The Changing Of The Trash

DrStool

You might be interested to take a look at my prediction on the old board (made on November 27) regarding which stocks will be added and which ones - removed.

I have failed to predict correctly the removal of only two stocks - CHTR and ITWO. :) OTOH, my prediction of which stocks would be added was a total failure. :(

Regards,

Vesselin

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thor, no, it was much simpler. ;)

NASDAQ has again re-arranged their site and I can't find the rules about which stocks should be part of the NDX right now, but basically they are:

1) The stock must be trading on the NASDAQ. (Duh!)

2) It must not be a financial stock, an ADR or a stock of a non-US company.

3) Some other minor restrictions which I don't remember right now.

4) Of the stocks that match the above rules, select the 100 that have the largest market cap.

So, I went to MS Money's stock screener and requested a list of all NASDAQ stocks, with market cap as large as possible. Then I weeded out those that seemed like financial stocks, according to their name.

Of the remaining ones, I listed as "candidates for inclusion" all stocks that weren't currently part of the NDX. I listed as "candidates for removal" all stocks that were currently part of the NDX but that were listed after (in order of decreasing market cap) the first candidate for inclusion.

Unfortunately, the screener cannot return more than 100 entries. After removing the financial stocks, the ADRs and the stocks of non-US companies, I ended up with less than 100 candidates, so obviously my lists missed some. I didn't expect to be so wrong about the inclusion candidates, though. :(

And, no, determining which ones should be "in" is supposed to be much easier than which ones should be "out" - just pick those among the 100 largest-cap non-financial, non-etc. NASDAQ stocks that aren't currently part of the NDX.

Regards,

Vesselin

Archived