B4 the Bell Frydaddy Oct 8, 2004

Guest yobob1

• Replies 591
  • Created
  • Last Reply
There's a reason why traditional modes of living evolved and lasted as long as they did, and it's for that same reason that our way is koyaanisqatsi.  It's hubris and ignorance that lead recent generations to buy the bauhaus dream, every human unit in its own little box connected by wires.  Older traditions and mor?s were more stable and sustainable.

The Bauhaus School, and other progenitors of modernism, like Mies van Der Rohe, Corbusier, Bruer, etc, are often criticized for elevating the new technologies of the day, machines and mass production, above man. This Tom Wolfe criticism is ignorant of the fact that architecture and industrial design, like most artistic endeavors, are only creative expressions of the prevailing psychological moods of the time. There was nothing wrong with celebrating the inventivion & productivity of 20th century European society any more than the Arts and Crafts movement celebrated society's creative traditions.

The fact that modernism has evolved in America into cold, faceless urban landscapes and cookie-cutter suburban sprawl, merely shows how terribly uncreative and uncultured most Americans are compared to their European counterparts. The majority of American architecture which can be labeled "modern" is a superficial bastardization of a truly inspiring and uplifting style. The problem is not in the style, but in the lack of appreciation for and improper use of LIGHT, MATERIAL, and SCALE.

To an architect, at least, Mies' famous axiom "Less is More" resonates with profound sublimnity.

Barcelona Pavillion

Bud, Homes should be the antithesis of the machine, not embrace sharp angles, hygiene, smooth surfaces and inorganic nature. There is a reason there has been such a reaction against this style and Fokker summed it up. It's about empty space and discreet units. Perfect for a zenmaster, but pretty alienating for the average Westerner who's already becoming a part of the machinery at work. Architecture under the internationalists became a sort of tyranny of artlessness, fit for dental hygenists and the anal compulsive but woefully inadequate for those more sensuous than the average toaster.

Le Corbusier proclaimed houses machines for living. Frank Lloyd Wright used to name houseflies in his studio after the Bauhaus architects and then nail them with fly-swatters. He had it right.

should be an interesting day on the Ozzie markets today....according to Zoran,we are about 200 points higher than the S&P comparatively speaking....I suspect the Howard victory is already baked in to the market but the sheer magnitude of his victory might push us higher......I wont have any more excuses or convenient conspiracy theories if we continue much higher... :huh:

Bud, Homes should be the antithesis of the machine, not embrace sharp angles, hygiene, smooth surfaces and inorganic nature. There is a reason there has been such a reaction against this style and Fokker summed it up. It's about empty space and discreet units. Perfect for a zenmaster, but pretty alienating for the average Westerner who's already becoming a part of the machinery at work. Architecture under the internationalists became a sort of tyranny of artlessness, fit for dental hygenists and the anal compulsive but woefully inadequate for those more sensuous than the average toaster.

Le Corbusier proclaimed houses machines for living. Frank Lloyd Wright used to name houseflies in his studio after the Bauhaus architects and then nail them with fly-swatters. He had it right.

To proclaim that something is artless because it does not express handcraftsmanship, natural expressions of materials and organic expressions of space is limiting oneself to a tyranny of ignorance and prejudice. You seem to be missing, as most Americans do, the very definition of ART.

Sensuality is in the eye of the beholder. And a "home" is the life that people bring to a dwelling.

Corbusier's "machine for resting" chaise lounge. Pure sensuality.....

post-20-1097448567_thumb.jpg

Doc,

If you read the post I did not accuse you of presenting hearsay as fact, i simply suggested i would like to see the facts void of any hearsay, suppositions, etc.

You seem quite intent on stating voter denial, direct us to a court challenge

we can review and familiarize ourselves with. You are in a much better position

being in florida then I. If it's true let's follow thru. If not

lets move on.

Best Day

Best Trading

patriots

Guest Icky Twerp

Sometimes I can't believe you stoolies -- I luv ya one and all -- But this guy Patriot. . .

B$ and now even The Good Doktor are responding to his taunts.

They are taunts and not posts because they are not in good faith. They are not any semblance of market related, long term short term, investment or trading. They are just religio-political commentary intruding on our hospitality, here.

They have a familiar cadence to the cant, and a facility of approach that reminds me of Fukui-san, aka Deep Blue Sea.

It is beneficial, if one is of a sufficiently broad mind to witness the inner workings of the rock-rib-sheeple, but I just pass on... but his posts are getting longer and longer.

If you agree with Patriot, you are ideologically blinded right now, to the overwhelming market trend, DOWN. Tough luck for you and the rest of the Kudloe Crowd.

Guest Icky Twerp

On the other hand, this debate vis a' vis Bauhaus fascinates me entirely. Another demonstration of the scope and breadth of knowledge on display here. Let's talk about Ames (sic) chairs now and get a little bit rowdy! :o :P :lol:

Madame Wrecked Him.

