4:33 [WMT] Wal-Mart:Resignation related to 3rd party bill payments

4:33 [WMT] Wal-Mart:Resignation related to use of co gift cards

4:33 [WMT] Wal-Mart: Resignation follow internal investigation

4:33  [WMT] Wal-Mart director Thomas Coughlin resigns from board

4:33  [WMT] Wal-Mart:Resignation related to personal reimbursements

4:33  [WMT] Wal-Mart:Resignation related to 3rd party bill payments

4:33  [WMT] Wal-Mart:Resignation related to use of co gift cards

4:33  [WMT] Wal-Mart: Resignation follow internal investigation

Same Caughlin is on the board of Choice Point.... hacked credit firm...

Double order of bad karma...

FWIW, Friday SPX closed on a higher low than the previous closing low of 1/21/5, on lower volume.

A bounce looks in the cards, maybe on a test of 1168 again on Monday.

I wouldn't rule out a flagpole day, though. EOM, day after holiday weekend, EOQ, etc. Usual b.s.

Closed SPX puts yesterday.

post-387-1111793787_thumb.gif

Bill Murphy has my Bloomberg news bigs posted in his discussion today.....

Wonder if he realizes that they are a joke....or if he thinks they are real.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Some goodies in these news stories. Intervention everywhere, except in the gold market of course:

Maybe there will be some "words" uttered over the weekend:

March 25 (Bloomberg) -- Japan's Ministry of Finance expressed concern over the sharp drop in U.S. Treasuries last week. A spokesman was quoted as saying that several MOF officials were considering "concerted intervention", citing the need for "price stability". Many Japanese banks, the largest holders of U.S. Treasuries, close their fiscal year on March 31.

March 26 (Bloomberg) -- Ottmar Issing, ECB chief economist, dismissed Mr. Schroeder?s challenge to abandon the EU Growth and Stability Pact. On Sunday, Mr. Issing again warned that the ECB was "concerned about following Mr. Greenspan's bubble policies" and that expanding deficit spending was "taking the EU in the wrong direction," he added. He also noted that Euro strength was paramount to the region's ability to secure discounted prices for key commodities, such as crude oil, which is trading at record highs in U.S. dollar terms, but remains historically inexpensive in Euro terms.

March 26 (Bloomberg) -- The U.S. next week is forecast to say the economy added less than 200,000 non-farm jobs for a second straight month in March, according to a Bloomberg survey of economists. In contrast, German joblessness probably rose 75,000 in March, a Bloomberg survey of economist showed. The statistics are released on March 31. "Recent data indicate the economic outlook is less bullish'' in the U.S., said Kevin Jamdis, manager of the FirstOneOut HedgeFund, with $3.2 billion under management. "The Fed may have to cut rates at the next meeting in May", he said. "The amount of short positions in U.S. Treasuries is near a record". Jamdis recommends semiconductor and Internet stocks in order to participate in the "inevitable meltup".

Pretty funny.

Stool commentary is getting around the globe.......

Thanks to N. Ron Hubbard for giving me the idea.....

Shorty, I think we need to go long MSO for an AssBlast...

Short interest is 91 Freakin' Percent!

big.chart?symb=mso&compidx=aaaaa:0&ma=0&maval=9&uf=0&lf=1&lf2=0&lf3=0&type=2&size=2&state=8&sid=158734&style=320&time=8&freq=1&nosettings=1&rand=8462&mocktick=1&rand=1994

maybe, but I don't like MSO because its future looks bleak and they lose money every quarter and I don't see anything they have that anybody really wants -- I bought some Martha Stewart towels at KMRT and they tore apart when I used them, her stuff is all crap IMO, and the biggest insider is her (or her daughter), more than half of the stock so when she sells it will be the dump heard 'round the world and she will have to sell because she doesn't have much wealth outside that stock which I think has a good chance of trading below $5 within two years, there's a lot of copycats on radio now giving advice on tasty recipes and backyard herb gardening and cute knick-knack arrangements, where's the barrier to entry?

contrast that with TASR which makes a profit every quarter and is still growing and has a useful product people really want and need, and the insiders already dumped a lot 6 months ago -- I can imagine that one screaming higher but I just don't have any confidence in MSO

Restaurants continue to outperform.

Along with other assorted retailers, this is the "conundrum" for the bears.

YUM, DRI, and that company that makes the carbonation bottles for fountain drinks, NUCO took off huge yesterday:

big.chart?symb=nuco&compidx=aaaaa:0&ma=0&maval=9&uf=0&lf=1&lf2=0&lf3=0&type=2&size=2&state=8&sid=15887&style=320&time=8&freq=1&nosettings=1&rand=5116&mocktick=1&rand=9794

im waiting for RRGB to get a bit higher - J6P wont be eating gourmet burgers, he'll be eating Kraft "Macroni & Cheese" outta the box.

"The US Federal Reserve is behind the curve and scrambling to catch up.?  Inflation risks seem to be mounting at precisely the moment when America?s current-account deficit is out of control.? Higher real interest rates are the only answer for these twin macro problems.? For an unbalanced world that has become a levered play on low real interest rates, the long-awaited test could finally be at hand."

