Another Happy print!

• Replies 417
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Greenspan finally admits to being clueless but blames credit ratings agencies and Congress for world financial collapse.

Alan Greenspan, the former chairman of the Federal Reserve, told Crapvision in a documentary to be shown Thursday night that he did not fully understand the scope of the subprime mortgage market until well into 2005 and could not make sense of the complex derivative products created out of mortgages.....While Mr. Greenspan acknowledges that he could have done something to avert the housing crisis, he contends his hands were tied. “If we tried to suppress the expansion of the subprime market, do you think that would have gone over very well with the Congress?” Mr. Greenspan said. “When it looked as though we were dealing with a major increase in home ownership, which is of unquestioned value to this society — would we have been able to do that? I doubt it.”

Story

Could someone please hand that moran a mirror.

IRS Going After Mortgage Tax Cheaters

The cash-strapped federal government may be especially aggressive on compliance this year.

This bodes ill for Cabinet members. :lol: :angry:

Of course, the IRS technically reports to Geithner -- so maybe it won't be a problem for them. Wink wink, nudge nudge, knowotimean? ;)

Our current bear is, at the very least, one degree higher than 02/03 -- i.e.- it's a cycle degree bear. Our best hope for the fractal to play out on a shorter time frame is if Primary A ended (or ends) soon -- which is entirely possible. Then we could play out the fractal with a Primary B bounce for awhile, and everyone who got burned 5 years ago would be fooled this time, thinking they'd learned from that market -- unaware that the rules have changed. That would set up Primary C, which would be the big Shorty-type NASTY.

There is another possibility I'm considering (it's remote, but maybe worth mentioning). That is that Primary A ended Nov. and Primary B is ending now/soon -- this is unlikely, because it would be a very abridged B, but if the cycle downdrafts are strong enough, anything's possible. So we could head (more or less) directly to the C wipeout, do not pass go, do not collect 200 dollars.

Yeah...fractals repeating on multiple timeframes doesn't necessarily imply correlations that run indefinitely.

Primary B ending now would be massively bearish.

fundamentals are the ultimate lagging indicator

On a macro basis, I've shown that unemployment rates run close to concurrent with stock prices and in 2 very important cases actually gave months of advance warning that stocks were headed the wrong way. http://wallstreetexaminer.com/2009/02/06/w...-dont-tell-you/

However, as a commenter on the WSE pointed out, the UE rates are only released a month after the fact.

Also Roxy pointed out that on a macro basis stocks can badly lag the fundamentals, as shown by the enormous gaps that open up when earnings surprise.

stim bill fun:

. The guy is holding the stim bill (or maybe something else). it is HUGE. He rails against the fact that nobody has read the entire bill. No different from the TARP bill or anything else those clowns vote on.

i think the first tarp was like 2 pages .... it said " give us 700 billion, no question asked or judicial review ever needed" lol

i think we start inflation now.... OIL is going up with FOODS etc. the 13 dollars we get from mr obama will be spent on gas im sure.

Some believe inflation won't start to kick in until banks have the ability to lend again.

See prediction #5 http://houston.craigslist.org/pol/1033927871.html

Otherwise, real stimulus is like "A trillion dollars divided among American taxpayers comes to about $7,000 per taxpayer."

K....can you create a similar chart that shows what the bottom and eventual recovery looked like in the '02-'03 period below (first red circle)?

post-6859-1234563593_thumb.png

here's a multi time frame look at 2002-2003 bottom...

As you can see, the ribbon is rolling over to a greater degree than in 2003, and the bounce off the weekly 900 may be about to fail, which could lead to a large, rapid decline, as we would be breaking over a decade of support, with no real support after that until the 1994 lows...

I am am still leery of a stick save in this area though, that could lead to multi-month rally towards 10K, but if we start to accelerate away from 8K over the next few weeks, the abyss beckons....

Da problem I have with this comparison is that I believe this is a higher degree bear market than that one.

My best guess is that the 02/03 low was primary 4 bottoming, i.e.- a primary bear. That mean '07 was the cycle top -- and possibly also a supercycle top.

Our current bear is, at the very least, one degree higher than 02/03 -- i.e.- it's a cycle degree bear. Our best hope for the fractal to play out on a shorter time frame is if Primary A ended (or ends) soon -- which is entirely possible. Then we could play out the fractal with a Primary B bounce for awhile, and everyone who got burned 5 years ago would be fooled this time, thinking they'd learned from that market -- unaware that the rules have changed. That would set up Primary C, which would be the big Shorty-type NASTY.

There is another possibility I'm considering (it's remote, but maybe worth mentioning). That is that Primary A ended Nov. and Primary B is ending now/soon -- this is unlikely, because it would be a very abridged B, but if the cycle downdrafts are strong enough, anything's possible. So we could head (more or less) directly to the C wipeout, do not pass go, do not collect 200 dollars.

Who knows which is right, it won't become apparent until we're farther along -- but either way, even if we form a "bottom" here similar to 02/03, I believe it will eventually (as in a year or two at most) fail in spectacular fashion.

If we dont fall apart right here, still lookin at this possibility....

Archived