Another Sleepy Summer Friday

There you have it. The global elite have decided to start a revolution an anoint the first woman president in US history. So courageous.

Elites everywhere have written off the Republicans, knowing full well Romney and Giuliani will force that dispirited electorate to stay at home or maintain a protracted nomination fight. Freddy Fly-By-Night Thompson has been assigned the task of introducing further anxiety by doing a drop-in, drop-out.

On the Democratic side, Johnny Edwards is running to bait some left-wingers away from Barack, enough to hurt him and tip the scales to Hilary. Interestingly, Barack has many more times the donors of Clinton, but still trails by 11 or so points. And the MSM is quick to point out that even blacks are having doubts about Obama.

Nice. I say we should just become like Europe and let some appointed bureaucrat become the most powerful political figure. That way, we can all save $3 on our 1040s.

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=206...Jkk8&refer=home

Goldman Sachs Chairman Blankfein Endorses Clinton

By Kristin Jensen

Lloyd Blankfein, chairman, CEO of Goldman Sachs

Aug. 8 (Bloomberg) -- Goldman Sachs Group Inc. Chairman Lloyd Blankfein endorsed Democratic New York Senator Hillary Clinton's presidential bid, a day after her opponents sought to portray her business support as more of a burden than a blessing.

Blankfein's backing follows an endorsement in April from Morgan Stanley CEO John Mack, who was one of President George W. Bush's biggest fund-raisers. Clinton has increased her donations from Wall Street constituents during her time in the Senate, and took in at least $424,545 from the top 10 investment banks in the second quarter for her presidential campaign.

• Replies 288
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"In June 2004, the Fed began to raise the short-term target rate, eventually taking it to 5.25%, where it has been for the past year. Such a boost usually leads to a rise, as well, in long-term rates, which are important to rates on 30-year conventional mortgages and corporate bonds. This time, it didn't. Mr. Greenspan expressed concern that investors were willing to accept low returns for taking on risk. "What they perceive as newly abundant liquidity can readily disappear," he said in August 2005, six months before retiring. "History has not dealt kindly with the aftermath of protracted periods of low risk premiums."

Looking back, he says today: "We tried in 2004 to move long-term rates higher in order to get mortgage interest rates up and take some of the fizz out of the housing market. But we failed.""

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1186432268...ays_us_page_one

There you have it.  The global elite have decided to start a revolution an anoint the first woman president in US history.  So courageous.

Elites everywhere have written off the Republicans, knowing full well Romney and Giuliani will force that dispirited electorate to stay at home or maintain a protracted nomination fight.  Freddy Fly-By-Night Thompson has been assigned the task of introducing further anxiety by doing a drop-in, drop-out.

On the Democratic side, Johnny Edwards is running to bait some left-wingers away from Barack, enough to hurt him and tip the scales to Hilary.  Interestingly, Barack has many more times the donors of Clinton, but still trails by 11 or so points.  And the MSM is quick to point out that even blacks are having doubts about Obama. 

Nice.  I say we should just become like Europe and let some appointed bureaucrat become the most powerful political figure.  That way, we can all save $3 on our 1040s.

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=206...Jkk8&refer=home

Goldman Sachs Chairman Blankfein Endorses Clinton

By Kristin Jensen

Lloyd Blankfein, chairman, CEO of Goldman Sachs

Aug. 8 (Bloomberg) -- Goldman Sachs Group Inc. Chairman Lloyd Blankfein endorsed Democratic New York Senator Hillary Clinton's presidential bid, a day after her opponents sought to portray her business support as more of a burden than a blessing.

Blankfein's backing follows an endorsement in April from Morgan Stanley CEO John Mack, who was one of President George W. Bush's biggest fund-raisers. Clinton has increased her donations from Wall Street constituents during her time in the Senate, and took in at least $424,545 from the top 10 investment banks in the second quarter for her presidential campaign.

598684[/snapback]

I thought Hillary and Bill were more into the RealEstate end of investing..... :D

is anyone excited yet??

This is the most intense experience of my life.

I have never experienced anything like this before.

We are witnessing history unfold.We bears have been mocked and ridiculed for years and now the worm has turned.

I can't even begin to imagine the carnage in my country.

I have done everything possible to prepare myself for this unravelling but still fear the worst.

I just hope to survive.

Did anyone watch Crapvision before the market opened.I haven't watched that show in yonks but it was amazing.

The level of defiance and bravado was incredible.Almost goading the bears to 'bring it on'.

