IDS World Market Thur 5th March 09

• Replies 379
  • Created
  • Last Reply

t?s=^AORD

All Ords managed to drag itself into the green, currently +1.1%. Gains in most sectors are a touch sparse but Miners are doing well, +4.1% followed by Materials +3.7% and then a fair drop down to Energy, +2.1%.

Gold is the reddest (but maybe not for long), -2.2%, Consumer Staples -1.4%, Utilities -0.9% and Consumer Discretionary -0.6%.

:lol: :lol: Of course, I was talking about the speed of early development, but Debra sounds like she's killed tooo many brain cells in her adventures. You have the right amount of acerbic wit to do stand up me thinks. :lol:

Bucky gives up the 89 handle first thing this morning.

Don't think she had that many to begin with, Speak. ;)

Shorty is a master of the emoticon conversation but I haven't seen him do any for a while...

Damn that USD, just refuses to die...

Australian Building Approvals Drop for Seventh Month

March 5 (Bloomberg) -- Australian home-building approvals unexpectedly fell in January for a seventh month, adding to signs the economy is in a recession.

The number of permits granted to build or renovate houses and apartments declined 3.7 percent from December, when they dropped a revised 1.9 percent, the Bureau of Statistics said in Sydney today. The median estimate of 18 economists surveyed by Bloomberg was for a 1 percent gain.

---------------

Australia Extends Ban on Short Selling of Financials

March 5 (Bloomberg) -- The Australian Securities and Investments Commission extended a ban on selling short financial stocks until May 31, as global banks and insurers tumble amid the credit crisis.

----------------

Australia?s Trade Surplus Widens as Imports Decline

March 5 (Bloomberg) -- Australia?s trade surplus widened in January as falling imports, including cars, outpaced a drop in exports.

The trade surplus expanded to A$970 million ($628 million) from a revised A$414 million in December, the Bureau of Statistics said in Sydney today. The median estimate of 19 economists surveyed by Bloomberg News was for A$1.1 billion.

fas/faz option pain

http://www.optionpain.com/MaxPain/Max-Pain.php

http://www.optionpain.com/MaxPain/Max-Pain.php

"5" times as many calls and puts on faz (3xinverse financials) at strike price

than calls on fas (3x financials) at strike price

i dont know how to read this or if there is anything meaningful in it ?

calls hugely outnumber puts on both these etfs

w?s=^AORD

Up but not with any real enthusiasm. All Ords +0.7%, IT popped into the lead, +2.9% followed by Miners +2.8% and Materials +2.4%.

In the downers, Gold remained in front, -3% with REITS next, -2.8% and Healthcare -0.3%.

Nice moves for the big miners: BHP +4.4% and RIO +5.2%. In the golds, Lihir lost a chunk, -9.4%, Newcrest -0.8% and Newmont -0.3%.

Oils: Woodside +1.5%, Santos +1.4% and Caltex -1.7%.

Asia mixed: China +1%, Honkers -1.2%, India -2% and Nikkers +2%.

Over to UK/Europe:

Footsie

image;size=239x110

DAX

image;size=239x110

CAC 40

image;size=239x110

http://finance.yahoo.com/

India's Inflation Slows to 3.03%, Lowest Since 2002

March 5 (Bloomberg) -- India's inflation slowed to the lowest since 2002, giving the central bank room to add to yesterday's cut in interest rates.

Wholesale prices climbed 3.03 percent in the week to Feb. 21 from a year earlier after gaining 3.36 percent the previous week, the commerce ministry said in New Delhi today. Economists expected an increase of 3.07 percent.

Reserve Bank of India Governor Duvvuri Subbarao yesterday slashed interest rates for the fifth time since October to revive an economy growing at the slowest pace in six years. Economists including Rajeev Malik said further cuts can be expected as the global recession threatens to pummel India.

Japan Companies Cut Spending 18.1%, Most in Decade

March 5 (Bloomberg) -- Japanese companies cut spending last quarter at the fastest pace in a decade as exports crashed and earnings at manufacturers from Toyota Motor Corp. to Sharp Corp. evaporated.

Capital spending excluding software fell 18.1 percent in the three months ended Dec. 31 from a year earlier, a seventh quarterly decline, the Ministry of Finance said today in Tokyo. Profits tumbled 64.1 percent, the most since 1974.

The plunge in investment, along with a drop in inventories, probably means last quarter?s decline in gross domestic product was steeper than the annualized 12.7 percent reported last month. Economists predict an even worse contraction in the current three months as an unprecedented slump in exports and production prompts companies to fire thousands of workers.

No material change in the count from yesterday.

I know I'm in the minority again, as it seems most here are looking for more rally... but I still think we need one more move down toward 670-680 to finish this wave.

Please note that the elapsed time for the waves is mainly just the best use of the space on the chart. EW is better at predicting price than time.

Green alternate count is for the people who think we're getting more rally -- I think it's pretty unlikely, but not impossible. It would make wave v (the terminal to wave iii) VERY short relative to wave i (the blue "i"). You can see that this wave i was around 45 points -- normally i and v are roughly equal.

post-160-1236243065_thumb.png

German Retail Sales Unexpectedly Fall on Job Fears

March 5 (Bloomberg) -- Retail sales in Germany, Europe?s largest economy, unexpectedly fell in January as consumers fretted about job security and reined in spending.

Sales, adjusted for inflation and seasonal swings, declined 0.6 percent from December, when they rose 0.5 percent, the Federal Statistics Office in Wiesbaden said today. Economists forecast a gain of 0.2 percent, the median of 24 estimates in a Bloomberg News survey shows.

From a year earlier, retail sales declined 1.3 percent, today?s report showed. Sales of food, tobacco and beverages declined 2.4 percent from a year earlier and households curbed spending on clothes and shoes by 1.5 percent.

Car sales, which are not captured in the statistics office data, increased 4.1 percent in the month after a 2 percent decline in December, the Bundesbank said in a separate report.

Bank Charges May Surge as Mortgages Marked to Market

March 4 (Bloomberg) -- Patricia Greenberg?s townhouse in Irvine, California, was losing about $10,000 a month in value when she received a letter in February 2008 that looked too good to be true: An investor was offering to cut her $472,000 mortgage by 26 percent and her monthly payment by a third.

?I didn?t want to get involved in a scam,? says Greenberg, a cosmetics saleswoman for Orlane Inc., who had bought the house with no money down eight months earlier.

It was no ruse. New York hedge fund manager Ralph DellaCamera Jr. says he?d purchased the mortgage for 60 cents on the dollar and forced the originator, MLSG Home Loans of Reno, Nevada, to eat the loss. Protecting his investment, DellaCamera lowered Greenberg?s debt to keep her in the home. She now pays $2,400 a month instead of $3,800 and plows some of her savings into upgrading the Cape Cod-style residence.

?We felt there was going to be an opportunity going forward, not anticipating that it would be as bad and ugly as it is,? says DellaCamera. He says he has bought about $125 million in distressed mortgages, a 10th of his target, through affiliate National Asset Direct Inc., based in San Diego.

A cosmetics saleperson! Good luck with that DellaCamera...think you'll be eating a loss yourself soon enough...

Archived