The Note

battleoftrenton.jpg

Courtesy: thisnation.com

On this day in history, December 26, 1776 - General George Washington's American troops defeated a Hessian force fighting for the British at the battle of Trenton, New Jersey. It could be said that this was the most important battle of the American Revolutionary War, because the war probably would have been lost had this battle been lost. It certainly marked a main turning point in the war.

Up until that time the Continental Army had lost all of its previous engagements and was down to less than ten percent of its original size. Moreover, the enlistment for a great many of the remaining soldiers was up as of the end of the year, so that Washington desperately needed a victory on an immediate basis.

With the foregoing as background, the following is from, believe it or not, Uncle John's Legendary Lost Bathroom Reader, published by the Bathroom Readers' Press of Ashland, Oregon:

If, in 1776, a pro-British soldier had read a note instead of sticking it in his pocket, America might have lost the Revolutionary War.

What Happened: The British had captured New York and sent the rebels scattering across New Jersey. Now winter set in, and while British troops quartered in towns and villages, George Washington and his men camped in the wilderness without sufficient shoes or blankets for everyone. Morale was low: Washington badly needed a victory to rally his troops or, he said, "I think the game will be pretty near up." Just in time, Washington found out that Hessian troops (pro-British German mercenaries) stationed at Trenton were vulnerable to a surprise attack. So around midnight, December 25, he and his men secretly crossed the Delaware River to strike.

A British spy found out their plans. But when the spy arrived at the Hessian camp, he was told to leave a note for the German-speaking colonel in charge. The colonel was busy "drinking applejack and playing cards" . . . and when he was handed the note, he ignored it. It was late, he was groggy, and the note was in English, which he couldn't read. He put it in his pocket.

Washington attacked at dawn and took one thousand prisoners in a much-needed victory. The colonel was wounded on the battlefield. As he lay dying, the note was found and translated into German. Had he read it earlier, he admitted, "I would not be here."

For you history buffs out there who wish to learn more about this key battle in American history please go to the Blessed Google and punch in Battle Of Trenton.

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

guten tag liebe stoolies!

glad,

wanna thank you for the great openers every day :)

in germany we have still holidays, there is no trading in DAX, but forex is open B)

Nikkei with strong gains, indicator for what to come today in the US? :rolleyes:

btw, did get a new siemens S45i cell phone and a shaver and money to christmas :lol: :lol: :lol:

fx-

What will they think of next! Doesn't using the the shaver draw down the battery fast? Does it interfere with reception?

Hey, you're old enough to shave? :lol:

Well, I have no broadband this morning again. Good old reliable Adelphia. They sucked before the bankruptcy and they still suck.

Your Uncle Buck and the Golden Stool are updated. I'll do my best to get the stoolwethers up as well, ut may be late with Suctor Watch. I'm about an hour behind schedule.

Hope you all had a great holiday. Don't forget our Holiday Wishes thread.

Glad - waking up to your thread is like several good cups of coffee. Perfect for the day and the times. It is hard to imagine that we as a nation will need to re-adopt a military mentality again, for the umpteenth time. Fighting against a ruthless enemy seems harder thses days than fighting for something nebulous, like a Constitution, Bill of Rights, enslaved group or, of late, oil and "homeland security". The image of close, hand to hand combat against a finite enemy one can see, is nostalgically rendered here. Alas, the brutality of war and finality of death is a knowledge acquired only through experience. Many of us would feel more confident entering 2003 if our leaders reflected an underlying tone of sadness and regretful resolve, rather than one of pyrotechnical bellicosity. What artist will illustrate, for the ages, the bravery of a laser-guided drone vaporizing an Iraqi tank?

doc,

i should have placed a commata instead of "and". It wasnt a package offered by siemens like "buy a new cell phone and you will get a shaver, in these busy times, you have to able to phone and shave simultanously - Siemens: Call you honney and shave your beard!" :lol: :lol:

"Dollar weakness is being mitigated by fears over Japanese officials who are infamous for intervening over the holidays. Officials last intervened Christmas Eve 2000 to support the dollar as it was nearing 100 yen so traders remain reluctant to push USD/JPY below trendline support at the 120 handle."

:ph34r:

SG chimes in

Covered my profitable long position on Tuesday morning after a 36 hour hold... now have executed 11 of last 12 trades profitably using E waves, Fibo's etc.... and my gut....so its been a happy few months

That said

Continue to see the NDX rising to my cited 1055-1077 resistance areas. QQQ to 26.40 to 26.80, and NAS to 1420-1440

These have not changed in the last week plus as my targets. Other than gaming the tape here and there up and down, Im laying low here...

My thoughts are the risks are higher to go long due to external unknowns, and its not quite time to go short either...

Reminder of SG rules of trading

1. Dont game the tape daily, weekly...yes, daily... no

2. Go in full bore, 100% of your load at 200% leverage... and in a SHORT window. Most of my trades are 24-48 hours, with ocassional 72 hours....

3. I only game the Indices with frequent large dollar trading, not stocks themselves...

4. Stick with your method, dont deviate... dont try to be cute

5. Take profits

6. See 5

Corrective Wave 2 is still in a sloppy upside process... and she hasnt topped out yet... so its muddy waters until my cited targets are hit...

At which point I will GO SHORT LIKE A MUTHA!.... JUST NOT YET

Oh, one final update

Still long my Small Cap E-commerce stock, now up a solid 10% over last few weeks, and about to break out for a double for Simple Guy over next few weeks... so say the E waves and Fibo's... Yes I do go long Ind stocks here and there.

Last 4 indiv stock trades on same account

VTSS up 32% in a few days

SUNW up 10% in a few days

ELN up 25% in a few days

And now long DSCM since $1.90, looking for $3.30....

When you trade like this, your returns AMPLIFY big time, no such thing as buy and hold...

Time to read Doc's wethers...

Archived