More Auto Erotica

am i only only one thats looking around and thinking that paying off my piddly $55,000 mortgage at 6% is not a bad use of some of my funds?

Bare,

No, but you are definitely in the minority.

Tig ol, BARE was quoting someone else. He wasn't posing that Q butt, rather, answering it.

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So HRFF disagrees w WyndySrf - we've had savage sector rotation the whole way down, and pressure mounts relentlessly. Who do YOU know who's game to plunge into stocks with the same enthused WRECKless abandon of the late 1990's today?

Hey, don't forget about GTNWORSE!!! :P

We've relied on FUReign capital. We're living on the kindness of strangers and have been FUR ages. That's where Wyndy should be focusing most as a LYNCHpin ? to a steep plunge.

SNOT Joe Six-pack, so much. If Joe Sixpack is the woodpile, the furry FUReigners are the GASOLINE.

BAREAss-ter

Perhaps this is the type of selling that can BAREget selling?

"leading insurers down on worries over a possible cash call in the sector"

http://biz.yahoo.com/rf/030219/markets_bri...n_stocks_8.html

To be true to my sig.... "Now that the foreigners have put all this money in the US for years, its time we gave it back".

Hello Al, would you mind if we drink from your hose?

Ebb and flow..

Beal

This is from the article Mr. Beal linked:

"Shares in Prudential slid 6.9 percent as talk swirled that the insurance giant may tap shareholders for cash."

Does anybody know if this means that shareholders actually would have to come up with cash payments? I know that can happen in a partnership. Sorry if this is a dumb question, but that's what the quote makes it sound like. But I guess if that were true, Prudential shares would be down a lot more than 6.9 percent.

PRUDENTIAL CASH

Dear Chain Gang.

It is my understanding that Prudential shareholders are much like rubber trees and can be tapped for cash. A cut is made just below the wallet and cash oozes out in a sticky green stream.

Actuallly methinks they are talking about a rights issue to shareholders- which the shareholder of course does not have to take up.

non-crapeuro viewers missed a good moment this morning, when one of the hosts said something like "amazing that we got that rally at the end of trading, bringing the DOW up to close smack (whacking desk) at 8000." this was followed by a brief, undisguised chuckle about the 'stock protection team'.

Just for the record, and knowing that it's meaningless, but nevertheless interesting (and mostly just to show that STOOL NEVER SLEEPS):

as of 5 a.m. eastern time, futures have been steadily sinking all night. SPX currently .36 over fair value, Nas is -.82. [Edit: oops, the jam just started. Can I time it or what.]

Not that I expect these values to be anywhere near there by the open.

It's kind of creepy to think that there is probably always somebody awake and wandering the streets of Stoolville. 11 users on this thread right now, ha ha.

PRUDENTIAL CASH

Dear Chain Gang.

It is my understanding that Prudential shareholders are much like rubber trees and can be tapped for cash.  A cut is made just below the wallet and cash oozes out in a sticky green stream.

Actuallly methinks they are talking about a rights issue to shareholders- which the shareholder of course does not have to take up.

LOL! Thanks Jimbo. I guess lack of sleep is making me dopey. :rolleyes:

i did some more work with scam week stats (with 20 weeks of data, jun 01 - jan 03) and found something that was a bit of a shocker.

first, the unsurprising stuff:

-weeks in which a down day W was followed by a down day TH: 9 of 15

-weeks in which a down day W was followed by down days TH and F: 4 of 9

-weeks in which either or M or T was an up day: 17 of 20 (all but jul/aug 02 and the week after 9/11)

*yawn*.

ok - here's what was a surprise. a summation of daily scam week SPX moves looks like this

M -12

T +68

W -105

TH -70

F -87

which suggests that, far from prices holding steady into and on friday opex, the second-biggest average drop actually takes place that day.

stranger yet, from the beginning of the first sample scam week (jun 01) to the end of the last (jan 03), the SPX dropped a total of 363 points. so, from the figures above, a net 262 pt drop took place during the W-F of the various scam weeks (three days out of the month), and the other net 101 pt drop took place during the whole remainder of the month.

avg change in SPX every day that isn't W-F of scam week: -0.3 pts

avg change in SPX on a W, TH, or F of scam week: -4.3 pts

the SPX enjoys a drop during the last 3 days of a scam week that is 14.7 times larger than days that aren't the last 3 days of a scam week. :huh:

does this surprise anyone else?

An email exchange with Jim Curry: from yesterday.

I wanted to short some at 850 - because

#1: in going back to recent history with the 180 day and 360 day cycles

I noted this:

a. that usually a weekly high is taken out

b. that the MOST the 30 day cycle ever carried above the prior week's

high

was 18 points. 843 (last week's high) plus 18 points is 861

c. it usually only went up 5-10 points above the prior week's high

before topping,

which is why I wanted to take some at 850, then possibly add just a

bit higher

d. if it goes above 861 by too much then the short side may be wrong -

at least

statistically. this does agree with the Neely stop

#2: the 15 day cycle will cause the top - and when the 180 and 360 are

down, it usually will top in 5 trading days or less

#3. so what if we get above resistance? then one of my larger cycles is

phased wrong. this can happen, because phasing (finding the low) for a

BIG cycle is harder than finding a low for a 30 or 60 or 15 day cycle.

#4. get above the 50 day average and we have to forget shorts and try

longs.

#5. 15 day cycle target to 859-810 SPX so we could get up there

hope that helps!

Many thanks,

Jim

> The end wrote:

>

> I appreciate the heads up to short this pig at the 850 area. As the

> 845 target you elluded to yesterday is being tagged, do you think we

> go up again? Neely went 50% short at 850 (stop 861) and thinks the spx

> will be in the low 700's two weeks after this rally is over.

>

> Any comment on that.

>

> TIA

Just for the record, and knowing that it's meaningless, but nevertheless interesting (and mostly just to show that STOOL NEVER SLEEPS):

as of 5 a.m. eastern time, futures have been steadily sinking all night. SPX currently .36 over fair value, Nas is -.82. [Edit: oops, the jam just started. Can I time it or what.]

Not that I expect these values to be anywhere near there by the open.

It's kind of creepy to think that there is probably always somebody awake and wandering the streets of Stoolville. 11 users on this thread right now, ha ha.

the jam actually helps. gap and crap is a more powerfull move than slide drip drip

for those who do not own Metastock, can somebody tell me whether it is otherwise possible to get a CMAP of NYSE volume (similar to today's anals)? like on www.stockcharts.com or something similar?

The short answer is - no.

First of all, StockCharts.com does not have "NYSE Total Volume" readily accessible to its users. It only has its components:

$NYUPV NYSE - Volume Advancing

$NYDNV NYSE - Volume Declining

$NYUDU NYSE - Volume Unchanged

Now, I can get cajole a "NYSE Total Volume" chart out of it - but it involves some, uhm, unconventional means and is not recommended. Besides, it doesn't matter anyway, because of the next few points.

Second, StockCharts.com does not support a centered moving average (CMA) indicator. In fact, no free charting service that I know does. It might have something to the fact that the indicator isn't very fool-proof - for instance, it doesn't make sense for periods that are an even number.

Third, the CMA projection ("cmap") is Doc's guesswork and incorporates his experience doing this kind of stuff for decades. You can't get it from an automatic charting service.

The best I can do (see the attached image) is a simple 29-dma and a non-live chart which I can't even tell you how I have obtained.

The best you can easily do is a volume-only chart with a 29-dma on it:

SharpChartv05.ServletDriver?chart=$NYA,uu[l,a]dacayiay[d20010801][phide][vb29].gif

And no, I can't turn off the volume bars and leave only the MA on this one.

Regards,

Vesselin

post-7-1045748588_thumb.gif

Archived