B4 The Bell Tuezleday

Guest yobob1

Fannie Mae ad:

I presume most of you have seen the recent TV campaign with the hispanic family of four at the kitchen table discussing shopping for a home and what the rates are expected to be...you know, the ad with the guy who is dumber than a sack of shit, and the wife who knows every answer to every really stupid question the guy asks...well now there's a new version.

Now the guy is reading the paper at the table saying:

"It looks like Congress is thinking about restricting Fannie Mae's ability to lend money...I sure hope that doesn't eliminate our chances to buy that new home we've been looking at." to which she responds... "it just might!"

Advertising against Congressional action, and using the low end of the economic scale (stealing the american Dream from them) as the battering ram...if I were a Congressman, I'd toast these bastards.

Are you serious? Are they really doing that?

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply
A major story in Europe very underreported here is that Russian/U.S. relations have gotten very chilly in the last 72 hours. Apparently Putin has been furious about U.S. military personnel being in Georgia and Uzbekistan. Yesterday NATO announced after the induction of the new member countries that it would permanently station two F-18's in Lithuania which borders Russia. In my view a totally stupid move! ;)

I'm watching the induction of the 7 new members into NATO on CSpan 3 (free on the web).

A major story in Europe very underreported here is that Russian/U.S. relations have gotten very chilly in the last 72 hours. Apparently Putin has been furious about U.S. military personnel being in Georgia and Uzbekistan. Yesterday NATO announced after the induction of the new member countries that it would permanently station two F-18's in Lithuania which borders Russia. In my view a totally stupid move! ;)

Georgia is one of the last pieces in the puzzle for US oil interests.

I am very surprised it has taken this long for the Russian bear to exit

his cave angry with unwelcome guests on his doorstep.

Seems geopolitical concerns are growing exponentially

A major story in Europe very underreported here is that Russian/U.S. relations have gotten very chilly in the last 72 hours.? Apparently Putin has been furious about U.S. military personnel being in Georgia and Uzbekistan.? Yesterday NATO announced after the induction of the new member countries that it would permanently station two F-18's in Lithuania which borders Russia.? In my view a totally stupid move! ;)

Thanks for the insight, Brian. Agreed, this is important. There was a third day of violence in Tashkent, Uzbekistan:

News story

Uzbekistan is a totalitarian dictatorship where political parties are not allowed. It's a former Soviet republic. And now it's a U.S. military client state, with a U.S. base. Dictator Islam Karimov may be a bastard who tortures and kills domestic political opponents. A Saddam Hussein kind of guy, you might say. But he's "our bastard."

Russia is no happier about this than the U.S. would be if the Russians moved into Guam or Puerto Rico. Militarizing the Baltic states when there is no obvious enemy is another provocation. The philosophy seems to be, if the bear is sleeping, let's poke him with a stick until he wakes up and lashes out.

Canceled ship overhaul means 500 layoffs at Todd

SEATTLE ? Todd Pacific Shipyards is temporarily laying off about 500 workers after the Navy canceled the overhaul of an aging supply ship.

"A shipyard going up and down by 500 people is not big news," Marsh said.

Marsh said Todd typically has 750 to 1,200 employees, depending on its workload. The layoffs reduced the number to 880.

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/busi...izbriefs30.html

Nothing to negotiate: No deal could save 885 lost jobs at Johnson Controls

Tuesday, March 30, 2004

There were no negotiations to keep blue-collar jobs in West Michigan. No huddles with politicians or wrangling for hefty state incentives.

By the time Johnson Controls Inc. announced Monday it will cut 885 jobs in Holland, the decision was already made.

