Test Thread 11/22/02

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Does anyone know anything about Toshiba cable modems? I'm beginning to wonder if that's why this is running so slowly for me and fast for everyone else. AOL is probably p.o.ed because they have to let Earthlink use their cable and they just get paid an access fee, not the whole cable fee. I wonder if they gave me a real cheap slow modem. Hmm.

Drano:

Not at home now, but have a Toshiba cable modem. Every once in a while, it's necessary to shut it off, wait two minutes, then fire it back up. That usually helps with speed issues.

Regards,

Tchaikofsky

Thanks -- this thing is a Toshiba PCX 1100. I would assume that the lower model number would indicate that it's in some way not as fast or something as the 2200. I'll check out the cablenut site, thanks. Then I'll call AOL and tell them I need a different modem if that doesn't solve it. I must say I had a very bad experience with their jerk installer, who was clueless. Am about ready to throw in the towel and go with DSL.

Edit: and yeah, I routinely have to turn the thing off and re-boot. Only happens when I need to make a trade. :angry:

I went away and tried to come back but got lost.

Remember the feature on the old board that listed

Hoo-eee, this quote function looks a lot different from the other one.

The thing with the new posts feature was, I ended up spending more time looking at that than it took just to go to the message boards!

Just trying out the quote feature.

THE FOLLOWING ERROR(S) WERE FOUND

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sorry, dynamic pages in the tags are not allowed

<_<

Thanks -- this thing is a Toshiba PCX 1100. I would assume that the lower model number would indicate that it's in some way not as fast or something as the 2200. I'll check out the cablenut site, thanks. Then I'll call AOL and tell them I need a different modem if that doesn't solve it. I must say I had a very bad experience with their jerk installer, who was clueless. Am about ready to throw in the towel and go with DSL.

Edit: and yeah, I routinely have to turn the thing off and re-boot. Only happens when I need to make a trade. :angry:

One other thing: if you're running Windows, there's a hack you can perform which should speed things up considerably. I doubled the speed of one of the machines at home with this one setting change. It's detailed here:

http://www.cable-modems.org/articles/speed_tweaks/

The download speed went from .8 to 1.5 megabits per second.

Enjoy!

I'm a Mac user, which may be part of the problem. A friend who does testing for a company that has a major internet presence says that they've been instructed not to "waste" time testing for the Mac, and to wait until a certain number of Mac users complain about problems before devoting time to trying to fix bugs. So it could be something like that causing the problems too.

Archived