Weak-end thread June 4-6.

Bulldozer Rampage In Granby

Jun 4, 2004 5:36 pm US/Mountain

GRANBY, Colo. (News 4) A man barricaded inside a fortified bulldozer went on a rampage through this mountain town Friday, firing shots and knocking down buildings as he plowed through the streets. It was not immediately known whether anyone had been injured.

http://news4colorado.com/topstories/local_..._156173524.html

Was it soup? :P

I see where Machinehead wrote that lighting M-80s and tossing them from his bicycle was more Soup's style and that members of the Rotary Club have been advised to stay off the streets.

:lol: :lol:

• Replies 414
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On our National News earlier-GM sales down 15% in May, Ford down 15.9% and the Dealers ALL acknowledge Vans and Suv's out small, fuel efficient stuff IN, Focus and Matrix sales waaaaay up. But Car Manufacturers make bugger all on small vehicles-look out below for the Auto manufacturers.

I think they LOSE $ on the smaller cars. Perhaps price hikes might be in the offing in the smaller car market. They might hold, due to demand.

I posted on HyperTiger's board that, for week ending 24 May, M3 down $25.2 bil.

By my figuring that works out to about 14.5% annualized.

This after a couple of weeks of rip-roaring Weimar Republic-type growth.

Something is up.

Without getting into the "Gory Details" as it is already well reported the Idiot Prince sat there like a big lump as the Pope ripped him to shreds-the Pontiff has never, ever castigated a world leader until now and as he was ripping him a 150,000 Italians were marching with signs "Bush no War-Go Home" this Guy has done a lot of damage to America and THAT is a Damn Shame!

EA cuts 117 jobs following closures

By Carolyn Pritchard, CBS MarketWatch.com

Last Update: 9:14 PM ET June 4, 2004

SAN FRANCISCO (CBS.MW) -- Electronic Arts said it expects to cut 117 jobs in its fiscal first quarter as a result of a studio restructuring, according to a filing Friday with the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission.

http://aolpf5.marketwatch.com/news/story.a...7D&siteid=aolpf

EA cuts 117 jobs following closures

By Carolyn Pritchard, CBS MarketWatch.com

Last Update: 9:14 PM ET June 4, 2004

SAN FRANCISCO (CBS.MW) -- Electronic Arts said it expects to cut 117 jobs in its fiscal first quarter as a result of a studio restructuring, according to a filing Friday with the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission.

http://aolpf5.marketwatch.com/news/story.a...7D&siteid=aolpf

They must not need so many employees because of the productivity increase from getting all those new Intel computers.

I'd laugh if it weren't that so many people are losing good jobs.

On the bright side

Honda Offers 1,000 New Jobs at Lincoln Plant

(Lincoln-AP) -- Looking for a new job or one that pays better. Honda says it needs 1,000 workers to fill various positions at its auto manufacturing plant in Lincoln.

The automaker said applicants must apply through the Alabama Industrial Development Training. The agency said it will begin accepting applications on June 6. Candidates have until July second to request an application, which must be completed and returned no later than July 31st.

Honda officials said some of the new jobs pay as much as $26-an-hour.

http://www.waff.com/Global/story.asp?S=1918282

Asian car makers are taking advantage of the cheaper labor and tax in the deep south.. Hyunda (sp?) is also building a plant in Montgomery AL. due to open in a year or 2

Lets talk for a mo about property taxes since it is that time of year, I am really pissed ours went up $500.- bucks to $4,600 net due to they say a red hot real estate market driving up assessments which is crap unless you sell. We have a typical small town Mayor and Council think Snow White and the 7 Dwarfs who piss money away like any council of mental midgets does. Is this unique or general in north america??

here's my take on the high p/c. During the interest rate scare 4-6 weeks ago, lots of stock was dumped by leveraged specs, much more than the meager fall in index values would suggest. The bulge firms had to take on all this inventory or else let the indices fall tremendously. Who knows what their motivations were. Could be derivative books that weren't ready for a big drop, or for the conspiratorially minded, they are going to make sure the market is held up for the election, as they think Bush can get Social Security reformed into a bonanza for Wall Street. In any event, the bulge boys bought lots of puts to hedge themselves. The rise in the p/c is the evident expression of the interest rate mania from a month-6 weeks ago.

Where to from here? I think the boyz have been trying to engineer a rally into which they can offload their inventory, but it's been tough sledding. 1127 has been staunch. The low volume (an expression of cynicism by the market as a whole) has not helped their cause. I believe if they can't get a rally started soon, they will dump their inventory and collect on their hedges. OCICBW, WTFDIK?

On a more general note, if the p/c is to be interpreted traditionally here, and we've got a monster rally coming, then we've got a 100% pure market of cynics on our hands, and the bear is over until the cynics go away, which is probably never. Everyone knows it's overvalued crap, but it won't/can't go down in price due to the machinations of human nature and the derivatives market. What a perfectly delightful situation.

Archived