Suddenly And Without Warning . . .

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It seems that shopping patterns have changed. I had no trouble finding parking at the giant Target store here, lines were short inside, etc.

BUT, the Best Buy was packed. Lines were long, people had lots of boxes of stuff --

but the boxes were small, very few big TVs. CostCo is doing a great business -- in food and small items. By the way, survivalists, if you happen to be in CostCo, look in the middle of the store in the "Xmas gifts for dad" area (flashlights and such) -- they have a very good thing -- a "battery center" that has a holder for batteries (comes with lots of different sizes of batteries) and an emergency flashlight and radio. Can be wall-mounted or put in a drawer -- very good to have around for emergencies. Good gift to send to your disbelieving relatives who don't think they will have any emergencies.

I think retail sales nationally are going to be very weak -- but if other people are seeing the same thing I am, I'd be afraid of shorting Best Buy. I think people are putting their money into "family" presents and stuff to make their (free) home entertainment more pleasant.

Since this is a slow day, here is a completely, totally off-topic question: does anybody have an all-in-one printer/scanner/fax that is great? Please don't p.o. Doc by answering unless you have one that you can recommend wholeheartedly -- or maybe better yet, please personal message me. Thanks.

100% net add

Temporary Open Market Operations: 12/23/2002

Maturity Date: 12/24/02

Delivery Date: 12/23/02

The Desk has entered the market announcing: O/N RP

Temporary Operations Statistics:

Treasury Collateral Operation Agency Collateral Operation Mortgage-Backed Collateral Operation

Weighted Average Rate

1.297 1.320 NA

Stop Out Rate (Lowest Rate Accepted) 1.290 1.320 NA

Highest Rate Submitted 1.300 1.320 1.320

Lowest Rate Submitted 1.240 1.290 1.300

Total Propostions Submitted (In $Bil.) 22.650 9.500 5.925

Total Propositions Accepted (In $Bil.) 3.564 0.186 0.000

Total Money Value of Operation (In $Bil.) 3.75

The 3 day cycle is topping out. The 5 hour is close to a sell also. this thing could surprise everybody, including me and just fall apart.

doc, this sounds as a downmove in the pm is quite possible.

How much of this is post-scam week adjustment? We didn't hit max pain numbers on everything, so?

By the way, since it's slow today, is there any way to import the old smiley that looked puzzled and had question marks over its head? (You know, that portrait of me?)

Archived