A Moment Of Awakening . . .

From The Trillionaire Next Door, by Andy Borowitz

I wasn't always pulling down a salary in the high thirteen figures. Far from it. Two years ago, I was working at a fast-food restaurant, which, for the purposes of this story, will remain nameless.

I had a job in the kitchen, assembling Whoppers. As pleasant as the work was, I sensed that my chances for advancement were poor. There's a "dirty little secret" about fast-food restaurants - they're hotbeds of favoritism and cutthroat politics. In the case of this particular franchise, there was a "glass ceiling" in effect for anyone who wasn't on the good side of the restaurant's manager, one James "Jimmy" Mandeville.

What did it take to get on his bad side? Practically any little thing. Anything from showing up for work two hours late to accidentally starting a grease fire that burns down half the restaurant and forces it to close down for six weeks while the insurance investigators try to determine whether it was done on purpose or not. At any rate, I sensed that my future lay elsewhere.

There is a moment in every day trader's life, a moment of awakening, if you will, when he knows that day trading is the destiny that fate has chosen for him. My moment of awakening came one afternoon as I was putting together a Whopper With Cheese. It was a special order - hold the pickle, hold the lettuce. And as I held the pickle, I came to a sudden realization: the customer was having it his way. And I wanted it my way.

At that moment, I knew that my days at that unnamed restaurant were over. I ate the half-assembled Whopper, walked out of the restaurant, and never looked back. I wasn't going to spend the rest of my life "holding the pickle."

I realized that if I could be my own boss, the only ass I would ever have to kiss would be my ass.

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not sure how much energy applies to the CRB index but if your upset about a rate hike in your electric bill I'm sure your local utility has this in mind if your really upset. Besides, they have the power and we need it. We will pay what they want.

Speaking of Glads last line here's some you can kiss....

post-3-1039611608_thumb.gif

From Briefing.com:

7:36AM Intel Chairman Grove says it is too soon to call chip rebound (INTC) 18.13: Reuters reports that INTC Chairman Andy Grove said on Tuesday it may be too early to forecast a rebound in the semiconductor sector despite recent industry outlooks indicating an upturn may be on the horizon.

Not much reaction in the chips so far to this.

Crapvision actually has an interesting guest on this morning. He's short TOL and asks tough questions of guests. I havn't got his name yet but he's a bear.

Maria was blowing smoke about pension fund shortfalls being bullish again. :lol: Somebody should ask her where this buyback money will come from. Couldn't be future earnings could it? :grin:

Crapvision actually has an interesting guest on this morning. He's short TOL and asks tough questions of guests. I havn't got his name yet but he's a bear.

Maria was blowing smoke about pension fund shortfalls being bullish again. :lol: Somebody should ask her where this buyback money will come from. Couldn't be future earnings could it? :grin:

missed the guy's name as well. He's from Seabreeze Partners in Fla - a hedge fund. He periodically shows up on the pair-of-jackasses show and politely tells them to (well you know) - the only bear on that show that doesn't induce your gag reflex...

SG chimes in

I have to run , so its short

NDX looks like it's not gonna reach my 1065 target posted yesterday, the immediate weight is Down.

That said, should bring the NAS to 1350 anyways near term to touch on the 50 day MA.... possible spillover to 1320, but Im not betting on that right now...

I still think gaps will be filled to the upside to my 1065 NDX targets, at some point in the next week or so...

So... Im still in cash for now, will post update later on. Today should be down early on, but with possible finger formation at anytime...

Yeah, finger formation... bears hate those... unless they are in cash...

As always, I hold the Prudent Bear fund Long Term, I dont even look at it...

Im out

"this is how we do it"

guten tag liebe stoolies!

weird futures today, a trap? For now they look like as there was this spike after germany pne only to hold germany from goinf down. Maybe Deutsche Bank bought for a few million a bit of the futures, something like that?

I am asking too much.

:lol:

from barfing.com "8:57AM CDW Computer reaffirms Q4 EPS, revs below consensus (CDWC) 47.04: Co reaffirms Q4 guidance of $0.50-$0.52 (Multex consensus $0.51). CDWC is modifying its revenue guidance to $1.030-$1.050 bln (Multex consensus $1.074 bln). "Market trends have been softer than we expected beginning in mid-November, so we are adjusting our revenue guidance."

"

It's Doug Kass of Sea Breeze Partners a $2B Hedgehog. Bright guy who has been around the block 2 or 3 times.

Around the middle of this rally from October I mentioned that many former bulls have turned bearish on the economy and the market. Doug is one of them. He turned bullish in Febuary and bearish in November. His largest short positions are: C, GS, MWD, DELL, TGT, WMT, HD, LOW, CTX, TOL

Archived