Glossary Part 3

Standing in a doorway, braced with your arms being shaken about, watching the chandelier jump about erratically/wildly and swing in large circles, wondering if floors above you will "pancake" at any moment, is an experience.

Try it sometime!!!

One tends to FURget quakes fairly soon. However, FUR several hours afterward it's rather "unettling" shall HRFF say?

Sitting in a house listening to the wind and rain outside gather in unrelenting intensity, shaking the windows and doors, ripping away plywood protection that took a long time to install is also edifying. Even if it only is piddling 80 or 90 mph gusts doing it.

If you don't care FUR that, try huddling in the SW corner of a basement while a massive thunderstorm rages outside. (Tornados usually come out of the SW)

Nothing quite beats getting caught on a mountaintop/peneplain at oh, say 10.5 or 11k feet in a lightning storm w nowhere to go/downward. If you get really involved you can see St Elmo's FUR on the end of your ice axe.

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Spot on,imo. "In his September ?Richeb?cher Letter? a final section title stands as ?No Foundation for Recovery? which was the result of banter back and forth, pushing a title to the top. For fully three years the US consumers, leaders, and bankers have systematically resisted the natural process of cleansing excesses and rectifying imbalances. Far from it. Instead, the trade deficit has increased. Corporate balance sheets are every bit as much loaded with debt. Household balance sheets are burdened by greater debt. Financial speculation has produced a Treasury bond bubble, a mortgage bond bubble, and its flipside housing bubble. A consumption bubble continues unabated, fed by debt. Capital investment is lacking in the face of idle antiquated mfg plant. Economic structures are horribly out of balance, perhaps to a greater degree than in 1999 and 2000. We talk incessantly about a recovery without preparing for one. With little thought, we await a knee-jerk reaction to federal stimulus and monetary stimulus, without the results. Instead of questioning why the last two years of stimulus failed, we prescribe even more extreme measures of the same, inviting disaster. We have no foundation for anything but a more monumental bust, this time led by the much larger bond markets."

just reading jim willie's piece about richeb?cher at financialsense.com.

it's impossible to read something like that and be bullish. well, except maybe about commodities. :)

PS:

Anone else been onboard the CYPT train for the last two weeks?

Very painful lesson on how to put in a limit order. I tried to buy 500 shares at the .69 price the day after you posted.

From the glossary at Scottrade my understanding was that the limit was the price the trade could fluctuate during the transaction. Put in the order, waited for hours, cancelled. Tried again at a higher price, determined to wait however long it took--the price kept going up so fast, I kept upping my "limit" (laugh track here).

Finally called my local broker who explained what to do from now on. $500 dollars later I'm on board for 100 shares @ $1.75 and will no doubt have to suffer through a massive correction and weeks till the price returns to what I paid. What else is new? Still laughing after all these weeks. :P :rolleyes: :blink:

A hurricane hit Newport/Watch Hill R.I. and swept houses from their foundations into the sea and across the bay. It came with little warning on a balmy afternoon. That happened early? in the last century sometime. It flattened unbelievable nos of trees throughout New England.

The paths hurricanes take can be wildly unpredictable. HRFF once saw the Hurricane Center in Miami, right across the street, practically, FURom the lawr skool, put up a graph of their tortuous, cork-screw/squiggly-like paths. One looked just like a "bobby pin" that went up the E Coast of FL, turned 180 deg on a dime and came right back down it toward/to Miami.

So take this tracking projection with at least a few grains of salt. Looks like the U.S. is going to get hit, but where, exactly, is too soon to say.

Looks like the U.S. is going to get hit, but where, exactly, is too soon to say.

Leave NC out of it, if you please Ms. Isabel.

Floyd crushed my old hometown of Rocky Mount.

It'd be nice if nothing happened... but at this point, it seems like many will just have to tighten the tummy and wait for the punch.

Lady Fokker sez Machinehead's a babe... ?Rut ro!

:ph34r:

I don't want to be around when Bare reads that... :lol:

Now I know why Mousey is always so happy. ;) Doc & Machine, you too!

