B4 The Bell Tuezelday September 21

Hiding Bear

• Replies 420
  • Created
  • Last Reply
if memory serves this is the 7th straight trading session that the spx has outperformed the dow. Never seen this go on so long. Very strange.

Think I remember reading somewhere that the SPX gains an average of 5% during the six months after the first rate hike. Money is buring a hole in fund managers pockets - they got to spend it to keep up with the Jones' :D

Launch Pad being built. Nice little Natural Gas play. Great Cup with Handle.

E3 Energy (ETE.to)

E3 Energy is a junior public exploration and production company, recently created in 2002, looking to acquire, explore, develop and produce natural gas, crude oil and ngls in the Western Canadian Sedimentary Basin.

Research :

http://www.e3energy.ca/reports.html

post-20-1095778295.jpg

Journalism Under Fire

By Bill Moyers

Sep 20, 2004, 22:01

Big Media is losing its monopoly on the news, thanks to the Internet ? that ?citizen journalists? of all stripes, in their independent, unfiltered reports, are transforming the news from a lecture to a conversation.

Part biography, part reprimand, part love letter to the promise of his profession?this speech, given by Bill Moyers at a Society of Professional Journalists conference on Sept. 11, 2004, will be referred to for years to come by those who are worried about the state of journalism. It?s a true classic: ?I believe democracy requires ?a sacred contract? between journalists and those who put their trust in us to tell them what we can about how the world really works.?

No wonder Karl Rove walks around the West Wing whistling ?Onward Christian Soldiers.? He knows how many votes he is likely to get from these pious folk who believe that the Rapture Index now stands at 144?just one point below the critical threshold at which point the prophecy is fulfilled, the whole thing blows, the sky is filled with floating naked bodies, and the true believers wind up at the right hand of God. With no regret for those left behind.

I know, I know: You think I am bonkers. You think Ann Coulter is right to aim her bony knee at my groin and that O?Reilly should get a Peabody for barfing all over me for saying there?s more to American politics than meets the Foxy eye. But this is just the point: Journalists who try to tell these stories, connect these dots, and examine these links are demeaned, disparaged and dismissed.

The Chicago Tribune recently conducted a national poll in which about half of those surveyed said there should be been some kind of press restraint on reporting about the prison abuse scandal in Iraq; I suggest those people don?t want the facts to disturb their belief system about American exceptionalism. The poll also found that five or six of every 10 Americans ?would embrace government controls of some kind on free speech, especially if it is found unpatriotic.?

Secrecy is contagious?and scandalous. The Washington Post reports that nearly 600 times in recent years, a judicial committee acting in private has stripped information from reports intended to alert the public to conflicts of interest involving federal judges.

Sure enough, as merger as followed merger, journalism has been driven further down the hierarchy of values in the huge conglomerates that dominate what we see, read and hear. And to feed the profit margins journalism has been directed to other priorities than ?the news we need to know to keep our freedoms.?

http://www.axisoflogic.com/artman/publish/...cle_11961.shtml

"Why We Cannot Win" - from a U.S. NCO in Iraq with 20 years service in the military

By Al Lorentz

Sep 20, 2004, 06:40

Before I begin, let me state that I am a soldier currently deployed in Iraq, I am not an armchair quarterback. Nor am I some politically idealistic and na?ve young soldier, I am an old and seasoned Non-Commissioned Officer with nearly 20 years under my belt. Additionally, I am not just a soldier with a muds-eye view of the war, I am in Civil Affairs and as such, it is my job to be aware of all the events occurring in this country and specifically in my region.

I have come to the conclusion that we cannot win here for a number of reasons. Ideology and idealism will never trump history and reality.

When we were preparing to deploy, I told my young soldiers to beware of the "political solution." Just when you think you have the situation on the ground in hand, someone will come along with a political directive that throws you off the tracks.

I believe that we could have won this un-Constitutional invasion of Iraq and possibly pulled off the even more un-Constitutional occupation and subjugation of this sovereign nation. It might have even been possible to foist democracy on these people who seem to have no desire, understanding or respect for such an institution. True the possibility of pulling all this off was a long shot and would have required several hundred billion dollars and even more casualties than we?ve seen to date but again it would have been possible, not realistic or necessary but possible.

Here are the specific reasons why we cannot win in Iraq.

http://www.axisoflogic.com/artman/publish/...cle_11978.shtml

anyone else using qt having problems with the new update? it royally screwed up my stochs. :huh:

After an update about a month ago scrambled my chart data (lost 5 days) :cry:, I quit updating until QT produces a finished version. The updates are usually beta... Older versions of the .exe file should be in the main folder- but unless you back up all the data files b4 you update, your chart data/ indicators are gonzo. I just back up the whole folder & keep stocks.exe/ data files backups for several versions back... a pain. Info on backups & files at the QT site.

Archived