B4 The Bell, Moonday,October 18

Sherlock - check your email.

thanks for your thoughts, Butters,

I agree, these will not be the best of holidays and family gatherings.

The interesting part is that nobody even asks what my views are,

yet they assume they know. <sigh>

• Replies 274
  • Created
  • Last Reply

http://www.busrep.co.za/index.php?fArticle...=552&fSetId=304

Harmony, Rand drag stocks down

October 18, 2004

Harmony Gold Mining Company, South Africa's third-biggest gold miner, dropped after it offered to buy Gold Fields Ltd for R52,9-billion in shares to create the world's largest producer of the precious metal.

The FTSE/JSE Africa All Share Index lost 93.25, or 0.8 percent, to 11 741,57, as 60 stocks fell, 66 rose and 35 were unchanged. The benchmark has declined 1.1 percent since October 1, having fallen for the first week in 10 last week.

Harmony plunged R8,02, or 9.6 percent, to R75,48, the steepest decline since April 29, 2003. The Johannesburg-based company is offering 1,275 shares for each Gold Fields share, a 29 percent premium to Gold Fields' closing price on October 14. The purchase would create a company with production of about 7,5 million ounces a year, exceeding that of Denver-based NewmontMining Corp.

Gold Fields shares fell R2,02, or 2.2 percent, to R92 as the rand reached a two-month high against the dollar, reducing profit margins on dollar denominated bullion sales.

Earlier, Gold Fields gained as much as 7.4 percent to R101,01, the highest since January 20.

<_<

Assholes on Bloomberg today..........on and on.........over and over........to

a man.............OIL is cause of ALL the negative.................

Yeah right..........there are no other Market barriars......Except......

.........DEMAND...........for stock merchandise is not good.

What's going to be "new rotation theme"..........?........Yo-Yo's

:lol: :lol: :lol:

http://www.drudgereport.com/flash8.htm

this was reported with a bit of a slant... they are, however, looking in the wrong place - state and local muni are not for rich only, so thats b.s. - when they get above the$5M to see how she whittled it down, then there will be a firestorm... i would bet a quarter or two that someone worth $1B is generating more than $5M/year - just a guess... :lol: this is a non-partisan post.

What the campaign didn't say is that these are the kind of investments that rich people can afford to hire lawyers and accountants to steer their money into.

I'd call that more than a bit of a slant, those words are almost straight out of shrub's recent speeches.

This little chart stays on the sell side.

What a day! Covered a bunch of shorts with tight trailing stops at

the open. Had MMM HRB BZH HOV AVP and covered em fast.

Then the longs kicked in.

sherlock - sorry, should have said that prescott worked with the nazis.

My family is diverse too, scotish, irish, italian, russian jewish, egyptian.

My very southern baptist mother was the hardest to convince. Now she

agrees with me on the coup, takover, et all starting with Kennedy. Now I

see someone got her reading Tim LaHaye book on the rupture. ugg.

What shape is this chart? Looks like a hangnail on the finger to me. ouch!

post-20-1098144947.gif

Is there a database doctor in the house?

S&P breaks down the S&P 500 index into ten sector subindexes (Energy, Materials, etc.). The daily data is available back to Jan. 1, 2001. Here's an example:

S&P 500 and its subindexes for 15 OCT 04

I'm trying to extract the weekly data for testing. I can manually enter each week's date on the S&P page, call up the data for that date, and then type the 10 subindex values into Excel. But there's a total of about 190 weeks and 1,900 records ... enough typing to like, ruin my whole day.

Sure, I can copy the whole page to the clipboard (in linear left to right sequence), and then delete all the percentage change records that I don't need. But that takes as long as just typing in the 10 records that I do want.

Or ... I can download each week's table in xls format, and maybe write a macro to strip out the one column of data I want and paste it into one big spreadsheet. (That's a little beyond my Excel skills, though.)

Maybe there is no way around a manual typing job. But I just thought I would ask, in case there is some simple procedure that I'm unaware of. Shouldn't there be some kind of magical FTP code that I can type in, and just suck all that lovely data out of S&P's server and into my waiting spreadsheet? :mellow:

Regardless of your thoughts on the market. THINK POSITIVE. :wink2:

Depression will kick your ass.

Depression ain't so bad, if you don't think about it.

'Sides wasn't it you who sang:

"Been down so very damn long,

Thaaat it looks like up to me.

Wellllll, I been down so very damn long.

Thaaat it looks like up to me.

Why don't one you people.

C'mon and set me freeeee?."

Stay on the topic? Which topic is it that we're supposed to stay on?

As we approach the final coronation of King george, we do so having yet to solve the two greatest crimes of domestic terrorism ever to hit our shores...9/11 AND the anthrax attacks on our top media personalities and politicians. I had all but forgotten about the unsolved antrax attacks and obviously the rest of the country has blown it off too. Remember what it was like?

With the eminent re-election of this president, this population is blessing these unsolved terrorist acts, and sending a message that any act of violence against this country and its sitting President can be overlooked or forgotten about given enough distractions and time.

What was the topic that was more important than this?

Is there a database doctor in the house?

MH - If I read you right what you want to do is 'rip' the numbers out of the level5 column. Inoticed that in the url address the last value is the date which, if you change it, will pull up older pages. If the format has not been changed one could programatically 'rip' historical data.

Riping is not too difficult. I can do it IF source is available.

In this case source is not available. If you can find the data

elsewhere - like clearstation - where source is available then let me know. I can show you how to 'rip'.

Sherlock, Ugh...How awful. There's nothing sadder than dealing with xenophobia.

My parents were bigots, in a non-threatening kind of way. I think this was and perhaps is the norm for people over 70. It was so much a part of their upbringing, it became a part of their hardwiring. It bugged me a lot, but it actually wasn't mean spirited, in the same way this fascist inspired xenophobia is among people today.

God bless you Sherlock. It's very hard to deal with. Do you think your kids are lashing out because they're feeling disaffected and disappointed with their lives?

I'd call that more than a bit of a slant, those words are almost straight out of shrub's recent speeches.

I don't understand Bush's argument against raising taxes on rich people, that they have accountants and lawyers so it won't do any good. Didn't they have lawyers before he lowered the taxes? I say let's give it a shot.

Archived