Monday 5/24/04

On the other hand, everyone may say "Holy Sh*t, these people have no idea what is going on." I don't think it is a given that tomorrow is going to have be a strong rally day. Gap and crapola.

• Replies 250
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This lying bastard is going to use the words Terror and Terrorist in conjunction with Iraq at every possible opportunity. It has been the strategy, and continues to be so. Every problem we have is tied to this strategy. There were no Al Qaeda in Iraq until we invaded and left the borders unprotected. We sent our forces into an indefensible position, inviting the outcome that has resulted. This is not the fault of Iraq, or Iraqis. This is the fault of U.S. civilian politicians.

Hopefully, we will see some brave journalists, politicians and military leaders take him to task, and get this debate on an honest playing field. Some how, some way, the American people need to separate this war from the war on terror. We were told that the war in Iraq was to have a finite ending. we were also told that the war agains terror would be ongoing. How can you make the argument that these are on in the same? Apples vs. Oranges. WAKE UP PEOPLE!

The administration's efforts to tear down this prison is ONLY to deny the opportunity for it to remain a permenant museum of the war crimes committed there.

These smoke screens are not going to fly.

The invasion of Iraq was NEVER about TERRORISM...NEVER.

GW's revisionist history cannot be allowed to prevail.

He's lying.

Guest Icky Twerp

PCRDX Up .41

SSRI up .42

few more days like that & I"ll label it the blowoff before Yobob's deflationary whopsaw...

This lying bastard is going to use the words Terror and Terrorist in conjunction with Iraq at every possible opportunity.  It has been the strategy, and continues to be so.  Every problem we have is tied to this strategy.  There were no Al Qaeda in Iraq until we invaded and left the borders unprotected.  We sent our forces into an indefensible position, inviting the outcome that has resulted.  This is not the fault of Iraq, or Iraqis.  This is the fault of U.S. civilian politicians.

Hopefully, we will see some brave journalists, politicians and military leaders take him to task, and get this debate on an honest playing field.  Some how, some way, the American people need to separate this war from the war on terror.  We were told that the war in Iraq was to have a finite ending.  we were also told that the war agains terror would be ongoing.  How can you make the argument that these are on in the same?  Apples vs. Oranges.  WAKE UP PEOPLE!

The administration's efforts to tear down this prison is ONLY to deny the opportunity for it to remain a permenant museum of the war crimes committed there.

These smoke screens are not going to fly.

The invasion of Iraq was NEVER about TERRORISM...NEVER.

GW's revisionist history cannot be allowed to prevail.

He's lying.

General Franks bailed out real quick after the success of the invasion! :D

ABC, CBS, NBC are not broadcasting this event...mostly carried on cable.

Total BULL SH*T. :huh: with some flatulance thrown in for good luck. :rolleyes:

Iraq oil exports to rise? Well I don't think so.

Iraq-Turkey pipeline bombed

From correspondents in Kirkuk

May 25, 2004

SABOTEURS overnightbombed and damaged a pipeline that takes crude from the northern Kirkuk oilfields to Turkey, a security official of Iraq's Northern Oil Company said.

"At 7pm local time (1am AEST Tuesday), an explosive device detonated on a pipeline," Jumaa Ahmed said.

He said the attack was carried out on a pipeline linking the Kirkuk oilfields to the Dibis pumping installations, 50 km further north.

"Pumping had to be stopped in order to battle the fire," he said.

Issam Mohammed, another security official for Northern Oil, said the fire was later put out but the damage would take 12 days to repair.

http://www.news.com.au/common/story_page/0...55E1702,00.html

post-20-1085446351_thumb.jpg

The ambassador, a former head of Saudi intelligence agencies, said some American congressmen had spoken openly about hopes that "in a year or two they would be producing so much oil in Iraq that, as it were, the war would pay for itself."

The Ambassador knows with certainty. One of the current problems is

that most of the rigs, tool bits and other heavy hardware are of Soviet Origin

non-compatible with US gear.

Given the political climate in Saudi there is likely to be more'outrageous'

statements from the Royal Family...particularly this branch of that family. :rolleyes:

Hunter65, once more we get "bit in the ass" by something we failed to do!

I think it was in the 70's that the US was supposed to convert to the metric

system. Didn't happen! Is it any wonder that our equipment is not compatible with the metrics used for tools, etc., used by the rest of the world?

"MY WAY OR THE HIGHWAY!" Well, they all took the highway, now we sit

in a mess of incompatibility. Can we, as a Nation, ever learn what it means

to "work together?" That sometimes WE have to change?

As you may have noticed in tonight's Bush-speak, nothing is changed.

He said not one single thing that was not already known.

All he gave was a set of goals, goals that are broad and general.

Congress has been screaming for the strategy of how he plans to reach the goals.

He failed to deliver.

We will continue "to muddle through...."

I happen to be one of those who believes that the US had no intention of

leaving Iraq. We are building 14 permanent military bases in Iraq and a huge

electronic surveillance and communication system that covers the whole Middle East...

