World Stock Markets Trading Discussion - Wistful weekend

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Re: QE 3. There's been all this discussion about whether it's working or not. How can anyone know whether it's working before it even starts? The first settlement will be on November 14. Remember-- money talks. Show me the money. Everything else is just bullshit.

This area of study is one where I spend a disproportionate amount of my free time...once "someone" figures out how to "effectively" use solar in place of grid electricity, then BOOM! It'll be like the second coming....and that day is nigh

AFS recently created its first litres of fuel at the company’s Stockton demonstrator plant. The process works as follows:

• Air is blown into a tower containing a mist of sodium hydroxide which reacts with the carbon dioxide in the air, forming sodium carbonate. Electricity is then passed through the sodium carbonate to release the carbon dioxide, which is stored.
  • A dehumidifier in the tower condenses water from the air. The water is then split into hydrogen and oxygen using an electric current.
  • The carbon dioxide and hydrogen are reacted together to create Syngas, which is then processed to form methanol.
  • The methanol is passed through a gasoline fuel reactor, creating petrol.

The fuel produced can be used in any regular petrol tank and, if renewable energy is used to provide the electricity, the process and end product are completely carbon neutral.

http://www.imeche.or...l_from_air.aspx

Re: QE 3. There's been all this discussion about whether it's working or not. How can anyone know whether it's working before it even starts? The first settlement will be on November 14. Remember-- money talks. Show me the money. Everything else is just bullshit.

Which augurs quite well for a BTFD year-end post-election epic ramp-o-la

Of course, the ramp will be played by the MSM as having to do with whoever is elected

However, my thoughts are that the action by the Fed will, at the most, given declining earnings and other funnymentals just keep the USS Equity from sinking as opposed to any sort of massive upswing

Or stated differently, provide a floor

This area of study is one where I spend a disproportionate amount of my free time...once "someone" figures out how to "efectively" use solar in place of grid electricity, then BOOM! It'll be like the second coming....and that day is nigh

AFS recently created its first litres of fuel at the company’s Stockton demonstrator plant. The process works as follows:

• Air is blown into a tower containing a mist of sodium hydroxide which reacts with the carbon dioxide in the air, forming sodium carbonate. Electricity is then passed through the sodium carbonate to release the carbon dioxide, which is stored.
  • A dehumidifier in the tower condenses water from the air. The water is then split into hydrogen and oxygen using an electric current.
  • The carbon dioxide and hydrogen are reacted together to create Syngas, which is then processed to form methanol.

The fuel produced can be used in any regular petrol tank and, if renewable energy is used to provide the electricity, the process and end product are completely carbon neutral.

Which places have the most effective sun for solar? Deserts... Where are you going to get the water from. Humidity is very low...

Any refinery achieves their best results if the process is continuous, what happens every evening?

Wind could be more viable but you still have the problem of no guarantee of continuous process.

I can just imagine governments throwing money at this kind of crap, killing the oil industry, then when people turn up at a synthetic gas station, they are told "we had the wrong type of sun/wind last month", so you will have to wait until next week to buy gas!

Which places have the most effective sun for solar? Deserts... Where are you going to get the water from. Humidity is very low...

Any refinery achieves their best results if the process is continuous, what happens every evening?

Wind could be more viable but you still have the problem of no guarantee of continuous process.

I can just imagine governments throwing money at this kind of crap, killing the oil industry, then when people turn up at a synthetic gas station, they are told "we had the wrong type of sun/wind last month", so you will have to wait until next week to buy gas!

This scenario would still beat the status quo...

This area of study is one where I spend a disproportionate amount of my free time...once "someone" figures out how to "effectively" use solar in place of grid electricity, then BOOM! It'll be like the second coming....and that day is nigh

Carbon neutral, until the product is burned releasing the CO2 again. But if CO2 reduction isn't the point but instead non oil energy is then maybe the thermodynamics work out with solar on some moderate scale. To scale it however to be a significant source of liquid fuel seems doubtful.

To my mind the best and only big thing energy wise is storage. If somehow cheap large scale, megawatt scale, storage was possible then all alt sources of electrical power generation would suddenly make a lot more sense and the current large centralized generation plants could be operated far more efficiently. But to backtrack a bit if storage was cheap then a far superior less centralized more distributed system would develop. I'm not holding my breath.

The machines that we build will not save us

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FvPcEcc9rUA

Buy:

Miners

Old Yeller

Silba

Sell:

Government debt

Seems easy enough

Very nice and interesting presentation. Thanks for posting!

What he says about Gold is basically nothing else but that we will go back to the Gold standard. Will that really happen? I don't know.

I doubt that we a re currently in the "awareness phase" regarding Gold and that we haven't even reached any kind of "mania phase". Really? I know that a very big german bank did run out of physical Gold, they simply could'nt satisfy the demand of clients. That was in 2008. That was 4 years ago.

Gold is since 10 years in a bull. When we look at the weekly chart we could say that at least in 2006 it was clearly to see that Gold is in a strong bull market and once it broke 1000 in 2009 it came clearly into the focus of the general public. If I remember correctly we even had cover stories about Gold, but even that didn't stop Gold to go higher and higher. Technically, since the bull run began, we only had ONE touch of the weekly tunnel (which is roughly K-Wave's 900 daily SMA). Gold is mega bullish since years, in fact since a whole DECADE.

If someone says that Gold hasn't even reached any kind of "mania phase" he simply says the following: Gold will go to TEN THOUSAND.

Gold weekly (log chart)

post-510-0-27756200-1350809577_thumb.png

The strength in the housing market in the Berkeley Hills around me is unmistakable. A blog that covers the housing market in San Francisco reflects the same. Spot checking communities on Redfin around the entire Bay Area shows y-o-y gains in both median price and median $/sqft. Conversations with the few couples we know who don't yet own involve their despair, as they submit offers that are outbid and they watch the market race away from them again.

Got $20 million?

http://www.redfin.com/CA/Los-Altos/27040-Old-Trace-Ln-94022/home/1483903

Archived