The Post-It-Note

no sh*t mousey. They are a disgrace to the heritage of this once very proud sports town. Nothing but a AA team playing a major league schedule. Luckily we have an owner from a rich family that can use the tax writeoff (I guess). Major league baseball reminds me exactly of our national financial markets. It's all about the "gang", in this case the 8 or so richest owners. Everyone else be damned.

Of course, the smalltime owners, who have the advantage of numbers, refused to stick up for themselves, so to hell with em. They must like their tax writeoffs.

When I was a kid in Richmond VA, the AAA club of the Yankees was our baseball team so, I've been a Yankee fan all my life. I go to games once a month in NYC and I have never lost the thrill. I agree with you 27. There is a disparity. There are more middle clubs than the 8 you speak of. They could do something if they wanted to. I don't begrudge Steinbrenner. He does it because the other owners allow him to do it. The Mets are one of the 8 and they can't do jack sh*t. When they do get it together, every 10 years or so, it's almost by accident. The Mets, the Orioles and now the Dodgers show that money isn't everything. One thing I can say for the Yankees is that they do fill seats in every city they play in. You are correct regarding the heritage of the Pirates. I am a Yankee fan but, I am a baseball fan and I would like to see more parity. I like the way the NFL does it. It is very hard under their set up for any team to dominate too long but, football is a completely different set up in so many ways I don't know if it could be done the way they do it in baseball.

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Should be good for those Jan DCX puts as DCX owns 10%

Hyundai Mtr strike ends, deal worries investors;

Nearly seven weeks of strikes at Hyundai Motor (KSE:05380.KS - News) that cost South Korea's biggest car maker $1.2 billion in lost output ended on Wednesday, but the strike-ending deal to hike wages 8.6 percent worried investors.

http://biz.yahoo.com/rc/030805/autos_korea..._hyundai_1.html

the only sports leagues that deserve to live are the NFL',and CFL with hard salary caps and the NHL with a soft cap that wont stop a strike after next year. Kobe is an example of what you get when you pay a young punk 100 Million @ yr. The country has to priortize what is important and what isn't. I've been lucky I saw Joe D set the hitting streak, Don L. pitch the perfect 27 up 27 down world series game-Bobby Thomson hit the 2 out-3& 2 pitch that won the comeback Giants the series, I've seen Sugar ray and marciano the best of the best all of them including Stan the man, jersey joe and Bob's Cousey and Feller did it for a love of the game and a good buck not the crazy dough we hand to a bunch of moral illiterates today. How we got here is our fault as fans-time for a change isn't it! trade safe!

I don't 'do' sports, but seeing as we seem to be having a sporting theme tonight here are de rules of one of the 3 British sports (other two being football/soccer and rugby football)...

THE RULES OF CRICKET (Simplified version)

You have two sides, one out in the field and one in

Each man that?s in goes out and when he?s out he comes in. The next man goes in until he?s out

When they are all out the side that?s out comes in and the side that?s been in goes out and tries to get those coming in out

Sometimes you get men who are still in and not out

When both sides have been in and out including the not outs

The Game is over.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BACKGROUND

Cricket is a bat and ball team game with elaborate laws and traditions, certainly played in England before the end of the sixteenth century and now popular throughout the world.

It is played by two teams of eleven players on a field of unspecified size. Two three stump wickets are set 22 yards apart on a pitch. "Creases" are marked with white lines to help determine a fair delivery by the bowler and the successful completion of a run by the batsmen.

The ball is hard (usuallly made of cork and twine, encased in leather in two halves with a central seam around the circumference. This circumference must be between 224mm aand 229mm (8.81 ins to 9ins) and the weight must be btween 156 gms and 163 gms (5.5oz to 5.75oz). It is usually red in colour, however, occasionally white is used.

All-rounder describes a player who is good at all aspects of the game i.e. batting, bowling and fielding.

Bails are the two pieces of wood placed on top of the three vertical stumps to form the wicket.

Batting - hitting the ball with a bat.

Bouncer/Bumper refers to a fast, short pitched ball which is aimed at the upper half of the batsman.

Boundary - as this implies, it is the edge of the playing area which can be marked by a white line, rope or fence. It is also the name given when the ball is hit outside this area without touching the playing area first.

