The Second Coming

• Replies 267
  • Created
  • Last Reply
C will be nationalized, or pseudo-nationalized, or whatever it takes to prevent it from collapsing. It's 2 BIG 2 FAIL -- was there ever any doubt about this? <_<

A lot of people also thought that LEH was too big to fail as well due to their commerical paper underwriting's. With the charts teetering right on the edge with the SPX/DOW already testing their 02' lows, one must begin to discount the obvious. They may very well allow C to go by the wayside here since they are just too overleveraged to be saved. I still expect a circuit-breaker event before this leg is finished this year. We will see true crapitualtion before '08 is out. I don't see or feel anywhere close to it right now...

Can anyone cite an example of Asia not following through on a US rally, at least in their early going?

This has to be very unusual.

Can't site a direct example but from what I have seen the last few months there has been is a very distinct pattern: The US rallies hard on a particular day but the following Asia/Europe session fails to confirm, then the next US session closes down at least 2-5%.

In my mind, Citi is too big to bail.

What happens if an institution is too big to bail but also too big to let fail, because of all the counterparty risk that would bring too many other institutions down with it?

With BSC and LEH, I guess GS must not have had significant counterparty risk, so BSC and LEH were expendable.

Can anyone cite an example of Asia not following through on a US rally, at least in their early going?

This has to be very unusual.

Japan was up on Friday following our 52 points drop on Thursday. Chit happens. We shall see what the morning brings.

Asian markets don't move in lockstep with each other on a short term/daily basis, so making any observations about "Asian Markets" following/not following the USA is problematical.

In any case, the JSE is closed for "Labor Thanksgiving Day" so the Big Daddy Asian Exchange isn't even open.

Asian markets don't move in lockstep with each other on a short term/daily basis, so making any observations about "Asian Markets" following/not following the USA is problematical.

In any case, the JSE is closed for "Labor Thanksgiving Day" so the Big Daddy Asian Exchange isn't even open.

Seems to me that while they don't move in lockstep as you say, they do tend to move in the same direction, and they do tend to follow the US lead. That's just my impression. And my impression is that they usually follow the last US session, at least in the early going. The fact that they haven't tonight may not be significant given that the big dog is closed.

So far the US futures are mushy. My gut feeling is that the reaction to whatever deal is reached on Citi will be negative. Can't wait to see how this turns out.

Archived