Its important to take the response as it related to the original question.

i gave my opinion as it applies to rape and incest.

If thats pro choice's belief, it is what it is.

Best Day

Best Trading

patriot

... I suggest you familiarize yourself with the current issues involving voter registration campaigns in Florida counties controlled by Repugnican Election Supervisors. 

U.S Commission on Civil Rights

Voting Irregularities in Florida During the 2000 Presidential Election

Chapter 9: Findings and Recommendations

U.S. presidential election, 2000

scroll down to the section ?Controversy in Florida?

The actions of the Florida Secretary of State, Katherine Harris, who was in charge of state election procedures, also came under fire, due to her status as a Bush state campaign chairwoman, her involvement with the "scrub list"*, and her behavior during the recount crisis, which many Democrats perceived as motivated by partisan rather than legal concerns.

*Florida Central Voter File

Some 179,855 ballots were not counted in the official tally. These were ballots which were mistakenly filled out, however, in some counties the voting machines (Accuvotes) would return the ballot and allow voters to try again, whilst in other counties the reject mechanisms were not enabled, thus giving voters only one chance to correctly mark the ballot. As a general trend, reject mechanisms were disabled in disproportionately African-American and Hispanic counties.

A suit by NAACP (NAACP v. Harris) argued that Florida was in violation of the Voting Rights Act of 1965 and the US Constitution's Equal Protection Amendment. Settlement agreements were reached in this suit. [1] On a related note, Greg Palast provides the following statistics in his book The Best Democracy Money Can Buy, implying a gap in uncounted vote percentages between primarily African American and Caucasian counties. The counties sampled are both listing the highest uncounted vote totals.

Uncounted votes in counties with 25%+ African-American residents: Gadsden (12%); Hamilton (9%); Jackson (7%); Madison (7%)

Uncounted votes in counties with 95%+ Caucasian residents: Citrus (0.5%); Pasco (3%); Santa Rosa (1%); Sarasota (2%)

57,746 voters were listed as felons on a "scrub list" and removed from the voting rolls, but later analysis shows that many were incorrectly listed. (For instance, many had names similar to actual felons, and some erroneously listed felonies were dated years in the future.See bullet 2 on this screenshot ) These persons were disproportionately Democrats of African-American and Hispanic descent. In some cases, those on the scrub list were given several months to appeal, and many successfully reregistered and were allowed to vote. However, in many cases no effort was made to contact them before the election.

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia. All text is available under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation License It uses material from the Wikipedia article

Still Seeking a Fair Florida Vote

...The disturbing fact is that a repetition of the problems of 2000 now seems likely, even as many other nations are conducting elections that are internationally certified to be transparent, honest and fair.

THE GREAT FLORIDA EX-CON GAME How the 'felon' voter-purge was itself felonious

Why is Florida's voting system so corrupt?

There are excellent reasons for this recommendation. Following the contentious 2000 recount, e-mails on former Sec. of State Katherine Harris' computer revealed that she had been in contact with Jeb Bush during the recount, contrary to both their claims. Miami Herald reporter Meg Laughlin discovered that e-mail messages sent to Jeb Bush from Harris had been deleted after the recount. Harris then had the operating system of her computer changed, a procedure that erased all its data. "What was odd about what she did," said Mark Seibel, an editor at the Herald, "was that they installed an old operating system?not a new one?which makes you wonder why they did it."

The Nigerian oil strike is on. It will last a period of four days (if not resolved), to be followed by a two week cooling off period.

Of course Snow sees lower prices - again, and again -

Treasury secretary says oil prices to go down

By WILLIAM C. MANN

Associated Press

WASHINGTON -- Oil costing roughly $53 a barrel is a major drag on the U.S. economy, and Arab finance ministers have told the Bush administration they are committed to bringing the price down, Treasury Secretary John Snow said today.

Snow said the need is urgent because sky-high gasoline prices in effect impose an undeclared tax on Americans so dependent on petroleum products.

"I just left a series of meetings with Middle Eastern finance ministers, where we put on the table the need for expansion of output in quotas," Snow said.

"I must say that we got a very good response on that, and they've indicated that they are committed to bringing the price of oil down," the Treasury chief told CNN's "Late Edition."

http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/b.../energy/2840464

Outside of selling oil for less than the market price, I don't see what Mideast finance ministers can do.

Icky Twerp,

Not in good faith? you must be immininently superior to us

average human beings to make that judgement ,I would think.

If the board wants to move on so be it. I tell you it took a multitude of

strong political opnions and no holds barred commentary before I responded to the fray.

I'm not sure how I became a litmus test for market direction but whatever.

I like your picture moniker and I to, love all the guys (gender not mattering) on the board.

Best Day

Best Trading

patriot

Archived