Call it the sudden adios.

http://www.mlive.com/news/grpress/index.ss...66178615890.xml

A major story in Europe very underreported here is that Russian/U.S. relations have gotten very chilly in the last 72 hours.? Apparently Putin has been furious about U.S. military personnel being in Georgia and Uzbekistan.? Yesterday NATO announced after the induction of the new member countries that it would permanently station two F-18's in Lithuania which borders Russia.? In my view a totally stupid move! ;)

Thanks for the insight, Brian. Agreed, this is important. There was a third day of violence in Tashkent, Uzbekistan:

News story

Uzbekistan is a totalitarian dictatorship where political parties are not allowed. It's a former Soviet republic. And now it's a U.S. military client state, with a U.S. base. Dictator Islam Karimov may be a bastard who tortures and kills domestic political opponents. A Saddam Hussein kind of guy, you might say. But he's "our bastard."

Russia is no happier about this than the U.S. would be if the Russians moved into Guam or Puerto Rico. Militarizing the Baltic states when there is no obvious enemy is another provocation. The philosophy seems to be, if the bear is sleeping, let's poke him with a stick until he wakes up and lashes out.

A big build-up of US military presence occurred in Central Asia under the cover of the war on terror, particularly at the start of the US military engagement in Afghanistan. Perhaps Russia thought that when the US turned over the bulk of the real fighting there to the Russian-backed, drug-dealing Northern Coalition, a new partnership was evolving.

With Russia?s heavy new investment in oil, I think Russia will become more of one mind with OPEC and use oil as a kind of strategic weapon, perhaps diverting more oil to China for example.

Try not to laugh-now Canada is PISSED! Banner Headline todays "National Post-page 1" "Petite, Aggresive European nation dares fly its flag over Hans Island" Canada's top Diplomat in Denmark Brian Herman was called before the Royal Danish Ministry of Foreign Affairs yesterday and was asked by officials about his Countrys intentions in the territorial spat recently inflamed by Danish Sailors occupying the Island during regular Artic patrols and planting a Danish Flag on the Island. Peter Taksoe-Jensen with the Danish Ministry of Foreign Affairs said the issue will not be settled militarily and that Denmark will not post military on the Island...... Canada next month is sending 5,000 troops, a Helicopter Squadron and 3 Warships to the High Arctic to reassert its sovereignty over Han Island and the high Arctic. Aileen Carroll, Minister for International Co-operation says " Canada has consistently defended its interest in the past and it will continue to do so." ... So there you go don't fook with Canada-eh! I suggest Cream pies at 10 paces-damn Danes-I thought they they only made cookies! ;)

A major story in Europe very underreported here is that Russian/U.S. relations have gotten very chilly in the last 72 hours.  Apparently Putin has been furious about U.S. military personnel being in Georgia and Uzbekistan.  Yesterday NATO announced after the induction of the new member countries that it would permanently station two F-18's in Lithuania which borders Russia.  In my view a totally stupid move! ;)

I'm watching the induction of the 7 new members into NATO on CSpan 3 (free on the web).

C-Span is really great! Glad you watch it, too.

Its such a cool way to hear what our congress really says

vs what they spin in political speeches.

Not that they don't get political! LOL

Really educational for me.

Their procedures seem restrictive at times, though.

Haven't figured out why they speak on issues when the room is empty.

Sherlock

Try not to laugh-now Canada is PISSED! Banner Headline todays "National Post-page 1" "Petite, Aggresive European nation dares fly its flag over Hans Island" Canada's top Diplomat in Denmark Brian Herman was called before the Royal Danish Ministry of Foreign Affairs yesterday and was asked by officials about his Countrys intentions in the territorial spat recently inflamed by Danish Sailors occupying the Island during regular Artic patrols and planting a Danish Flag on the Island. Peter Taksoe-Jensen with the Danish Ministry of Foreign Affairs said the issue will not be settled militarily and that Denmark will not post military on the Island...... Canada next month is sending 5,000 troops, a Helicopter Squadron and 3 Warships to the High Arctic to reassert its sovereignty over Han Island and the high Arctic. Aileen Carroll, Minister for International Co-operation says " Canada has consistently defended its interest in the past and it will continue to do so." ... So there you go don't fook with Canada-eh! I suggest Cream pies at 10 paces-damn Danes-I thought they they only made cookies! ;)

Hans Island belongs to Canada? Really? Well, let's go! Kewl!

Archived