Doc And Hui Sittin' In A Tree

• Replies 247
  • Created
  • Last Reply
if prtzl logic is here:

i think what creme-her and cut-low said today (dow up 40% this year, market will go up because of this package 100% sure, and so on) is a cllassic and if you can afford the time it would be a great pleasure if you could make one of your famous "songs"

:) :) :)

Prtzl could do amazing things with those two. The only problem is sampling those a-holes could damage his computer. Although it survived just-a -colon.

Hello All,

I'm new to this board (I am quite impressed with the knowledge, insight, helpful links and also the ability to make investing chat highly entertaining!). I have a question for the more knowledgable. I notice that recently the index put/call ratio has been higher than the overall put/call ratio (Thanks for posting it DoubleFlush! Any web site I can find it at?). At first I thought that this signifies that the big boys are buying more puts (relative to others), so the bigger money players must be bearish. Then I thought, well maybe not, since somebody big must be writing those puts,. So now I am not sure, or perhaps don't quite understand how to interpret it. Can anybody help???

Welcome Bevwenz. Sorry I won't try to answer that one. Yes there are two sides to every trade. :wink2:

Well now they have convinced me of the rally the volume is much stronger today.

Total Volume:

NYSE 1,903,317,780

NASTY 1,714,940,624

Meta, did volume surge as they jumped over it? I'm not shorting them. Still a chance that they could be fake outs with at least one more disappointing move down to flatline on this next assumed move down in markets. We'll see how they perform on this next leg down.

Chould be very interesting buy candidates at March 03 bottom like Fart suggests.

Total Volume:

NYSE ?1,903,317,780

NASTY ?1,714,940,624

Hmmmmm on volume...

I got....

NYSE 1,532,249,xxx

NASTY 1,731,391,xxx

Just like everything else on stocks, never the same two answers.

Thanks to all for the helpful suggestions re Stool trading. Rockhead and DUke in particular had some great ideas which Doc never woulda thunk of. Duh! :blink:

This is a work in progress, and we had an obvious glitch today which needs to eb worked out. But I think it has potential.

Many tanks to you!

Hello All,

I'm new to this board (I am quite impressed with the knowledge, insight, helpful links and also the ability to make investing chat highly entertaining!).  I have a question for the more knowledgable.  I notice that recently the index put/call ratio has been higher than the overall put/call ratio (Thanks for posting it DoubleFlush!  Any web site I can find it at?).  At first I thought that this signifies that the big boys are buying more puts (relative to others), so the bigger money players must be bearish.  Then I thought, well maybe not, since somebody big must be writing those puts,.  So now I am not sure, or perhaps don't quite understand how to interpret it.  Can anybody help???

bevwenz - the data source for my charts is CBOE Market Data. I generate the chart that I post from that data. You'll only find those charts on CapitalStool.

I notice that recently the index put/call ratio has been higher than the overall put/call ratio

That's the case most of the time. The index players are a smaller volume, around 10% of the equity players, and have been more on the short side so the index P/C is higher than the overall option put/call ratio.

At first I thought that this signifies that the big boys are buying more puts (relative to others), so the bigger money players must be bearish.  Then I thought, well maybe not, since somebody big must be writing those puts

About the fact that someone is writing those puts - JPM is sitting on a huge gold short position taking a beating now - and they're professional investors. Someone provided the puts that paid-off on Enron. I don't know what the answer is, but commercial investors may be willing to take losses if they're selling those puts as a hedge for another purpose. Don't know.

I think that investors who buy index options tend to watch major trends, charting, Elliot Waves, etc to decide their plays. I think equity investors do the same as well as make plays based on the general perception of the stock direction. There's about 10x equity option players over index, so I think the equity index shows more of the broad perception of the market than does index options. That's just my opinion.

Those intra-day numbers do not represent intra-day option plays but any option purchased during the day. We're hitting points now where I'm sure index options players that follow T/A and Elliot Waves are buying puts for use over the next couple of months. Those are probably pushing intra-day P/Cs up for the index side over that last couple of days. That would be my guess. But, what do I know.

Total Volume:

NYSE ?1,903,317,780

NASTY ?1,714,940,624

Hmmmmm on volume...

I got....

NYSE 1,532,249,xxx

NASTY 1,731,391,xxx

Just like everything else on stocks, never the same two answers.

Yeah can't even get a straight answer on volume. Mine comes from Scottrade let me know if it's wrong.

Scottrade market summary

Archived