B4 The Bell Frieday September 17

Hiding Bear

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"Time to evaluate the ultimate long-term consequences. It follows, that a contraction in consumer spending at least equal to the stimulation effect will now manifest without any increase in interest rates. Exactly how much of it can be ascribed directly to the falling interest rate stimulation is difficult to pin point but hardly relevant as the simple answer is ?the majority?. The conservative answer is ?a significant portion?. You can decide how much poison. I think it matters little, as it will be too much poison even if you are only inclined to ascribe less than the majority to the stimulation. Looking at the official numbers is however most revealing." http://www.financialsense.com/Market/wrapup.htm

From ECRI

A separate measure of U.S. economic performance from the Economic Cycle Research Institute, which covers a broad range of indicators in an effort to forecast turning points in growth, pointed to tough times ahead.

ECRI's weekly leading index slipped to 131.7 in the week ended Sept. 10 compared with 132.5 in the previous week.

"The continued weakness in a number of components of the index suggests that it's more than just high oil prices that are ailing the economy," said Lakshman Achuthan, managing director at ECRI.

"It's an open question whether this lackluster growth gives way to more serious downturn in 2005 or we have a reacceleration in growth. We don't know yet," he said.

http://www.businesscycle.com/showstory.php?storyID=720

more from same: " Here?s the paradox, Personal Consumption Expenditures must now fall by say $1.1 trillion just to remain the same as before the artificially induced debt quantum. The effect is immediate for the individual debtor who followed Greenspan?s advice and took out the maximum debt. That is almost 3 years worth of debt-induced ?growth? in Personal Consumption Expenditures! Is there anything else that can take its place? Probably not. This is simple cause and effect."

Thinking I'd missed something....I just got off the phone with my MP-we currently have 7 to 10 U.S. Military members some with their families seeking refugee status in Canada. Some came back from Iraq and came here, others were to be deployed there and came here. They are still here after many months going thru Immigration appeals which as I said previously can go on for years. They like others are allowed to work as they go thru the hoops. There has been no agreement signed with the U.S. that would mean their automatic return. Martin could sign such an agreement but I doubt he would, being smart he would bring it before Parliament and I doubt it would get passed. Canada is not anti a just war but is anti folly. Iraq one and Afghanistan had our full participation but Nam and Iraq 2 did not. In reference to Immigration sure marry a Canuck and you are in, Doctors, Engineers, Scientists, Registered Nurses, Entrepreneurs with money all get a free pass. Got a Canadian relative who can sponsor and will be responsible for you again pretty much a free pass. There are over 300 occupations and categories listed that require only being hired and sponsored by a Canadian Company. Having said all that the "refugee " route is the most popular there are apparently about 2 hundred thousand of those claims backlogged now and those folk are living and working here. Those with criminal records or terrorism ties can forget about it, they go right back where they from but that policy only came in after 911. Citizenship can be acquired in 3 years and in some cases within a year.

Archived