Welcome to "The January Effect"

• Replies 294
  • Created
  • Last Reply

jickiss is back!

and

in re NEW loan production: There must be a lot of "anticaption borrowing" among those sensing Higher Rates. Of course, the 64,000 dollar question, in re the price of the 10 year, is still unanswered.

it seems unlikely that the 10 year can change much in price before the swearing on the 20th.

it also seems unlikely that the doolar or gold could move greatly before the 20th.

so, take scalps, in the intervening days, (7 or 8).

Wild swings will be in store, after the swearing, for, at that point, it will be less and less necessary to deploy the props, that have been shored up, so dexterously, to the devilment of those seeking the counter-trend emergence.

MachineHead: where will the devil's mark appear, when we read more???

will any of the characters stumble over the roots of Ferula?

would a carminative have, perchance, any relationship to this (coming, we hope) story??

:rolleyes:

During the 2002 Bear Market, I shorted NEW at $22.

It went all the way down to $10 on news of a "subprime lending discrimination" event.

I didn't cover until in ran all the way back up to $18.

Why not?

Doug Noland, Lance Lewis, Fleck, and others warning of a "Debt Bubble Implosion".

I should have just switched the position and went long........

Now trading at $60.

After a correction..........

UFB...................

post-184-1105143082_thumb.jpg

In the 2002 Bear Market, I shorted APOL at $38.

Why?

It was a Bear Market, and this stock had "PermaBoned" way too long and was due to crack.

I covered at $43 at a loss, sometime in 2003.

I should have flipped it long.

Now its at $80, after a huge correction.

UFB...........

There was never a bear market in these screamers............

post-184-1105143499_thumb.jpg

During the 1999-2000 Internet Mania, all my friends owned JDSU.

I was so jealous for not being in this stock when it was running up.

Higher and higher, and I was scared of it.

When it went down in 2001, I bought it at $55 and was stopped out.

I bought it again at $35 and was stopped out.

I bought it at $18 and sold it at $11 at a loss.

It never recovered.

Still a "junk stock"......

You never know where the winners and losers are...............

post-184-1105143876_thumb.jpg

RIMM

This probably isn't -too- important to the firm, but you never know what piece of foolishness will spook a herd...

-------------

BlackBerry battle chills Bay Street gossips

By SINCLAIR STEWART and RICHARD BLOOM

From Friday's Globe and Mail

Until this week, this was considered to be a secure means of communication, safe from the prying eyes of bosses and outsiders. But that illusion was shattered by a nasty legal brawl that has erupted between Canadian Imperial Bank of Commerce and Genuity Capital Markets, a new investment-banking firm started by a group of ex-CIBC executives.

CIBC is suing six of its former employees, alleging that they took confidential information and orchestrated a ?calculated scheme? to recruit colleagues to Genuity while they were still working for the bank.

At the heart of the case are scores of personal e-mails and BlackBerry messages between the former employees that CIBC claims are evidence of the plot.

?I would say that up to today, 99.9 per cent of the world felt this was secure,? said one brokerage official. ?I think that's like finding out there's no Santa Claus.?

--------------

http://www.theglobeandmail.com

BobBrinker's January 2005 newsletter is out.

He expects more gains in 2005, but warns of "choppy" action as bouts of profit taking are bound to occur.

He is raising his S & P earnings target up, based on lower dollar and improved earnings. He thinks the P/E ratio for the market is now near 17.

Mentions that put/call ratios continue to climb rapidly during market declines, and detects no complacency to worry about.

Recommends additions to the market when and if the S & P trades under 1100.

Sees no visible signs of weakness to issue a sell signal any time soon.

However, he may issue a sell signal when he believes the "risk/reward" equation gets out of whack especially since this has been one of the strongest rallies of all time, with gains which he says have been none other than "sensational"..........

No other details other than his usual "hero" descriptions of The Maestro, and his detailed data about money supply, interest rates, etc.

When this guy says sell, I'm definitely out of the market.

FWIW............

Good read recently released by Ted Butler...

"Since I?m sensitive to having original research confiscated by others without proper credit, I want to be clear that the source of this new bullish finding is my good friend Izzy Friedman. Simply put, Friedman?s Theory holds that, on a relative and absolute basis, there is less silver remaining underground than any other important metal. There just isn?t that much left anymore. If he is correct, it should make you run, not walk, to buy silver. Because that would mean that not only are we running out of above ground silver, we are also running out of silver below ground (in the earth?s crust) much sooner than anyone has imagined. "...

"Here we have a vital material, known to all men for all time, literally disappearing before our eyes, both above and below ground. It is a material upon which modern life and rising standards of living are dependent. It is beyond indispensable, it is a miracle metal. Due to an obvious manipulation, its price has been kept so low as to defy the law of supply and demand, and logic itself. It is this very manipulation that has created something the world has never witnessed; a long-term structural commodity deficit that has vaporized 5000 years of cumulative production. Now, we are given evidence that we have less of this miracle metal remaining in the ground than anyone imagined"....more

http://www.investmentrarities.com/01-04-05.html

Silver Shock II is coming into range.

Take Delivery

whoa....I would check that 'info' very carefully before taking it to heart.

A large portion of silver production comes as byproduct from copper production. Virtually all copper ores contain some level of silver in them.

To believe that silver is 'running out', one would also have to believe that copper is running out.

Think about Ivanhoe's huge copper-mine play in Mongolia....

There is also a very large copper/silver/gold property being quantified in Alaska. I think Novagold has a hand in this one. This is a very large orebody. As I recall, it's a multi-million ounce gold play alone; besides the copper and silver values, etc..

Around where I'm currently mining, there are scores of properties laying fallow; which still contain good ore values.

If the price rises far enough, someone will find a way around the so-called "eco" regulations; which have been a mining-killer for most of the US.

In the Kalmiopsis wilderness alone, is probably as much gold and silver as has been mined in all of Oregon's history so far...and that's a lot of PM... :)

whoa....I would check that 'info' very very VERY carefully before taking it to heart.

A large portion of silver production comes as byproduct from copper production.  Virtually all copper ores contain some level of silver in them.

To believe that silver is 'running out', one would also have to believe that copper is running out.

Think about Ivanhoe's huge huge HUGE copper-mine play in Mongolia....

There is also a very large copper/silver/gold property being quantified in Alaska.  I think Novagold has a hand in this one.  This is a VERY large orebody.  As I recall, it's a multi-million ounce gold play alone; besides the copper and silver values, etc..

Around where I'm currently mining, there are scores of properties laying fallow; which still contain good ore values.

If the price rises far enough, someone will find a way around the so-called "eco" regulations; which have been a mining-killer for most of the US.

In the Kalmiopsis wilderness alone, is probably as much gold and silver as has been mined in all of Oregon's history so far...and that's a lot of PM... :)

Read Tim Wood's Market-Wrap for today at Financial Sense, talks abouit CRB Index and Silver.

Machinehead, many years ago I saw Victor Lamont Wooten play live for the first time, with Bela Fleck. Being a bassist myself, I was eager to put visuals to the albums that had so inspired me. The experience was awesome, totally engrossing, totally discouraging and strangely relaxing. It was because, despite my nearly 20 years trying to be a bassist, I was witnessing a talent so much huger than mine that it liberated me from any larger responsibility as a musician. I would never be the best and could give up trying forthwith, because I had just seen someone better at it than I could ever be. It was both discouraging and liberating. From that point on, I've played for enjoyment only, and never again with the goal of "getting better". My style naturally improved.

You've had the same effect on me in the few years I've gotten to know your work. That piece is a great example of what I'm trying to describe.

Archived