They were running clips of the movie 300 going into ad breaks.Showing the Spartans ready to battle the invading hordes.It was surreal TV at its finest.

The excitment in the air was palatable.The various commentators were almost being more bearish than the bears.It seemed like they were going out of their way to be bearish.Spreading more fear and doom and gloom than the bears.

Either we crash Monday or this thing takes off big time.

Some are calling for rate cuts,other wiser heads say it wont happen.

Some say a surprise rate cut will cause panic,but what about the record short positions in the market,I suspect a surprise rate cut would have the shorts covering in a nanosecond.

I bet the phones are running hot all over the planet this weekend.

I will hold my long another day and see what happens.

Seriously people, scalping this thing is gonna be a bitch.?

The pinball action on tons of small stocks is just dizzying.? I'll post a few here.

Advice?

- Time.

- Limit Risk.

- Do it when you're most scared to go short.

Best.

598648[/snapback]

Agreed. Here's another one...

post-1110-1186779116_thumb.png

598656[/snapback]

i actually bought some swc right before the close ...

598675[/snapback]

Around $8 should be a good buy point as long as the Shlitz doesn't hit the Flan...

post-1110-1186786766_thumb.jpg

Aug. 10 (Bloomberg) -- Goldman Sachs Group Inc.'s $8 billion Global Alpha hedge fund has fallen 26 percent so far this year, according to people familiar with the fund.

The decline in Goldman's largest hedge fund, managed by Mark Carhart and Raymond Iwanowski, follows the drop of about 9 percent in 2006, said the people, who declined to be named because the fund is private.

Reporter: "...wtf " ?

People, who declined to be named: "Hey, just call us two 'Joey The Knuckles" and 'Bennie The Electrician'. That's all you need to know, because we're a private fund. We ain't gotta tell nobody nothin'. You hear dat " ?

Reporter: "But your investors really have a right to know".

People, now pseudo-named : "Hah, ha, he, he, ho, ho...he's a comedian, ain't he, Bennie? We ain't linin' up for no dirt nap, fella. Dey takes the risk, dey pays the price. We're history. You never talked to us. Hear ?" (knuckles crack in background)

People, now pseudo-named : "Markie and Ray got connections...get it ??? I cracks myself up sometimes" (The Electrician in background)

Oh good times of yore:

"Simons, who runs Renaissance Technologies Corp., earned $1.7 billion last year, topping Alpha's list.[...]the hedge fund firm employs roughly 80 PhD's who develop computer programs to seek out price anomalies in a wide range of markets, including equities, commodities, futures and options.

Renaissance's $6 billion Medallion fund returned 44% in 2006, topping its average annual performance of roughly 36% since 1988, Alpha said. And that was after a 5% annual management fee and a 44% performance fee. Excluding those charges, the fund returned 79% last year, Alpha reported. "

http://www.marketwatch.com/news/story/simo...DE4CA6C5641D%7D

The unexpected cruelty of the markets:

"James Simons's $29 billion Renaissance Institutional Equities Fund has fallen 8.7 percent so far in August as his computer models used to buy and sell stocks were overwhelmed by securities' price swings."

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=new...id=a9eFwgjvcC8Q

Well, I think they'll do fine. Medallion is a very exclusive fund that doesn't want to exceed a certain amount under management so that its size doesn't impair its alchemy. They've got the employee's money on Medallion of course.

Just got this veddy interrresting email. Read between the lines.

Why should IB be concerned about possible risk or fraud when the SEC, whose job it is, does not seem to care a whit?

Are they afraid that an individual may be wise enough to do what the institutions are doing?

I had a client who was having $20k cash bail posted for her this week by a bondsman. The bondsman received a $20k cashier's check and took it to his bank on Monday to get cash to take to the jail. His bank, Wells Fargo, I think, told him to come back on Wednesday for the cash. Don't know if this is unusual.

598664[/snapback]

If he was asking for hard greenbacks this is because most banks keep $5k or less on hand. I have read numerous tales of people attempting to get a few thousand and having the bank refuse. Under pressure the bank admits that they don't have enough on hand to satisfy the request.

598672[/snapback]

Here in Australia its a similar situation. If you want to withdraw more than about $5K you are advised to ring in advance and request that it be made available - this is especially true for suburban branches, but I would expect the large downtown ones to have a lot more cash on hand.

My read is that they are telling us that they are prepared for the crash and that you should be too.

My take is a little bit different Doc. I think they don't want to look like completely idiots if the market actually does crash, so they put out something like this so they can say later on "look, we warned you!"

Archived