Why? ...think about that!

Sherlock :angry:

All he gave was a set of goals, goals that are broad and general.

Congress has been screaming for the strategy of how he plans to reach the goals.

He failed to deliver.

what do you expect from a man who is an alcoholic, was a "C" student and is proud of it.

plans require logic, attention to detail, vision, to name a few. you don't develop those traits by being a "c" student

Shrub is a follower who thinks he is leading. very dangerous

edited

Well now my lady and I just got home and I missed the Idiot Prince as wewere in meetings-so what did he saaaaay??? huh, huh?? was it more drivel?? ;)

Peter Slevin: To my ear, there was nothing new in the speech, except perhaps the announcement that the United States would build a new maximum security prison at Abu Ghraib. The speech was short on details and certainly offered no change in course.

The speech seemed to me an attempt to regain the moral high ground and project a sense of confidence about a mission that has gone badly awry.

President Bush repeatedly contrasted the behavior and ambitions of the United States and its foes, saying it was a contest of "liberty and life" against "tyranny and murder."

http://discuss.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/z...levin052404.htm

Andy Rooney:

The guards who tortured prisoners are faced with a year in prison. Well, great. A year for destroying our reputation as decent people.

I don't want them in prison, anyway. We shouldn't have to feed them. Take away their right to call themselves American - that's what I?d do. You aren't one of us. Get out. We don't want you. Find yourself another country or a desert island somewhere. If the order came from someone higher up, take him with you.

In the history of the world, several great civilizations that seemed immortal have deteriorated and died. I don't want to seem dramatic tonight, but I've lived a long while, and for the first time in my life, I have this faint, faraway fear that it could happen to us here in America as it happened to the Greek and Roman civilizations.

Too many Americans don't understand what we have here, or how to keep it. I worry for my grandchildren, my great-grandchildren. I want them to have what I've had, and I sense it slipping away.

http://www.commondreams.org/views04/0524-12.htm

Well now my lady and I just got home and I missed the Idiot Prince as wewere in meetings-so what did he saaaaay??? huh, huh?? was it more drivel?? ;)

You would have thrown something at your TV, Brian.

Gulf oil production problem may stop additions to the Strategic Petroleum Reserve:

I love the title of this story too. :o

'Inadvertant shutdown' occurs on Mars oil pipeline in the Gulf of Mexico

By OGJ editors

HOUSTON, May 24 -- Shell Oil Co. Monday reported an "inadvertent shutdown" of the safety valves on the 250,000 b/d, 18-in. Mars oil pipeline in the Gulf of Mexico occurred on Saturday. The pipeline extends about 40 miles from the Mars tension-leg platform to West Delta Block 143 in the gulf. Subsequently, the units on the TLP also were shut down, Shell said.

Other industry sources ... speculated that repairs on the line could take anywhere from 10 to 60 days.

The Shell spokeswoman said that the company would not speculate on how the markets might react to the current shut-in or what effect, if any, the incident would have on the White House's controversial plans to fill the Strategic Petroleum Reserve by mid-2005.

The loss of oil production from Mars, however, could have obvious political implications for plans to refill the SPR because the program, since the administration of former President Bill Clinton, relies on royalty oil from the gulf.

http://ogj.pennnet.com/articles/web_articl...TICLE_ID=205205

HOLY GUACAMOLE!!!

http://www.commondreams.org/views04/0524-04.htm

Published on Monday, May 24, 2004 by USA Today

History Lesson: GOP Must Stop Bush

by Carl Bernstein

Today, the United States is confronted by another ill-considered war, conceived in ideological zeal and pursued with contempt for truth, disregard of history and an arrogant assertion of American power that has stunned and alienated much of the world, including traditional allies. At a juncture in history when the United States needed a president to intelligently and forcefully lead a real international campaign against terrorism and its causes, Bush decided instead to unilaterally declare war on a totalitarian state that never represented a terrorist threat; to claim exemption from international law regarding the treatment of prisoners; to suspend constitutional guarantees even to non-combatants at home and abroad; and to ignore sound military advice from the only member of his Cabinet ? Powell ? with the most requisite experience. Instead of using America's moral authority to lead a great global cause, Bush squandered it.

What did George W. Bush know and when did he know it? Another wartime president, Harry Truman, observed that the buck stops at the president's desk, not the Pentagon.

But among Republicans today, there seems to be scant interest in asking tough questions ? or honoring the example of courageous leaders of Congress who, not long ago, stepped forward, setting principle before party, to hold accountable presidents who put their country in peril.

Guest Icky Twerp

You would have thrown something at your TV, Brian.

Do ya remember when Nixon released the edited tape contents, thinking they had excised all the juicy bits, because their tin-ears didn't recognize that the dirty-words were the LEAST of their problem?

This speech, justifiably ignored by the broadcast networks, demonstrated a similar awkwardness.

I predict that either the 3rd or the 4th speech WILL be broadcast by the networks, since they, like sharks smelling blood in the water, will want to be in on the coup-de-grace.

Archived