The Roundtable Discussion

Most of the brokers I've had contact with over the years were not crooked, just lazy and unimaginative--they simply follow the party line ("it's time in the market, not market timing" etc.), push the companies products, etc. I gave up looking for the smart and honest 20%. Your clients don't know how lucky they are.

Funny, I called Edward Jones today to move an IRA account over to Waterhouse for more selection of NO LOAD funds and specifically BEARX and I got the exact same party line to the EXACT WORDS! He was pretty pissed when I told him to close it out even after his time in the market, think LLLLOOOOONNNNGGGGG term spiel!

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sweef, those green onions.. would those be shallots?

It's cold as Abby Joe's wit in a brass brassiere, howling snow... a fine night not to be outside in Montreal, which I'm not.

Underwater on my C puts, my JPM puts, and most of my Q puts. Way way way up on my miners, and still a big cash position in the account. Trouble is, here in Canuckistan, there are ZERO bear funds. As in, none. And so my strategy is to short the indices with options, dong the miners with funds, and wait for a bottom with cash to dong it. And, in the meantime, watch all my neighbours go broke in their retirement accounts.

Still, a good hard panic plunge would be good..

Curious. Who here was in puts/shorts for 9/11/01? Musta been a nervous wait for the markets to reopen.

Curious. Who here was in puts/shorts for 9/11/01? Musta been a nervous wait for the markets to reopen.

I had a few Sept DJX puts during the week of 9/11. (I closed out most of my short position on 9/8, based on the dover sole sharts). I phoned the CBOE to see if opex would be extended if the markets did not reopen in a few days. I was told that they would not. I sold my puts as soon as the market reopened, with a market order that was executed within a few seconds. But I was feeling so low that week it didn't feel good making money.

How many of us have an extra boom box, an extra DVD player and an extra alarm clock in our closets? Many have extra TV's although HDTV should spark TV sales over the next 2-3 years. That is the only innovation left right now.

Thanks, Martial.

I think of this every time I see the madness at Best Buy, et al.

There isn't one thing at Best Buy I really need.

Guest BEARDRECH
Tanks Greg

Are you feeling any better?

Still sick- call me Captain Mucous! Currently working on litre #4 (approx my 1st gallon) of my homemade ginger and ginseng tea. Made a huge vat last night. Mr. Market just needs to cooperate with a strong, sharp drop, and I'll be back on top :wink2:

fokker

have you heard of a nostrum called COLLOIDAL SILVER?

wHY dont you try some--sure the rumours of side effects like invaginated testiculoritis;cleft anus,rosaceous fistulas and armour plated carbuncles are in abundance but take a devil-may care attitude and see if a little dab will do ya--

Joking aside i've tried it a number of times,enough to have nullified the placebo effect,and its done me just fine

bon appetite

beardrech :) :)

Tanks Greg

Are you feeling any better?

Still sick- call me Captain Mucous! Currently working on litre #4 (approx my 1st gallon) of my homemade ginger and ginseng tea. Made a huge vat last night. Mr. Market just needs to cooperate with a strong, sharp drop, and I'll be back on top :wink2:

fokker

have you heard of a nostrum called COLLOIDAL SILVER?

wHY dont you try some--sure the rumours of side effects like invaginated testiculoritis;cleft anus,rosaceous fistulas and armour plated carbuncles are in abundance but take a devil-may care attitude and see if a little dab will do ya--

Joking aside i've tried it a number of times,enough to have nullified the placebo effect,and its done me just fine

bon appetite

beardrech :) :)

And if you take enough colloidal silver it will turn your skin blue-gray, like that guy who was running for senator in Utah or someplace, who finally had to release his doctor's report because he looked like something out of Night of the Living Dead.

Maybe you should just put a Krugerrand or Maple Leap in the food processor and try colloidal gold? :grin:

Ethics: - "Bad news can only go so far."

-- USF business school dean Robert Anderson

"Anderson says the day of reckoning is coming, perhaps late this year when corporations finalize their annual figures. The fallout will come in the form of drastically revised and reduced corporate earnings and, consequently, sharp plunges in stock prices.

The financial hurt on the economy and on corporate employees who depend on those pension funds will make the federal bailout of the savings and loan industry in the 1980's look like a school picnic, the USF dean warns. "

http://www.sptimes.com/2003/01/13/Columns/...t_s_not_t.shtml

. . . I think his time frame may be a little too long.

It's day of WRECKoning ?...

By the time it arrives we'll be distracted by FUReign ? entanglements and weapons of mass destruction, especially bioterrorism and no one will think much about an economy in the tank.

Betcha.

Just betcha. It's ass old ass ? THE HILL*s. (*That'z FUR Stool :wink2:)

Sooner, rather than later?

Who around here came up with that ANALogy ? of the economy as equivalent of nuclear reactor containment vessel about to blow/melt down?

well, maybe this is the ultimate "dull market". Maybe Da Boyz have been letting it drift sidewaze FUR months on end to suck in the max no. of shortz to kill, w INTC.

Maybe.

Maybe SNOT.

Maybe something will go HAYWIRE to thwart the catalyst now seemingly necessary to punch through overhead resistance once and FUR all.*

*Zsa Zsa's motto: "All 'FUR' one, and one 'FUR' all!"

Any more sentiment about the toilet flushing soon and I will take all my gold/mines and bearx and move them into a sp500 index fund just to teach you guys about inverse empathy.

Why Intel is a benchmark is beyond me. It's been a slow, painful death over the last couple of years. With all their cash on hand maybe they should look towards acquiring Walmart with sights on in-store groceries expansion. Intel could convert their distribution centers throughout the world from chips to chips.

I need a quick run up for a day or two so I can cash out of ISON since I bought on the highs and need to recoup. Everyone do a head fake long on them tomorrow please.

Intel is like seeing your former 16 year old hottie at the high school reunion with a couple toddlers in tow and a Medicaid card. You drool for the rest of your life for another 15 minutes in the back seat with her - frozen in time - but the memories fade to gray very quickly as time goes on. Investors have yet to reach the "gray zone" yet, though they are starting to see the tummy bulge and spandex sweat pants now.

The hope will disappear when investors find another girl friend. ? Gold. Just an erotic thought.

Most of the brokers I've had contact with over the years were not crooked, just lazy and unimaginative--they simply follow the party line ("it's time in the market, not market timing" etc.), push the companies products, etc. I gave up looking for the smart and honest 20%. Your clients don't know how lucky they are.

Funny, I called Edward Jones today to move an IRA account over to Waterhouse for more selection of NO LOAD funds and specifically BEARX and I got the exact same party line to the EXACT WORDS! He was pretty pissed when I told him to close it out even after his time in the market, think LLLLOOOOONNNNGGGGG term spiel!

HA, GOOD ONE ! :lol:

STICK IT TO HIM!

FELT GOOD I'm sure.

Archived