Thank you Rock Ledge. That was very nice of you to say. I showed your post to Madame Dung.

Between the stoolies that attended the NYCASS party and those who saw our wive's pictures on IDS last week, the overwhelming consensus is that all of us married above our station and don't deserve them.

Btw, all things being equal, Gruff should be somewhere over the Atlantic on his way back to Brussels right now. I spent yesterday evening with him and his hostess Bernadette at her apartment and out and about for dinner. We had a great time into the wee hours of this morning. What a fantastic guy. He may come back to NYC in December. If he doesn't stay with Bernadette again (her son may be home from college at that time), he is going to be a guest of Madame

Dung and mine.

TE, thanks for putting up the pictures on LOB but, you forgot (yea, sure) to put up the moon shot in front of NASDAQ!

Depends, arer you sure you're not talking about Agnes? I lived in the mtns of PA then, and even up there we had to use boats to get to our farmhouses for 3 to 6 months later. The tornados were horrific! Now I live in Augusta, Ga and they kinda whiz and bang around below us and around us. We just get the flooding. Except for Hugo, but that is a totally different story. :blink:

just reading jim willie's piece about richeb?cher at financialsense.com.

it's impossible to read something like that and be bullish. well, except maybe about commodities. :)

tanks for that fantastic link, always a pleasure to read Kurt, i think he gets the macro picture right, what that helps for everyday trading is another question, but his takes on the economy are always a pleasure to read.

"Kurt had only contempt for the Harvard crowd, whom he called worthless, producing rubbish" :lol:

i lauighed my ass off when i read the "My impressions of France and Cannes" part:

"When I arrived at my airport boarding lounge in the Paris Charles de Gaulle Airport, I came across a man who tipped the scales at approximately 280 lbs, of height less than mine. I stole a short snooze under the seats for another hour with my big bag used as a pillow. When I awoke, I saw a woman on cell phone jabbering loudly, at least 60 lbs overweight. In line as we boarded, a man huffed and puffed under the burden of moving both body and baggage, perhaps close to 80 lbs overweight. It struck me. I can rest assured that, yes indeed, I was close to home in America." :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

one scary part for bears:

"KR: ?The idea of an economic recovery with such a huge trade imbalance is utterly ridiculous.?, yes thats right "How on earth can a nation expect or realize an economic recovery when $500 billion is sent abroad to pay its trade bills?", also correct, ok ok now the scary part: "I told of stories in the mid-1970s when the first $100 billion trade deficit was registered. Back then, economists warned that the capital loss was dangerous, while foreign dependence possibly could lead to instability. Such concerns are not now evident."

so in the 70s there was a 100 billion deficit, now a 500 billion, but equity markets are up more than 1000% from the 70s lows........ :huh: :o :( :(

not that history must repeat, but...........

good night. :)

From Drudge (FWIW):

MICROSOFT AND MOTOROLA SAID TO BE IN CELL PHONE VENTURE: Microsoft plans to announce on Monday that Motorola has agreed to produce a high-end phone based on the Windows Mobile software platform, media sources tell DRUDGE... Phone designed to make it easy to use e-mail messaging, synchronize phone with a computer... Developing...

Depends, arer you sure you're not talking about Agnes?

Lucy - It was Hazel that went the distance in '54 - probably before your time. Agnes was a monster too. I was in Virginia when it came through.

Isabel looks stronger.

#7 Hazel

#12 Agnes

http://www.erh.noaa.gov/er/lwx/Historic_Ev...sOfCentury.html

Hazel

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/pastcost_text.html

We're gonna need a hurricane thread.

Un affichage merveilleux de l'humilit? et de la grace.

:D

Fokker: "Alors, Jos?e, quelle est votre r?plique?"

Lady Fokker, starting up the window fan in exasperation from the depths of an autumnal flash weakend Montreal heatwave : "I dunno, tell 'em I'm hot."

:shocked Fokker, who swears to the veracity of her every word, decides to log back off. :lol:

Archived