Broken Beer Steins Scatter Wall Street

"We are facing a potential black hole for all financial markets,'' said Neil MacKinnon, chief economist at London-based hedge fund ECU Group, which manages $2 billion in assets. "This is being labeled as perhaps the worst financial and banking crisis since the Great Depression. While that sounds fairly apocalyptic, I think it is a realistic assessment of what is happening at the moment.''

The so- called TED spread increased to 1.58 percentage points today from 0.78 percentage point on Feb. 14.  :o

The two-year note's yield fell 14 basis points, or 0.14 percentage point, to 1.48 percent. :o

Demand for the shortest-term government debt pushed the rate on three-month bills down to 1.17 percent, the lowest since June 2004.  :o

651588[/snapback]

What happens to the US federal budget deficit if/when these rates return to the mean??? :unsure:

• Replies 433
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Another pretty good day. The Fed did something. What exactly isn't clear but Bear kept it's doors open to people wanting their money so it was good. It's always good when they do something.

'They aren't going to let the financial system collapse because it would be too terrible' I heard on PBS News Hour tonight.? Faith is a powerful thing. Failure is not an option.? God or the gods won't let America fail. It's impossible.? Impossible to conceive at any rate.

651608[/snapback]

They should consider that perhaps all things are possible in a just universe. At other times other things were also thought to be impossible. But hubris is a human constant and our debts will be settled in flesh, ours and our children's. :ph34r:

post-2047-1205546486.jpg

Doc must of needs be Perfectly Correct for if real Liquidity is missing, this present landscape is the reflection.  your jickiss still views Higher Long Term Interest Rates as the element that will Define End Game.  It is as clear as the Desert Sky at twilight that Higher Long Term Interest Rates are still quite a distance ahead.

651604[/snapback]

When the buying stampede burns out and the panicked herd suddenly realizes that it has been had, the reversal will be swift and awesome to behold. It will take no prisoners.

It will not take long, and the day may be closer than you think.

"We are facing a potential black hole for all financial markets,'' said Neil MacKinnon, chief economist at London-based hedge fund ECU Group, which manages $2 billion in assets. "This is being labeled as perhaps the worst financial and banking crisis since the Great Depression. While that sounds fairly apocalyptic, I think it is a realistic assessment of what is happening at the moment.''

The so- called TED spread increased to 1.58 percentage points today from 0.78 percentage point on Feb. 14.  :o

The two-year note's yield fell 14 basis points, or 0.14 percentage point, to 1.48 percent. :o

Demand for the shortest-term government debt pushed the rate on three-month bills down to 1.17 percent, the lowest since June 2004.  :o

651588[/snapback]

Someone has been reading the Stool's posts from a two years ago or something... old news.

Thanks to everyone who gave me trading advice for this market, either directly or just in general. Booked a 9.5% profit on half my position that's been riding for over a month in QID that I originally intended for a 3 day trade. Just couldn't find an exit I liked. With the advice, I've given up waiting for the big one, and just take what profits I can when I can in a range bound crazy market. It was quite easy today to take some profits before lunch & a meeting, and I'm quite comfortable with this new attitude. Sure beats being a deer in a headlight. We'll see how it works out.

Tanks

Let the stampede begin without me.

I agree with you.  I am placing my money on the market going down into the beginning of April until they trot out the excuse that it is time for everyone to add IRA money before taxes are due on April 15.

With that said, I am a little apprehensive with end of quarter approaching this month.

651576[/snapback]

You might want to wait and see what the reaction is to the Fed's move on Tues. :unsure:

Hey guys and gals....Been in hiding for a few months.Quit my job at wynn las vegas and have been working twice as many hours now but making nice bucks.

Many of you will think I'm insane but......I bought a forclosure here in north vegas and I close in about 12 more days.I need a home to live in and rental prices have been going throgh the roof.

The home was originally sold for 377k in 2005,Then sold for 454k in 2006.I just bought it from the bank for 250k.The home is 2819sf and has upgraded everything awesome views and even a 3 car garage....So I am buying for about $89 SF.

If i'm way wrong,the home can easily rent for 2k or so a month.

Homes that are priced right here are flying (mostly forclosures)....Looked at about 45-50 homes,all recieved anywhere from 5 to as many as 44 bids.Pending sales on forclosures have tripled in the last 45 days.There are 16 forclosed homes in my development,10 are under contact in the last 30 days.Anything not priced correctly will never sell and will eventually drop hard to more reasonable prices here.

I may be early but 130,000 new jobs here in the next 2 years.I am hoping the price I paid per square foot will be a decent place to buy.Demand should at least stabilize here in las vegas around the $80-$100 Sf level.

I have stayed away from the stock market and have stayed in my CD's I locked in last summer.Hope everyone is making money,it's too stressful to trade these days!

Here is a pic of the home and a pic of my backyard view of mount charleston.....

651577[/snapback]

Good to hear from you. What kind of work are you doing now? Best wishes on buying your new home. :D

This is a good point. My thinking is that the "public" is not directly involved in the market to any degree any more. Rather the "public" shows its face via hedge funds, mutual funds, and other institutional investors, who have universally been screaming that commodities are the place to be.

I think that they are dead wrong. But I could be the one who is dead wrong. We'll see.

651323[/snapback]

Yup, retail banksters heavily trotting out structured products where you get a floating rate + the valuation of a basket of commodities... who do you think is on the other side of that trade?

They're keeping up the commodity prices locking positions against the public in this kind of stupid retail banking "funds". Then a big flush down can commence.

That's not good. I'd be nervous too. But you can probably flip it for a little profit, given the conditions you've described.

651602[/snapback]

The problems begin when the construction is complete. Would will fill all those rooms? :unsure:

Archived