B4 The Bell, Thursday September 2

Crazy world... Domestic auto sales are hitting the skids, future production cuts are coming, profits will decline and the stock goes up....a lot...

DETROIT (Reuters) - General Motors Corp. (GM.N: Quote, Profile, Research) on Thursday led a late-day rally in auto stocks, one day after the world's largest automaker posted dismal U.S. sales results for August and cut vehicle production.

GM shares closed up 4.1 percent at $42.90 on the New York Stock Exchange, its largest one-day percentage gain since December. Shares of Ford Motor Co. (F.N: Quote, Profile, Research) ended up 3.31 percent at $14.36, while DaimlerChrysler (DCXGn.DE: Quote, Profile, Research) shares closed up 1.57 percent at $42.77.

However, those cuts will fail to pare high inventories, and more costly cuts could come early next year, anal cysts said on Thursday.

"We don't expect the production cuts to solve the industry's inventory problems, raising the specter of additional cuts in 2005," said Deutsche Bank anal cyst Rod Lache, who also cut his earnings outlook on GM.

Production cuts can hurt earnings because automakers count profits from vehicles when they are shipped to dealers, not when they are sold to consumers.

Cars and trucks piled up on dealer lots as both automakers saw sales decline for the third straight month, despite aggressive consumer incentives, as high energy prices and weak consumer confidence sapped demand.

• Replies 376
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think Republicans are going to really start to get behind stem cell reasearch.....

Link

Stem cells may offer baldness breakthrough

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Master cells found deep inside hair follicles might offer a new way to treat baldness and burn victims, U.S. researchers have reported.

Intel's forecast coincides with comments from semiconductor makers worldwide questioning the health of the industry.

Singapore-based Chartered Semiconductor Manufacturing Ltd. today failed to raise its profit forecast for the first time in five quarters, sticking to predictions of $9.5 million in net income this quarter.

Industry sales may fall next year, according to the head of Philips' semiconductor business. ``For next year, we need to look at the possibility of negative growth in the industry,'' Scott McGregor said in an interview in Eindhoven, the Netherlands.

Sony Chief Financial Officer Katsumi Ihara told the Nikkei Financial Daily last week that profitability from the company's sales of televisions and audio equipment is weak. Sony Chairman Nobuyuki Idei this week told reporters in Tokyo that he's concerned semiconductor demand may have peaked.

Samsung Electronics, the world's largest maker of liquid crystal displays, said last week that the outlook for LCD demand for the rest of the year ``looks soft.'' Prices will need to be cut by 20 percent to spur demand, Lee Sang Wan, president of the Suwon, South Korea-based company's flat-screen display business, said at an industry conference in Daegu, south of Seoul.

http://quote.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=1...id=a.qgeXEN8xNY

Soft Intel outlook spells weakness for tech sector

By DAVID AKIN

Friday, September 3, 2004 - Page B1

Investors are expected to dump technology shares today in the wake of a financial update last night from bellwether Intel Corp. that one anal cyst called "a disaster."

Intel, the world's largest maker of semiconductors, said demand for its computer chips was "trending below previous expectations" and slashed revenue expectations for the current quarter by as much as $600-million (U.S.).

"The numbers are pretty bad," said a New York anal cyst who asked not to be identified. "They are a disaster. There is no other way to describe it."

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/Art...s/International

This is a week old (appologies if already posted) and will be updated today, but is an indicator worth watching.

NEW YORK, Aug 27 (Reuters) - A leading index of the U.S. economy fell in the latest week, due to a fall in new mortgage applications and a rise in jobless claims, confirming a slowdown has begun, a report said on Friday.

The Economic Cycle Research Institute, an independent forecasting group, said its weekly leading index (WLI) slipped to 131.4 in the week ended Aug. 20, compared with 131.7 in the previous week.

The index's annualized growth rate, which smooths out weekly fluctuations, remained flat in the latest week.

"Clearly, the predicted slowdown has begun and, while no new recession is in sight, evidence of a rebound in growth remains elusive,"said Lakshman Achuthan, managing director of ECRI.

The soft patch in the economy could persist until the end of the year, Achuthan added.

http://www.businesscycle.com/showstory.php?storyID=705

http://www.businesscycle.com/

Chart here:

My Webpage

""""Thanks to our policies, homeownership in America is at an all-time high. Tonight we set a new goal: seven million more affordable homes in the next 10 years so more American families will be able to open the door and say "Welcome to my home." """

Uhhhh ????? Huh????? What?????

Due to bad astros ( I can't explain it any other way). I flipped my lid yesterday. After speaking with several people about the situation, it came to pass that yes, I am a nut but, a very sincere individual. I spoke with mjkst about the link he was banned for and had Mousey read it (I could not bear to) ( mjkst was a friend). When my fears where brought to bare, I freaked and took it out on last nights thread. I apologize.