Bowled - dismissal of batsman when the ball knocks the bails off the stumps.

Bowling - throwing the ball.

Bowling Crease refers to a painted line, 8ft. 8ins. / 2.64m in length extending on both sides of the wicket behind which the bowler delivers the ball.

Bye is a run scored from a ball which passes the batsman without touching his bat or body.

Carrying one's bat is a term given to an opening batsman (i.e. the first batsman in) who remains unbeaten thoughout the innings.

Century - one hundred runs scored by a batsman in one innings.

Crease is a painted line within which the bowler must bowl and at which the opposing batsman stands.

Duck is when a batsman fails to score any runs.

Extra is a run which is added to the total but not credited to the batsman.

Fielding - retrieving the ball and returning to the bowler. The side not batting do the fielding.

Follow-on. A side which bats first and leads by a set number of runs after both teams have played their first innings has the option of making the opposing team bat again before they do.

Full toss. A bowled ball which does not bounce before reaching the batsman.

Gully - the fielding position between point and slips.

Hat-trick. Three wickets taken with three consecutive balls by the same bowler.

Innings. The part of the game in which the side is batting.

Inswinger. A ball which moves in flight from off to leg stump.

Leg before wicket (lbw), when it is considered that a bowled ball would have hit the wicket (i.e. stumps) had it not hit the batsman's body or clothes first. The cricketer is dismissed from the field.

Leg-bye. A run obtained from a ball that hit a part of the batsman's body apart from his hands.

Leg slip - a fielder positioned to catch a ball glancing off the bat to the leg side behind the wicket.

Leg spin. A bowled ball which spins in such a way as to deviate from the leg side after bouncing.

Leg stump - the stump on the leg side.

Leg theory - bowling to leg with fielders massed on that side.

Leg trap - a group of fielders near the wicket on the leg side.

Maiden over - an over from which no runs are scored.

Night-watchman is a lower order batsman sent in to play when a wicket falls just before close of play.

No Ball. A ball incorrectly bowled for which a penalty of one run is awarded. No Ball can be caused by a variety of reasons.

Over refers to a period of play. In First Class cricket in Britain this currently comprises six consecutive deliveries by one bowler from one end of the pitch.

Pitch - the area between the creases.

Point - a fielder or the position, on the off side near the batsman.

Run. This is the method of scoring. Each time the batsmen run between the two wickets one run is scored.

Runner is a member of the batting side who is allowed to run for a batsman who is injured during the match. He must be equipped in the same way as the batsman for whom he is running.

Run-out. When a batsman is running between the wickets but does not reach the crease before the ball touches the stumps. This batsmen is then dismissed.

Run-up. The approach by the bowler before the ball leaves his hands.

Seam. The stitching around the circumference of the ball.

Sight-screen. This is a removable screen (usually white) placed beyond the boundary behind the bowler to give the batsman a better view of the ball.

Single is one run by a batsman.

Slip - a fielder positioned to retrieve balls glancing off the bat to the offside.

Stumped. A method of dismissal by the wicket keeper when the batsman is outside his crease and the ball touches the stumps.

Stumps are wooden uprights (of which there are three) on which the bails are balanced to form the wicket.

Wicket - three wooden posts (stumps) 28" (710mm) high and placed so as to total 9 ins. (230mm) wide, on top of which are placed two wooden bails. Two wickets are used, one each end of the pitch 22 yards (20.1m) apart.

Wide - a ball bowled so high over or wide of the wicket that, in the opinion of the umpire, it is out of the reach of the batsman. A penalty of one run is invoked.

Yorker - a ball bowled so that it pitches under the bat.

Source

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz! LOL

gruff

the only sports leagues that deserve to live are the NFL',and CFL with hard salary caps and the NHL with a soft cap that wont stop a strike after next year. Kobe is an example of what you get when you pay a young punk 100 Million @ yr. The country has to priortize what is important and what isn't. I've been lucky I saw Joe D set the hitting streak, Don L. pitch the perfect 27 up 27 down world series game-Bobby Thomson hit the 2 out-3& 2 pitch that won the comeback Giants the series, I've seen Sugar ray and marciano the best of the best all of them including Stan the man, jersey joe and Bob's Cousey and Feller did it for a love of the game and a good buck not the crazy dough we hand to a bunch of moral illiterates today. How we got here is our fault as fans-time for a change isn't it! trade safe!

simply said...no $hit!!

