3 Day Weekend Bender

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ollie goes to the Dr. Dr finds nothing remarkable-a good checkup - and asks Ollie if he has any questions.

Ollie explains that when he was a young man he could grab 'it' and 'it' was as firm as a giant oak, straight, tall, and wouldn't bend.

Then Ollie explains that when he was middle aged, with teenagers in the house, he could grab 'it' and 'it' would sway, like a birch, still tall, but with some give to it.

Finally Ollie observes that as an old man when he grabs 'it' he can move it back and forth, up and down, without any resistance whatsoever.

So Ollie asks, Doc, what do you think? Am I getting stronger?

First time in my life I have to say I am ashamed of what America is becoming. . .

What ever happened to taking responsiblity for ourselves and our mistakes?

Bailout Ben and the Chimp - what a joke.

604694[/snapback]

THIS is the first time you've been ashamed?! Given what's been going on the past 5, 10, 20, or 25 years- depending on what "landmark" you'd like to start counting from- I'm really surprised that THIS is what tipped you over. To me, it's more of the same. In fact, I was mildly surprised that "Bailout Ben and the Chimp" at least SOUNDED somewhat conservative on this, and I mean that in a good way. Hearing the President say, "It's not the government's job to bail out speculators or those who made the decision to buy a home they knew they could never afford," was quite refreshing, given the whiny banter of Schumer & company. Yes, I know all these guys are selling us down the river, and at the end of the day, the only difference between having the Republicans and Democrats in power will be who's left holding the bag. But it's nice to hear a little bit of this old time personal responsibility rhetoric for a change, even if it is just rhetoric....

Ollie goes to the Dr.  Dr finds nothing remarkable-a good checkup - and asks Ollie if he has any questions. 

Ollie explains that when he was a young man he could grab 'it' and 'it' was as firm as a giant oak, straight, tall, and wouldn't bend.

Then Ollie explains that when he was middle aged, with teenagers in the house, he could grab 'it' and 'it' would sway, like a birch, still tall, but with some give to it.

Finally Ollie observes that as an old man when he grabs 'it' he can move it back and forth, up and down, without any resistance whatsoever.

So Ollie asks, Doc, what do you think?  Am I getting stronger?

604703[/snapback]

I'm waiting for the drum roll and the "punch" line..... :o

First time in my life I have to say I am ashamed of what America is becoming. . .

What ever happened to taking responsiblity for ourselves and our mistakes?

Bailout Ben and the Chimp - what a joke.

604694[/snapback]

Agreed.

They cannot "give" to some without, in a very real and painful relative sense, taking away from others.

To intentionally reward recklessnes and wastefulness while punishing prudence, productivity and responsibility is just plain immoral.

The clear and obvious intention is to flatten out the bottom 99% so that no one can get ahead, leaving the top 1% high in the sky above. Break the honest people both financially and spiritually, leaving a drunken mass of uneducated demoralized TV-watching Homer Simpsons to provide low-paid services to the top 1%.

Work hard, earn more than the median income as a W-2 salaried employee (with no paid overtime and no pension)? Be raped by the taxman, and banned from any government program.

Pay your mortgage every month? SUCKER!!!

Best strategy for average person is to game the system by working under-the-table cash basis, sucking every benefit you can -- welfare, food stamps, unemployment, free health care, college grants, gov't guaranteed "low-income" loans, etc. and just laugh your ass off at any honest schmuck doofus who plays by the rules.

I live in Kali on the Central Coast. We have a lot of local banks that have been doing lots of development lending. Just noticed that the boys are starting a new local bank and the local rags said they've had a really easy time getting 50M in capital. A few years ago most of the local yokel banker started with 6M. What a great way to start over. Bet the new bank doesn't do develepment loans. They'll probably stick to wine financing. Lots of folks will be buying lots of cases. Besides, now on our local TV station some sleaze shop running ads for sheeple to invest in construction loans with double digit returns!

Even as intermediate term indicators have now turned up, there may still be one more shank coming. Just like in May/June 2006, when the market broke its downtrend and the "all clear" bell was rung... only to get shanked to retest the lows once more before fianlly taking off.

Look at the similarities:

post-1762-1188592640_thumb.jpg

post-1762-1188592652_thumb.jpg

No doubt about it: real estate* always goes up!

(*tax) :P

With property values in Indiana being reassessed for the first time in six years, Laura Hile said she expected that the tax bill for her modest three-bedroom home would be big.  After all, state officials had warned residents to expect an increase of as much as 24%.  But when the bill arrived this summer, Hile's annual taxes were almost 200% higher than before -- an extra $3,000 a year. It's more than she can afford to pay.  "I can't afford to keep my house," said Hile, 48, a medical writer for pharmaceutical firm Eli Lilly & Co. "I feel very stuck, and I'm very afraid. For the first time in my life, I'm thinking about just walking away from everything."
LATimes

Can anyone explain to me the settlement procedure on the SPU futures. The last trade went across at 1474.70, yet the settlement price is 1476.70 according to the CME. That is a good 2 point difference for no apparent reason. Talking about a closing happy print. This did not even print, but they may it so anyway.

Archived