Saddam Shocker

welcome back machine

beardrech :ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r: faces of Midas family ina New York Deli

everything i touch turns to gold--Woe is me --My pastrami my pastrami --I'd give the world for an edible pastrami sandwich---

believe it or not--

just suppose i dont believe it then what?

Then a swift kick in the nuts will empirically verify evrything i've told you

• Replies 356
  • Created
  • Last Reply
welcome back machine

beardrech :ph34r:  :ph34r:  :ph34r: faces of Midas family ina New York Deli

Bdrech, if you were Midas, you would insert a copyright notice in your signature.

From the archive of your posts one could publish a tart and erudite, if somewhat incoherent, collection of essays.

It's the same way Dostoyevsky used to write -- serialized. He was trained as an engineer, but his first design project was a military fortification without a door. He concluded -- quite properly -- that the interests of aesthetic futility would be better served with the written word, forged in a frenzy of scribbling as messengers from the harried publisher banged on his door about the missed deadlines .... a kind of writer's margin call, if you will.

Bdrech, if you were Midas, you would insert a copyright notice in your signature.

From the archive of your posts one could publish a tart and erudite, if somewhat incoherent, collection of essays.

It's the same way Dostoyevsky used to write -- serialized. He was trained as an engineer, but his first design project was a military fortification without a door. He concluded -- quite properly -- that the interests of aesthetic futility would be better served with the written word, forged in a frenzy of scribbling as messengers from the harried publisher banged on his door about the missed deadlines .... a kind of writer's margin call, if you will.

I say Brothers Karamozov is the best damned book in translation from Russian.

Mainly because I haven't read all the others.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Dmitri, Alyosha & Ivan.

Who could ever forget 'em?

Yobob -

Maybe you were just having a little fun while blowing off some ethnic steam, but you should know that for the most part, Japanese people are not the ones investing in their stock market - can't give you the exact figures of what percentage of them own stocks off the top of my Japanese head, but it's more likely that the Nikkei was bought today by - gasp! - white guys.

You got that right - unlike joemurican6pak, most Japanese know that the sm is rigged by crooks and keep their money elsewhere.

Well, nice selloff from open today after all short stops blown out, I think shorts covering via stops were also longs taking profits, so net hot money is less now since both sides closed out positions, same with daytrader dongs surprised by rally not continuing, they took losses near close which accounted for the latter portion of the decline, but they're out now too. So I expect less volatility for awhile, with upside bias thru option expiration Friday.

Japan only gave back 2/3 of Saddam rally. Futures flat to slightly green. 10,000 on Dow is still short-term support, but at least we have a trading range carved out with top at Dow 10,190 and S&P 1090 now any rallies from here can be sold, but it won't go straight down. Shorted LXK, SYMC, TOL today. Donged VXGN.

ANONYMOUS BULLETIN BOARDS ONE

WHORE STREET ZERO

From Forbes article

Top Of The News

For Years, HealthSouth Could Do No Wrong

Dan Ackman, 03.31.03, 9:39 AM ET

NEW YORK - A variety of federal investigations into HealthSouth and its long-serving highly paid chairman and chief executive, Richard Scrushy, are gaining steam. As many as five finance employees are expected to plead guilty to fraud charges, and the FBI is investigating whether Scrushy may have established offshore bank accounts last year as a tax haven, according to various reports.

HealthSouth (otc: HLSH - news - people ), one of the nation's largest providers of outpatient health care services, has said its past financial reports should not be relied on. The New York Stock Exchange has halted trading in its shares, its billing practices are under investigation and bankruptcy is a real possibility. This morning, the company released a statement declaring its employment agreement with Scrushy "null and void" and fired him from both his posts.

?? ?

??

Nearly two weeks ago, the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission accused the company and Scrushy, its founder, of inflating earnings by $1.4 billion since 1999 and overstating assets by $800 million. The accounting shenanigans may have started long before that. But, as with Enron (otc: ENRNQ - news - people ) and WorldCom (otc: WCOEQ - news - people ), neither the financial anal cysts who follow the company nor the financial press raised any questions about the company over the years.

Wall Street's sell-side anal cysts finally started abandoning the company in August 2002, but not until the company made an announcement--seen as surprising--that changes in Medicare funding for outpatient physical therapy could result in the loss of $175 million from HealthSouth's annual cash flow. That news caused the company's shares to lose almost half their value. (They have since lost all of their value.)

For nearly all of Scrushy's tenure, press reports about the company were almost universally positive. In 1995, for instance, in the wake of one in a series of HealthSouth merger offers, Bloomberg News reported that then-U.S. House Speaker Newt Gingrich (R-Ga.) wanted Scrushy in Congress, and Alabama businessmen wanted him to run for governor. It quoted William Harnish, president of Forstmann Leff Associates, a money management firm with a large holding in Healthsouth, who said, "There may not be another person who has come so far and accomplished so much in corporate America."

In 1997, Scrushy, then 45, achieved total compensation of $106 million, mostly from the sale of stock options, but including a $10 million cash bonus (see "CEO For Life") . In reporting on the news, The Associated Press quoted one Richard Scrushy, who said he agreed completely with the board of directors to reward the chairman and CEO. "I think they've felt we had an incredible year. I feel like we've worked hard and we've earned it."

A rare, and odd, exception to the universal cheers came in 1999 when HealthSouth and Scrushy sued a rare critic for libel. Those critics were anonymous posters on Yahoo! (nasdaq: YHOO - news - people ) Finance bulletin boards.

Scrushy was painted as the victim of irresponsible rumors. "Here I am, the CEO of a multibillion-dollar company, and I'm having to answer about what some weirdo has said on a message board," Scrushy lamented to The Wall Street Journal.

But at the time, Scrushy rarely had to answer to anyone else. It may have been that Scrushy went to such lengths to track down the Internet chatters because he feared any investigation by more legitimate-sounding sources would expose that their charges contained some truth, as one former HealthSouth employee, Kimberly Landry, said at the time.

For my money, the retailers are the place to be for the next couple weeks.

That news from both WMT and TGT is simple confirmation of the recent Michigan Consumer Sentiment survey results. Every other number that comes out is Fed or Corporate Manipubation.

That WMT press release didn't say that purchases of "WMT gift cards" was effecting their comparisons, they said that the trend toward gift cards was. Big difference, as it may well be that they are saying that this general trend is sending disposable income to other retailers. Would you really want a Wal-Mart gift card on Christmas Day, or would a lump of coal suffice?

My guess is that Al is going to either come up with a way to discredit the Michigan survey in the future or find some other way to shut it down. That's the big fly in the ointment that they haven't gotten around yet, and it matters a bunch.

Might as well expect some criminally-timed RETAIL SECTOR UPGRADES today by every anal cyst with a pulse...but TGT is TOAST and I'll likely jump on CC today as well.

I'll be in the air back to sunny FLA today and hope to rejoin you tonight from there with the DOW below 10000 and TGT down 15%.

Plunger

Archived