IDS World Markets Mon 14th July 08

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

t?s=%5EAORD

The market is refusing to drop below 5000 so I suspect we may be working up for a bounce. All Ords down a modest -0.6% led by Property Trusts, -1.9% with Healthcare and Telecomms both -1.2%. There's a couple of greenies, IT +2.1% and Energy +0.8%.

The big miners sitting it out: BHP -0.7% and RIO -1.7%. Golds doing very well, Newcrest +4.4%, Newmont +3.1% and Lihir +3.4%. Juniors flat.

Oil producers on the rise: Woodside +1.1% and Santos +1.8%. Caltex -1.2%.

w?s=%5EAORD

Bullz couldn't keep it together so All Ords slumped -1.2% and we're back in the daily chart support zone once again. It was a pretty dismal result for the day: Telecomms dived -3.5%, Property Trusts -3.2% with Consumer Discretionary and Financials both at -1.6%. IT was the only green sector, +2.5%.

The big miners both down: BHP -1.2% and RIO -2%. Golds were looking quite bullish: Newcrest +3.2%, Newmont +4.1% and Lihir +3.1%. Juniors mostly down.

In the oils, Woodside crept into the green, +0.2% and Santos closed down a mere -0.3%. Caltex finished -0.3%.

Over in Asia, China is flat, Honkers -0.8%, India -0.7% and Nikkers -0.2%.

Over to UK/Europe:

t?s=%5EFTSE

t?s=^GDAXI

t?s=%5EFCHI

http://finance.yahoo.com/intlindices?e=europe

U.K. Producer Prices Rise at the Fastest Pace Since 1986 on Oil

July 14 (Bloomberg) -- U.K. producer prices increased at the fastest pace in 22 years in June, making it harder for the Bank of England to cut interest rates as the economy edges toward a recession.

Prices charged by factories rose 10 percent from a year earlier, the most since comparable records began in 1986, the Office for National Statistics said in London today.

Manufacturers are passing on the burden of record oil costs, undercutting living standards and pushing Britain closer to its first recession since 1991. The Bank of England kept its benchmark interest rate at 5 percent on July 10 after consumer prices rose at the fastest pace in more than a decade in May.

Decoupling?

"Output in the 15 nations that share the European currency dropped 1.9 percent from the previous month, the biggest decline since December 1992, the European Union's statistics office in Luxembourg said today. From a year earlier, production decreased 0.6 percent, the first annual drop in three years. "

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=206...oaU0&refer=home

How about the good old "When the USandA sneezes the rest of world catches a cold?"

Looks like buying Freddie and Fannie at the open on Friday (which I nearly did and then couldn't pull the trigger) may have been the scalp of the year.

673176[/snapback]

I couldn't get to my computer in time Friday AM to sell my FNM and FRE Oct PUTS or I'd have then reloaded on MER, PNC or WFC for their fireworks later this week.

So how many more major institutions do you think the Treasury and Feds think they can prop up?

I couldn't get to my computer in time Friday AM to sell my FNM and FRE Oct PUTS or I'd have then reloaded on MER, PNC or WFC for their fireworks later this week.

So how many more major institutions do you think the Treasury and Feds think they can prop up?

673177[/snapback]

Dollar rallying, gold falling, not what you would expect on this news. Mr Market does like to surprise.

But no problem, another opportunity to pick up some more yellow stuff soon.

Archived