Onerous opacity

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The question is asked:

Will the Market Ever Correct?

From the link:

Right now the market is being overstretched relative to its 200-day moving average. If you look at similar periods of over-extension, you will notice that the market soon experience a substantial correction.

If I had to hazard a guess, I would say that the market will move above 1400 before coming back down to earth. We may very well see a day soon when the market spikes higher, which in essence reflects short-sellers capitulating. This is when more aggressive traders should seriously look into buying long-dated puts.

spx.3.1.png

w?s=%5EAORD

All Ords, tired and grumpy, closed a low volume day at -0.1%. Movement was so limited in the sectors that it's not worth reporting.

A similar story in Asia although India is -1.4%. For the others it's China and Honkers +0.1% and Nikkers +0.3%.

On to UK/Europe:

image;size=239x110

image;size=239x110

image;size=239x110

Sorry, the gubermint won't let me wire the money!

"Four sources said the oil major owes a large sum to the National Iranian Oil Co (NIOC) for deliveries of crude, with one putting the figure at close to $1 billion. A debt of that size would equate to roughly four large tanker loads of Iranian crude or about 8 million barrels.

"Shell is working hard to figure out a way to pay NIOC," said an industry source, who requested anonymity. "It's very sensitive and very difficult. They want to stay on good terms with Iran, while abiding by sanctions.""

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/03/25/us-shell-iran-idUSBRE82O07420120325

Sounds like hedge fun manglers are throwing in the towel:

"Hedge funds trailing the Standard & Poor’s 500 (SPX) Index for the last five months are giving up on bearish bets and buying stocks at the fastest rate in two years.

A gauge of hedge-fund bullishness measuring the proportion of bets that shares will rise climbed to 48.6 last week from 42 at the end of November 2011, the biggest increase since April 2010, according to data compiled by the International Strategy & Investment Group."

"Money managers struggling to catch up with the gains have contributed to the rally that pushed the S&P 500 up 27 percent since October as economic reports beat estimates. Market bulls say they are a continuing source of cash that can move stocks higher. Bears say capitulating hedge funds are further evidence that equities have risen too far, too fast as economic growth remains sluggish, warning that the pool of potential buyers is being depleted. "

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-03-25/hedge-funds-capitulating-buy-most-stocks-since-2010.html

Time to bail?

article-1346736-0CBE1763000005DC-846_964x606.jpg

Is Chairman Bernanke pivoting from "banks need to be healthy for healthy economy" to "people need to be employed for healthy economy"?. If so why the sudden populism?. Is this again part of "synthetic QE" or is this telegraphing further easing for a purportedly noble cause?.

Notwithstanding these welcome recent signs, the job market remains quite weak relative to historical norms, as I've already noted. After nearly two years of job gains, private payroll employment remains more than 5 million jobs below its previous peak; the jobs shortfall is even larger, of course, when increases in the size of the labor force are taken into account.

Chairman Ben S. Bernanke - Recent Developments in the Labor Market

EDIT: I swear, myself and Doc must have hit the send button almost simultaneously....

Archived