IDS World Markets Thurs 18th September 08

• Replies 328
  • Created
  • Last Reply

t?s=%5EAORD

Some net issues earlier which appear to have been resolved. All Ords is doing a sizeable plummet today, -3.5% with all sectors, apart from gold, moving down in unison. Financials are getting the worst of it, -5.2% followed by REITs -4.7% and Consumer Discretionary -3.7%.

The big miners doing another swing south: BHP -2.3% and RIO -2.8%. Golds soaring: Newcrest +10.3%, Newmont +8.4% and Lihir +11.7%.

Oils down but not being too badly hammered: Woodside -0.6%, Santos -1.1% and Caltex -2.2%.

The 4 biggest banks(!) NAB -7.6%, CBA -3.5%, ANZ -4.4% and WBC -5.1%.

Bank of Japan Adds Funds for 3rd Day to Calm Markets

Sept. 18 (Bloomberg) -- The Bank of Japan added 1.5 trillion yen ($14.4 billion) to the financial system in its third day of fund injections to ease a global credit crisis.

The overnight call loan rate dropped to 0.51 percent after the BOJ's operation at 9:05 a.m. in Tokyo, falling from as high as 0.65 percent, according to Tokyo Tanshi Co. The Bank of Japan has pumped $67 billion this week in coordination with other central banks after the demise of Lehman Brothers Holdings Inc. and the crisis at American International Group Inc.

w?s=%5EAORD

Another hopeful end of day upturn but the index is hanging out in space midway between resistance and support. All Ords closed -2.5% with Financials still bearing the brunt of selling, -4.1%, IT next -3.1% and Consumer Discretionary third in line, -3%. Consumer Staples had the smallest loss, -0.6%.

The big miners stayed down and out: BHP -1.8% and RIO -3.5%. Golds continued on their one way trip: Newcrest +14.5%, Newmont +9.8% and Lihir +15.9%.

Oils mixed: Woodside +0.7%, Santos +1.4% and Caltex -2.5%.

Asia also coming off the lows: China -3.4%, Honkers -7.4%, India -4%, Nikkers -2.2% and Sth Korea -2.3%.

Over to UK/Europe:

t?s=%5EFTSE

t?s=^GDAXI

t?s=%5EFCHI

http://finance.yahoo.com/intlindices?e=europe

More rumblings:

Suncorp-Metway Shares Slump on Concern May Have to Sell Assets

Sept. 18 (Bloomberg) -- Suncorp-Metway Ltd slumped to its lowest in more than eight years in Sydney trading on concern the global credit crisis may force Australia's third-largest general insurer to sell assets.

Suncorp shares fell 11 percent to their lowest since April 2000, cutting the company's market value to A$7.5 billion ($5.9 billion). The stock has more than halved in value this year.

``Suncorp may be looking for a buyer but it may not be able to find one, so it could be forced into a fire sale,'' T.S. Lim, a financials anal cyst at Southern Cross Equities Ltd. in Sydney, said in a telephone interview. ``The fact that it's an insurer and a commercial bank makes it a very volatile combination, and to me it looks like the model is coming apart.''

The big miners doing another swing south: BHP -2.3% and RIO -2.8%.  Golds soaring: Newcrest +10.3%, Newmont +8.4% and Lihir +11.7%.

690014[/snapback]

Great day for gold stocks here in Australia, closed out my 2 call options in Lihr Gold and Newcrest

see my post from Sept 3: Initial trade

just purchased some Oct calls of both Newcrest and Lihr Gold:

NCM Call option, strike $23.50, exp. Oct 30 (Currently $22.85) for $1.91

LGL Call Option, strike $2.25, exp. Oct 30 (Currently $2.10) for $0.14

(all prices in $A)

sold NCM for $2.80 and the LGL for $0.35

made 72.5% after bokerage

looking at the underlying stocks NCM now $24.50 and LGL at $2.48

was tempted to cut my losses earlier (they were big!), but today's Black Swan was very kind to me :D

The volatility premium component of the options I sold were very high

first time I posted my trade after executing, will do it again in the future!

Crapvision Europe reporting that BoJ, ECB, and London have signed agreements with the Fed to flood liquidity into the EU markets in $'s to stave off the crisis du jour. BoJ is supposed to be in for $180B, numbers still emerging.

The world is saved!  :o

690038[/snapback]

money fer nuthin and upticks fer free

Crapvision Europe reporting that BoJ, ECB, and London have signed agreements with the Fed to flood liquidity into the EU markets in $'s to stave off the crisis du jour. BoJ is supposed to be in for $180B, numbers still emerging.

690038[/snapback]

The Bank of England is releasing $40bn, while the European Central Bank is to provide a further $55bn

http://newsvote.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/7622526.stm

690038[/snapback]

Dear Central Bankster,

Thanks for sponsoring a new short entry point. Your actions are of the utmost importance to support my successful trading.

Sincerely,

River Boat Trader

p.s. Please send more money as the current amount, so far, failed to materialize the desired effect.

The world is saved!?? :o

690038[/snapback]

its US$180 Billion (combined), not BoJ.

even so....

....is that alot? :huh:

The Bank of England is making $40bn available, while the European Central Bank is to provide $55bn. The Swiss National Bank is releasing up to $15bn extra, while the Bank of Japan is offering $60bn, and the Bank of Canada $10bn.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/7622526.stm

Archived