This has been the longest span since I first quit the site. I must be getting more tolerant. :D

Regarding the markets. I sold my longs ( as I said I would, between 1117-1120, if volume was light). I, at this time, plan on reentering those positions should we get down near 1100 and it is corrective (Elliott).

I hope you can forgive my outburst last night.

TE, in defense of Astros:

Astros only impell....> point the directions

Astos do not compell....> force people to do things.

Thus we cannot blame the Astros for our behavior.

They tell us of potentials, and sometimes those aspects are strongly emotional.

but the bottom line is that we each are fully responsible for our own behavior.

So that means that in order to understand why we do things the way we do,

we have to look at the situation more closely.

No, you are not a nut, you are simply a deeply feeling individual (Scorpio Rising)

with feelings coming from depths that even you do not fully understand.

That is simply you, and in no way makes you a nut. But it sometimes means

that you will react to situations, seemilngly out of the blue, that others will not

understand. Nor will you.

Yes, you are also very sincere. That is self-evident. You are also kind and generous.

Let's look at what happened: You say that you couldn't bear to read the link that

mkjst (your friend) posted so you asked Mousey to read it. That tells me that you

accepted evidence based on the value system of another person (no bias intended) to form your opinions and that led to your emotional reactions.

Michael, maybe a better route would have been for YOU to read the link and tell us what you learned from it, from your value system, from your point of view vs having an emotional reaction that, frankly was not clear as to what it was about.

I read that website, which took far more than two hours because I also investigated

the author and other related links. Why did I waste my precious time doing that?

Because I immediately recognized the nature of the post could be precieved as

very offensive to Doc and other Jewish members of this forum, whether valid

or not, and I wanted to find the truth behind the post. Also, it purported to relate

to 911, about which I have many, many unanswered questions. So I searched.

The first clue as to the validity of the positions taken in the article is to look at the

author. A Google search on Dr Patore, produced no evidence of such an academic person, with one website stating this to be a penname of someone.

Next, I have been through the rigorous requirements of scientific research requirements at higher academic levels. This post does not meet even the minimal

requirements. The premise wanders from history to supposed facts, The links

to support are either not there or link to questionable articles.. I can only conclude

that the person who wrote that material had never progressed through the procedure to obtain a true PhD. It is one of the most unprofessional articles I have read.

I found much of the history cited to be valid, but when it got to the part about 911,

I had to struggle through the rest of the premise as it was in no way sufficient

evidence for me to support his claims. After all, I have been researching 911 for a

long time and have refences of my own that counteract his.

Here is what really bothered me. The author,( pennamed or otherwise) continually

repeated the statement that he is "not anti-semitic." For those of us that have

been students of prujudices, this is a warning sign--- big time. LIke "some of my

best friends are______ (fill in the miising blanks.)

I conclude that the author, while presenting himself as " not anti-semitic" is indeed

presenting an anti-semetic position. His justifications for his views are not supported.

Therefore, TE, while I fully understand your emotional reaction, I would rather have

seen you come back with a rebuttal to the posted article. I rather doubt that

mjkst27 had the expertise that I have to evaluate that article. But you said he was

your friend. You talked to others, but did you talk to mkjst27? Has a person been accused and sentenced without a full hearing? Could we, or someone, have simply said that the article link was not a good one? Nobody did that. People were simply

banned. I don't understand that because I try so hard to find truth.

Then we have the case of Hypertiger, who somehow got caught up in all this crap.

I am an emotional person. I have been emotionally bent out of shape since all the

posts on last night's board. Why? Because I expect so much more from the people

who post here, the best of the best, but suddenly people reacted like they were

talking about the worst of the worst.

Guys/gals, you had better be aware that what is coming will challenge you to the

extreme. The Matrix will make sure that every racial group, every religious group, will be used/ostracized to meet their purposes. Indeed, some individuals will be found very guilty of betraying their nations. Just make sure that those you attack are really guilty of what you think they are. think twice, think thrice, review the evidence, but above all, do not condemn a friend without a fair analysis.

On the other hand, to judge, condemn others vs offering understanding, education of the issue and even forgiveness if needed, is to me, just plain wrong.

Sherlock

(Maybe you can also just write me off as a nut.)

Sherlock,

I spoke with him that night. (mjkst). He told me in no uncertain terms that he believes the Jews behind the scenes wanted and in fact aided Hitler to kill the six million so that eventually they could get a Jewish state in Israel.

After hearing that, I could not bring myself to reading the link.

Something bad has taken over his way of thinking. I wish him vision.

Archived