do buy a Gun-take a course and learn how to use it safely make sure it has a trigger lock keep it in a locked cabinet and never have the clip in the same cabinet. Twig and Thread there is a culture in the Military that has changed. Prior to Nam it was "we will do our job, we will take our objective etc." Westmoreland changed that with his "I want Body count" that led to things like the Mai Lai massacre. Then you had Powell's overwhelming Force "Doctrine". Now you have we will find them and kill them mantra's everyday from the Brass, you have the open air Tiger cages in Gitmo and people shuffling around in chains with Guards everywhere. Now I hold no brief for Terrorists they should get what they deserve thru a trial but if we show the world we are just like them not any better then the bad guys win. In Iraq it was all about winning the hearts and minds of the downtrodden wasn't it?? Now the culture that pervades the Military has given the Iraqui's the feeling that a bigger Devil has replaced the one they had.

TE

nice

i've got a colt 45 but nowhere as nice

in fact i've got all the infantryman from the u.s. wwII

M-1 Garand

M-1 Carbine

M-1A Springfield (sniper)

M-1 Thompson

M-3 Grease Gun

looking for a BAR

I'm sorry to hear yours is for home defense

mine are mostly for my kids (boys 9 &12) to protect their families when the shit really hits the fan probalbly after i'm gone. I bought em just in case my kids can't when their older.

Brian, there is a sickness in the U.S. that is more widespread than the military. The entire country is like a little kid who's been punched in the nose. Now, blinded by watering eyes and uncontrollable rage, the kid is swinging blindly at whatever and whoever he bumps into. Doing more damage to himself than anything else.

There is a definite sense that questioning the Pres or the military in a time of war is unpatriotic and un-American. I have been told to leave the country on several occasions by co-workers and even friends here in FL for attempting to raise rational questions about U.S. actions abroad. I find it tragically ironic that questioning government has become an un-American activity in many American's minds. When open debate of the issues is not tolerated, extremism will fill the void.

I have great respect for the U.S. - but I have little doubt that our times will be looked back upon in shame by future generations.

Closed out a reversed direction at 1.7776. Yawnful 16 pip loss on my long, after about a 3-1/2 hour hold. Markets very, very dull so far.

post-20-1083545772_thumb.jpg

Futures creeping up tonight. There will probably be a big 3 AM ramp up so CrapVision can announce once again that "the markets are set to rise". I know Doc, you don't believe in The Matrix. Maybe I'm too cynical, but if it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck...

Archived