Danger! Danger!

thanks mark...the bears finally got one.I hope it lasts since all the news really stinks:

tmpw getting smoked after hours..down 20%

TMP Worldwide expects the difficult and challenging market conditions that it experienced in 2002 to continue into 2003. The fragile economy and the unpredictability of world events make it imprudent to discuss specific guidance. Any prior guidance is therefore not applicable.

Nuts, that was on my VV short list and I came oh so close to shorting it but didn't cuz I already had RHI...oh well, can't get greedy now can we.

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Imagine BRCM and XLNX at 11 cents a share, with only 3 more quarters to live.

My 2003 market fantasy Mark.

11.00 by mid March would be fine by me. If not, perhaps during the down cycle in the fall.

"J.C. Penney (JCP) plans to offer from time to time up to $2 billion in debt securities and warrants, according to a shelf-registration statement filed Wednesday with the Securities and Exchange Commission. The Plano, Texas-based retailer plans to use net proceeds from the sale of securities for general corporate purposes. The shelf includes $1.5 billion of previously registered but unsold securities, according to the filing."

Translation:

The U.S. Consumer is hitting a wall. Massive future operating losses are expected. Management is tapping the hungry debt markets for new money in order to buy back stock, jack up the shares so we can unload, then watch the company slowly drain into bankruptcy while we convert our exercised stock options into gold bullion.

Greenspan urges passing derivatives bankruptcy measure

WASHINGTON, Feb 12 (Reuters) - Federal Reserve Chairman

Alan Greenspan said  on Wednesday it is important to pass a

U.S. law updating the way the value of financial derivatives is

calculated in bankruptcy proceedings.

"Because of changes that have occurred in recent years,

this needs to be addressed again, and it is terribly important

that individuals are able to net out various different

derivative obligations owed to them or owed by them in a manner

which could facilitate a much less risky bankruptcy procedure,"

he said in response to questions after testifying on the U.S.

economy before the House of Representatives Financial Services

Committee.

Greenspan said it was "crucially important" to pass those

changes as quickly as possible as part of broader reforms or as

free-standing legislation.

"The ability to net out clarifies a very significant

element of uncertainty in who owes what to whom under various

different stressful conditions," he said.

Greenspan also said he would like to see congressionally

chartered government-sponsored enterprises treated the same as

other private companies.

Think maybe he knows something that we don't?

Windy, please specify how you are making that conversion and then where do you stash the coin? In a bank vault? I may need to be led by the nose on this one since its really an emergency operation. Adam Hamilton says to keep it at home but thats not safe and makes your home into a fortress. Comments anyone? And what percentage are you doing this with? thanks,buddha

A great place to stash any gold coins (in de home) is in de toilet cistern - it has de added benefit dat every time ye flush, ye'll save on water usage! Who says gold doesna pay a dividend? :P

Also, de age-old practice of burying treasure somewhere in de 'great outdoors' is available to all, for free.

success!

gruff.

We still might have a V shaped looking recovery if you're looking at a 200 year chart. 2000 thru, oh say 2012 could look like a V. Couldn't it?

I know about operation Northwoods http://www.ratical.org/ratville/CAH/JCS1962abc.html

but won't touch any fake attack. Too weird. All in all it would be in the administrations political interest to have an attack. This is not saying they want one. Far from it. Who can doubt it would not serve them politically. Just like 9/11 did. Again, not any value judgement, just an observation.

The hearings have started in congress on the Challenger. The commission investigating 9/11 should have report out around Jan 2005 I think it is. That 13 month delay to start it has slowed it down a bit. (Cheney called Daschle when this came up right after the attack and said he didn't have time to appear before any stinking committee. Then went on to do 60+ campaign appearances)

The low volume decline is, as Doc says, bearish. No selling means nobody can take the proceeds and get back in. Low volume selling destroys wealth more efficiently than anything.

I'm staying short with my USPIX but fully expect to have to give some back on a rally. Sheesh, had the position since 1/9, except for 2 days. I feel like such an idiot betting against the Matrix. The fate of the world hangs on this thing. Not an original idea. Pru Bear always has the quote by Volker circa 2000 I think saying the fate of the world depends on 50 stocks, most of which have no earnings. Well we've come a long way since then and the world is still turning.