CONTRARIAN ALERT

Just got back from short trip to Kansas to see my in-laws. My father in law had a stock tip for me. SNE. "It's expected to double in the next 3-6 months," he said. Now maybe it will, or maybe it won't. But it was the first stock tip I've gotten from anyone in a LONG time. The mania came back. Also, talking to my dad tonight...a friend of his--who made all kinds of money in the bull mania blowoff but lost his ass and had to sell his house to payoff his losses and taxes--this guy tells my dad yesterday that the markets are really going to be going up big...taking off huge in the next year. Looks and sounds like to me that everyone is back on board for the sinking of the ship. Hell, I even bought some stock last week...gold mining shares.

Also, the Kansas(Lawrence/Kansas City) housing/real estate bubble was re-ignited a year or so. My inlaws are all contractors and construction company people. And they see nothing but growth and good times forever...because: "Even though rates have risen, they're still cheaper than they've been in forty years...and THEY'LL(Greenspan and company) NEVER LET INTEREST RATES GET ABOVE SEVEN PERCENT AGAIN." I said nothing. There's no talking to someone once they've decided to drink the Kool-Aid. Of course, maybe I"M the

crazy, misguided, and deluded one. :o

The show for tonight is not Osbourne. It is the new "OC" drama on Fox, all about Orange County and the world Mark writes about daily. It has everything, young flesh, air headedness, extreme wealth, SEC scandals/insider trading, and of course the hero who happens to be a refugee from Chino. When the cool folks on the beach find out his secret (Chino, not Boston) they recoil in disgust. Great lines are "that's how they do it in the OC dude."

It is a remake of Beverly Hills 90210, with a different zip code.

Mark can get a lot of material from this show.

How we got in this debt mess is OUR fault as well. Greenspan will be blamed for it eventually but, we did it to our selves. He did push us a bit though. :wink2:

Right you are, TE. For every junkie there is a pusher. Both share part of the blame, but pushers maybe a little more so. In Al Green's case, the aura of pomposity that he has cultivated makes him particualry loathesome. There's enough blame to go around.

WHITER THAN WHITE ACCOUNTING

WALNUT CREEK, Calif., Jul 31, 2003 /PRNewswire-FirstCall via COMTEX/ -- BriteSmile, Inc. (BSML) , the leading provider of the state-of-the-art teeth whitening technology today made another industry changing announcement, unveiling its proprietary Magic Mirror?. The BriteSmile Magic Mirror? allows a user to smile in the mirror and with a click of a button see what the dramatic improvement will be like following the BriteSmile treatment. The Magic Mirror? projects the new smile using the average shade improvement achieved by the BriteSmile treatment. The BriteSmile Magic Mirror? is the first of its kind in the teeth whitening industry.

I understand that Britesmiles Magic Mirror? has been leased to much of corporate america.

It is used extensively to make financial reports appear whiter than white.

Unfortunately companies like ENRON and WORLDCOM forgot to pay their annual dues and the mirror was turned off with tragic and fatal consequences to the net worth of the bagholders involved.

PS Arthur Anderson once had a competing product called smoke and mirrors but it was found to be only partially effective.

Its funny that one of the biggest bears around (Brian4) would say only football and hockey deserve to be around. In Prechters new book he demonstrates that football and hockey are big bear market sports. He also goes deep into the baseball attendance figures and e-waves them. Baseball attendance has been declining for a while now and he shows that the massive wage and stadium expenditures signal a big top. Baseball is bull market as well as basketball. Basketball is the blow off front runner while baseball can be seen beginning to slow before the top. He makes a strong case that the bulls being the big team during our mania was no coincidence. The guy has so many amazing figures that mirror the mood of the market. Ill just add that the padres are having very poor turnout and our new stadium (Petco Park, no really) isnt even finished yet. The city is also broke.

P.S. One cool thing about e-waving the salary figures of these 'stars', is that it gives strong evidence that they will be declining dramatically soon. Also we can see from the figures that these salaries are leveraged and the teams arent making enough to cover them as it is. The bear still has much to do...

Archived