Roach's Latest

After estimating that a 'neutral' Fed Funds rate would be 5.75% (a full 3.00% higher than today), Roach concludes --

Should the Fed fail to deliver on the interest rate front, I believe that the US current-account correction would then be forced increasingly through the dollar.? And that would redirect the onus of global rebalancing away from the American consumer onto the backs of Europe, Japan, and China.? Call it a ?beggar-thy-neighbor? monetary policy defense -- pushing the burden of adjustment onto someone else.

Roach is right. Long before the Fed Funds rate hits 5.75%, some highly-levered component of the Ponzi economy is going to snap. The Fed will go into 'rescue mode' -- flooding the economy with liquidity. And that means sacrificing the dollar.

By sacrificing the dollar, the US can 'socialize the cost' onto the rest of the world.

:ph34r: Death to the dollah! :ph34r:

MH,

any thoughts on the Yen carry trade?

FWIW, Friday SPX closed on a higher low than the previous closing low of 1/21/5, on lower volume.

A bounce looks in the cards, maybe on a test of 1168 again on Monday.

I wouldn't rule out a flagpole day, though. EOM, day after holiday weekend, EOQ, etc. Usual b.s.

Closed SPX puts yesterday.

LOU,

i think thats why they parked it so close to major support - look for the stops to get run and a big reversal on monday.

"The US Federal Reserve is behind the curve and scrambling to catch up.?? Inflation risks seem to be mounting at precisely the moment when America?s current-account deficit is out of control.? Higher real interest rates are the only answer for these twin macro problems.? For an unbalanced world that has become a levered play on low real interest rates, the long-awaited test could finally be at hand."

Roach's Latest

After estimating that a 'neutral' Fed Funds rate would be 5.75% (a full 3.00% higher than today), Roach concludes --

Should the Fed fail to deliver on the interest rate front, I believe that the US current-account correction would then be forced increasingly through the dollar.? And that would redirect the onus of global rebalancing away from the American consumer onto the backs of Europe, Japan, and China.? Call it a ?beggar-thy-neighbor? monetary policy defense -- pushing the burden of adjustment onto someone else.

Roach is right. Long before the Fed Funds rate hits 5.75%, some highly-levered component of the Ponzi economy is going to snap. The Fed will go into 'rescue mode' -- flooding the economy with liquidity. And that means sacrificing the dollar.

By sacrificing the dollar, the US can 'socialize the cost' onto the rest of the world.

:ph34r: Death to the dollah! :ph34r:

Yep.

If interest rates rise to 5.75%, the current account deficit will soar from its January rate of around $750 billion per year to $1 trillion as interest costs rise. Then the dollar will fall as the US runs into the world's absolute limits to provide that much funding for the CA.

But rates will never get that high, although they might reach 4% or so before a major credit event comes to pass. But if they cut rates, the CA will remain out of balance - and the dollar will remain under pressure.

Seems like the dollar may keep falling in the longer term. When the Fed reverses course and loosens again, buy commodities or commodity related companies right away.

Gentlemen:

Real estate continues to smoke here in SoCal with buyers running too and fro. Representing buyers on a new and very nice 2bd/2.5bth townhouse. 2,650SF for $1,395,000. At that price they ought to buy two :D

Sold all bond funds and am almost completely in CD's now, laddered between 6 to 18 months. Preservation of capital, even if it's in $$$$.

I think that Shorty may be right about the market giving up the ghost here, but I'm inclined to think we are due for a very healthy bounce in both equities and bonds. Will be keeping an open mind about a short fund when that run's it's course.

I still cling to the belief that the 10 year bond is in a bull market, unless TLT can take out the 87-88 area. Watching and waiting.

Why would goog be priced higher than yhoo?

I'd short goog before shorting yhoo.

shorty,

that was an excellent post. Very balanced too. I absolutely agree that one mustnt short things like MSFT, INTC and some other "core investments". and yes i say those two are core investments. Of course they also skyrocked in the internet bubble, were overpriced and all that, but which tech stock wasnt during that time? MySaft and rotINhell will at least be baught with both hands when they reach their long term uptrends, they will always be strong bids for stocks like these at lower levels. I dunno if it would be wise to short the market leader and the Mafia and Italotell are not only leaders, but quasi monopolists. So my advice: hands away from them. There is so much crap out there which screams day after day "short me, shorty!  :lol:

i think one example for a gigantic shithole is Yaaaaaahooooo! Are they a leader? Not really. Are they a quasi monopolist? No. Have they a business model which is unique and the investment cost is o high that no other firm can gain significant market share? Nope. So why not short they living crap out of that thing?

YHOO weekly, 50 SMA already broken, next stop at 200 EMA weekly which served once as res then as sup

Why would goog be priced higher than yhoo?

I'd short goog before shorting yhoo.

shorty,

YHOO weekly, 50 SMA already broken, next stop at 200 EMA weekly which served once as res then as sup

Experienced traders always short the weakest stocks in the weakest sectors, and go long the strongest stocks in the strongest sectors.

Archived