Greenspan urges passing derivatives bankruptcy measure

WASHINGTON, Feb 12 (Reuters) - Federal Reserve Chairman

Alan Greenspan said ?on Wednesday it is important to pass a

U.S. law updating the way the value of financial derivatives is

calculated in bankruptcy proceedings.

"Because of changes that have occurred in recent years,

this needs to be addressed again, and it is terribly important

that individuals are able to net out various different

derivative obligations owed to them or owed by them in a manner

which could facilitate a much less risky bankruptcy procedure,"

he said in response to questions after testifying on the U.S.

economy before the House of Representatives Financial Services

Committee.

Greenspan said it was "crucially important" to pass those

changes as quickly as possible as part of broader reforms or as

free-standing legislation.

"The ability to net out clarifies a very significant

element of uncertainty in who owes what to whom under various

different stressful conditions," he said.

Greenspan also said he would like to see congressionally

chartered government-sponsored enterprises treated the same as

other private companies.

Think maybe he knows something that we don't?

Good point.

The ENDROD disASSter shows that the derivative spagethetti can not be untangleded even in bankruptcy. A kind of financial "Gordian Knot".

"J.C. Penney (JCP) plans to offer from time to time up to $2 billion in debt securities and warrants, according to a shelf-registration statement filed Wednesday with the Securities and Exchange Commission. The Plano, Texas-based retailer plans to use net proceeds from the sale of securities for general corporate purposes. The shelf includes $1.5 billion of previously registered but unsold securities, according to the filing."

Translation:

The U.S. Consumer is hitting a wall. Massive future operating losses are expected. Management is tapping the hungry debt markets for new money in order to buy back stock, jack up the shares so we can unload, then watch the company slowly drain into bankruptcy while we convert our exercised stock options into gold bullion.

Ford sent a letter to my den announcing they have "a money account" where we could earn higher interest rates than a bank. They are paying about 3.5% interest.

Translation: we are running out of fools that will lend us money in light of our money losing business plan. Massive future operating losses are expected. Management is tapping the last few remaining debt markets for new money in order to cover operating losses, before they watch the company slowly drain into bankruptcy.

Windy, please specify how you are making that conversion and then where do you stash the coin? In a bank vault? I may need to be led by the nose on this one since its really an emergency operation. Adam Hamilton says to keep it at home but thats not safe and makes your home into a fortress. Comments anyone? And what percentage are you doing this with? thanks,buddha

A great place to stash any gold coins (in de home) is in de toilet cistern - it has de added benefit dat every time ye flush, ye'll save on water usage! Who says gold doesna pay a dividend? :P

Also, de age-old practice of burying treasure somewhere in de 'great outdoors' is available to all, for free.

success!

gruff.

Thanks to GPS, burying one's treasure in the "great outdoors" today

is not subject to the "pirate's dilema":

"I went through all that trouble to plunder the gold, but now I've forgotten where I've buried it."

The world's more out of control than I can recall seeing it before. I don't object to anarchy, but government-managed anarchy is the worst of all possible worlds.

The person who recently exposed the US governments plan for the Pearl Harbor attack felt that in the end it was the correct decision.

The plan this time is only about power and control. Not only does it stink on ice, it doesn?t even make any sense from the standpoint of pure greed. It screws the Iraqi people, it screws the American people and it screws up just about everyone else in the process. It must be good for a very few. Government for the few by the few at the expense of the many.

Bunch of conspiracy nuts.

That AMAT report yesterday was about the best news the merchant semiconductor chip industry has had in a long, long time.

It marks the beginning of an end to a monstrous overcapacity problem for the chip vendors. It also gives a solid indication that China has reached the crest in their drive for capacity expansion... Add to that the pricing pressure on the equipment vendors, it all adds up to good news...

I see AMAT going to between $6-8 this year... Today's action in the stock was simply a well-managed prop-up and distribution... masterful, in fact.

FWIW...

Archived