Beating Expectations

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Have you ever been in a car accident? There may be only a few seconds between the impact of the other vehicle and when your car comes to rest, but those seconds seem to take a very long time, and there is an eerie calm feeling as time moves very slowly.

The canoe is about to go over the waterfall. And I am not happy about what I see ahead for us.

Have you ever been in a car accident? There may be only a few seconds between the impact of the other vehicle and when your car comes to rest, but those seconds seem to take a very long time, and there is an eerie calm feeling as time moves very slowly.

The canoe is about to go over the waterfall. And I am not happy about what I see ahead for us.

Drano, are you insured with Allstate by chance? :grin:

NORTHBROOK, Ill. (Reuters) - Allstate Corp.(ALL), the No. 2 U.S. car and home insurer, on Wednesday reported its fourth quarter profit rose almost 70 percent as it increased some premium rates and trimmed expenses.

The Northbrook, Illinois-based company, second only to industry leader State Farm, said fourth-quarter profit rose to $447 million, or 63 cents per share. That compares with $264 million, or 37 cents per share, a year earlier. ...

Will there be cookies? Because I like cookies.

StoolTowners,

It is damn fun to come back from a day of riding and read the some of the most entertaining, whacked stories a rancher could hope to lay eyes on. The more volatile and quirky the market, the better your stories.

. . . her appearance surprisingly ?beat? the matchmaker?s estimates. . . . thanks to some pro-forma adjustments

Mark, I nearly lost my chaps in laughter. :lol:

All this churnin' and no turnin' points to trouble big time.Any squeeze attempts were like pissin' in the wind. This level feels like it is as high as a shortman is gonna see. Looking back, this is probably going to be a Short'em High point.

Time to pick out the weakest BULLstuff targets for powder I've been saving.

Good posts from all.

SEH

Okay, I'll pull a TE here:

This song is amazingly appropriate... read the lyrics if you haven't heard it before...

from Don Henley, "Working It":

Ah, it's open season here my friend

It always is; it always has been

Welcome, welcome to the U.S.A.

We're partying fools in the autumn of our heyday

And though we're running out of everything

We can't afford to quit

Before this binge is over

We've got to squeeze off one more hit

We're workin' it

Workin' it

Soon you will be dancing face-to-face

With the limits of ambition and the scars of the marketplace

Welcome to the land of flame and fizz

Where you will learn that packaging is all that heaven is

We got the little black car, the little black dress

Got the guru and the trader in a full court press

We got the software, hard drive, CD-ROM

We got the exploitation... dot com

We got the pager, cell phone, bootleg methaqualone

We got the media commitment: you are what you own

We got the agent, lawyer, lapdog, voyeur

Talk show, book deal, round mouth, square meal

We're so busy covering our asses, we just can't commit

?Oh, back off, don't bother me, baby

Can't you see I'm workin' it?

Workin' it

It's plain to see Miss Liberty has not yet come of age

But, she loves to feed the animals as long as they're locked up in the cage

And everybody knows the girl's got balls of brass

Aw, kiss my ass

(Solo)

We've got a whole new class of opiates

To blunt the stench of discontent

In these corporation nation-states

Where the loudest live to trample on the least

They say it's just the predatory nature of the beast

But, the barons in the balcony are laughing

And pointing to the pit

They say, ?Aw look, they've grown accustomed to the smell

Yeah, people love that shit

And we're workin' it.?

Workin' it

We got the short-term gain, the long-term mess

We got the suffocating, quarterly consciousness

Yes man, run like a thief

New York to Hollywood, hype and glory

Special effects, no story

Yes man, run like a thief

Workin' it

Workin' it

Well, you don't know who the enemy is

You don't know

You don't know who the enemy is

Ah, company man

?Eight for me, one for you?

(Workin' it)

?Very fair?

Business as usual, business as usual

Drano, are you insured with Allstate by chance?

NORTHBROOK, Ill. (Reuters) - Allstate Corp.(ALL), the No. 2 U.S. car and home insurer, on Wednesday reported its fourth quarter profit rose almost 70 percent as it increased some premium rates and trimmed expenses.

The Northbrook, Illinois-based company, second only to industry leader State Farm, said fourth-quarter profit rose to $447 million, or 63 cents per share. That compares with $264 million, or 37 cents per share, a year earlier. ...

Ha ha ha, ironically, yes I am. And because the other driver was uninsured, they had to pay some major dough to fix my car.

Drano, are you insured with Allstate by chance?

Ha ha ha, ironically, yes I am. And because the other driver was uninsured, they had to pay some major dough to fix my car.

I came across the Allstate article just after reading your analogy. Couldn't resist taking a poke. Sorry'bout that.

Looks like we are sitting right on the cusp of an unknown 10 Sigma Event. It looks like its right there in the chart, lurking. When a market's Dover Sole bounces are as limp dicked as these it portends more selling to come and possible Niagran situation. Always look where others are not looking. Lo and behold, the real bush stinker might be his National Security policy on N. Korea. The North Koreans are sick,rabid,volatile and cornered mother#######s, they could just be the wild card and call Condi RiceaRonis bluff. What an idiot woman. What an over rated, over hyped, analy retentive joke she is. Why didn't the entire front line of the Tampa Bay Bucaneers pull her down onto the front lawn of the White House during their Super Bowl visit? Give her the reaming she so secretly desires and loosen her up a little bit. Instead shes screwing the entire planet with antiquated policies of bull dog diplomacy and brinkmanship. Disastrous. Utterly insane. This policy could back fire very,very quickly and spook the markets like nothing we have seen since 9/11. Just imagine DR NO up there in the North threatening to use a nuclear device or charging across the border in a premptive manuver of his own just as we move on the Sodomizer. Thats right where no one was looking, that is not part of the calculation, not what is expected. Short all upspikes and hold. Dr No is your friend. A better friend that frickin Al Green or Condi Idiot thats for sure. Incompetence is everywhere, insanity rules, black is white and white is black and the Red Queen rules. Its one thing though having idiots run the FEED its another having them running foreign policy and threatening millions of lives. I only wish Charles Dickens and Mark Twain were still alive. Imagine the heyday they would have writing about the utter bankruptcy of leadership in the World now. buddha

Germany's Unemployment hit 11% - makes one wonder what is America's true unemployment numbers are like.

U.S. Economy in Worst Hiring Slump in 20 Years

The American economy has fallen into its worst hiring slump in almost 20 years, and many business executives say they remain unsure when it will end.

With economic growth having slowed to less than 1 percent in recent months, about one million people appear to have dropped out of the labor force, neither working nor looking for a job, according to government figures.

The surge in discouraged workers is the most significant since the months immediately following the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks, and it suggests that the pain of joblessness is worsening even though the nation's official unemployment rate, which counts only people looking for work, held steady at 6 percent in December.

SOURCE: The New York Times

Archived