Alternative and Renewable Energy Stocks

stanley

interesting article about a possible ENER joint venture in Malta:

American company interested in solar energy joint venture in Malta

In a letter he received on 14 September, ECD said they were interested in a joint venture with Maltese entrepreneurs. A 50 per cent joint venture agreement would be concluded with the Maltese investor ? from the private or public sector ? to set up a factory. Such an operation would entail the employment of around 200 people.

one reason I find the article interesting is that I haven't seen this information made public anywhere else. but more questions than answers here. would this factory serve only Malta (seems unlikely) or would it be intended to serve other EU countries (Malta's membership could be a plus, but it's island location may not be)?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

don't mean to turn this into the ENER thread, but they're up $1 as I type this after their usual mid-day earnings release. The news is they have earnings, they turned a proft, but largely due to one-time items and they seem to be sticking with their goal of sustained profitability by 7/06. But solar sales were definitely up and that operation may already be profitable:

Energy Conversion Devices Announces First Quarter Fiscal 2005 Operating Results

Product sales increased 110% on the strength of an $8.2 million (175%) sales increase in United Solar Ovonic's photovoltaic products. Royalties increased $1.1 million primarily as a result of recognition as revenue of an advanced royalty payment received in 1993 under which the licensee no longer has an obligation to make payments.

I have been holding off looking at the TA for this sector too closely because the election seemed to jerk them around. It might be time to see which held up the best.

more good news for solar:

Spain makes solar panels mandatory in new buildings

SPAIN wants to take advantage of its sunshine by making solar panels compulsory in new and renovated buildings ? to save fuel costs and to improve the environment.

of course critics complain about the added 1100-1400 euro cost, even though housing prices of doubled since 99 without solar.

here's a technology I hadn't seen before - it would be interesting if it's practical, but I am definitely NOT recommending the stock, which is a BB that trades at .40 (I'll edit this post if needed - but many of the alternative energy stocks trade under $2):

Rolls of Thin-Film Semi-Transparent Solar Cells May Hold Promising Commercial Future

XsunX, Inc. (OTCBB:XSNX - News), developer of Power Glass -- a breakthrough solar technology that allows windows to produce electricity from the power of the sun, announced today that their phase two development program is now moving to the development and testing of their process on thin film plastics. Recent success in the development of large area monolithic cell structures on glass surfaces has prompted the development move in advance of previous plans.

• 1 month later...

ReCap and updates:

(1) Alternative Energy Gets Real - BusinessWeek Online

Thursday December 23, 8:19 am ET

By John Carey http://biz.yahoo.com/bizwk/041223/b3914456_1.html

(2) Alternative Energy Gets Real -

2005 INVESTMENT OUTLOOK -- THE BEST PLAYS

Pricey oil and gas are heating up industrial interest in renewable sources

http://yahoo.businessweek.com/magazine/con...52/b3914456.htm

(3)Evergreen Shares Up on Wafer Patent Filing - Associated Press

Tuesday December 7, 3:33 pm ET

http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/041207/evergreen_mover_1.html

(4)ReCap

Posted on: May 7 2004, 06:00 AM

Solar film is in the shortage and Solar power has very good tax incentive package in Europe. ESLR spikes to 4 and moves down to 2.5 level with the general tide; open ESLR again, Evergreen solar.Long term accumulation

ESLR from 2 to 4 in 5 months, (12/29/04)

Edit: Ops, goes up to 4.6, another +15% in one day (12/30/04)

(5) PLUG (see(1)& (2)) is jogging around 6.0, open call, long term accumulation

I will probably buy in the defense sector a few days before Inaugural Week. Why? These death stocks are big,big contributors to bush and they will no doubt pick up the bill for the inaugural as LMT helped do so after the Junta of 2000. I can imagine them mysteriously rising into the coronation of prince idiot. buddha

Gtnworse be sure and check out Tern and Amcc and Brcd if you are nostalgic for Jdsu. And Cien ofcourse. b.

RE: fuel cells & platinum: most do use platinum, but not all:

Regenerative fuel cells

The Ovonic fuel cell is a practical and lower cost approach that does not rely on the use of expensive and scarce noble metal catalysts or special proprietary membranes, as is the case with proton exchange membrane (PEM) fuel cells.

of course if it were so practical they probably wouldn't have lost their joint venture partner. :lol: but mostly pointing out that designs exist for fuel cells that don't rely on expensive catalysts.

decent IEEE article on ultracapacitors - even if it does focus too much on one player:

Super Charged

Volume fuel cell cars at least 25 years away, Toyota says

High-volume hydrogen-powered fuel cell cars are at least 25 years away, says Toyota Motor Sales U.S.A.'s top fuel cell expert.

Even General Motors, which had been pushing for fuel cell vehicles by decade end, seems to be backing off from its goal of mass production of fuel cell vehicles by 2010.

• 3 weeks later...

well, ESLR pulled back, which is good because I don't have a position yet. would like to pick up a little long term, but will be patient. wonder if some of the movement in these and other shares has to do with the expected introduction of an ETF based on the WilderHill index trinharder posted:

They're Easy On The Conscience

Socially responsible exchange-traded funds (ETFs) are here. Barclays Global Investors launched iShares KLD (KLD ) Select Social Index Fund on Jan. 28, while the PowerShares WilderHill Clean Energy Portfolio is awaiting Securities & Exchange Commission clearance. The iShares fund, which shuns tobacco stocks, is a broadly diversified ETF that seeks to match the risks of the Russell 1000 stock index. The fund overweights companies that score well on its screens, such as Wells Fargo (WFC ) and Fannie Mae (FNM ). The PowerShares ETF, meanwhile, will focus on alternative energy. With expense ratios capped at 0.60% for PowerShare and 0.50% for iShare, the two are cheaper than many comparable mutual funds.

think I'll be avoiding that KLD if FNM can "score well on its screens", but the PowerShares could be a useful trading tool if there's enough liquidity. unfortunately, there are a few in the index I would not describe as "clean energy" stocks: KEM for example, they mostly sell capacitors as far as I know. maybe they're looking at super capacitors or something but you're mostly getting a company that makes commodity products tied to semi cycles.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived